1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Caminiti Busted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Nov 14, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Did y'all hear?
    Ken Caminiti got busted here in Houston for posession.

An officer stopped someone who was driving his car and the perpatrator told him he had permission to drive. He did, he was probably on a drug run for him. Anyway, the perpatrator told the police who's car it was and were he was and they sent a unit out to check on Caminiti and the perpatrators story. When they arrived at the hotel, the smell of.... get this... crack, permeated the room. Caminiti was busted along with 2 others. Apparently KC's had a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

Who would've thunk it?

I never knew about KC's problems....
    no link as of now, but i'm sure local station website and local papers will pick it up quick.. this was reported on the 6 o'clock news here in Houston.

link to local news: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/111401_news_caminiti.html

#1 rockHEAD, Nov 14, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2001
  2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He recently said he was unsure what the future would be (about him absolutely retiring)...but the crystal ball shows me a trip to the slammer.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

CrAcKeR???

Oh man!!!! I know someone who is a crack addict. They are nuts and disappear on a moment's notice with whatever money they have in hand.

I can't believe it. He's a great ballplayer when he's on....but I guess he is human and has problems....maybe excessive living.

Bad news! I hope he goes to rehab now.

Surf

4. rockHEAD

according to local news, he's already been in rehab.
    he was arrested with 2 other people, so maybe the crack was theirs? regardless, he has a history of past abuse and is just as guilty as the other two... such a sad story.

rH

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Could have been one of the best 3B of his generation. Man......

6. Summer Song Giver

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Jeez. I'll never forget his "Rookie of the Week" run, when he first came up back in what, 1987? I remember thinking how great he was going to be, for years to come.

This is terrible.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Drugs didn't mess up Cammy's career, injuries did. When I was a sophomore in high school, friends from Pecan Grove told me they smoked weed with him. This was in the midst of him getting all his gold gloves. I've never heard crack, but maybe he moved up since then. But geez, there are tons of atheletes who do drugs. Y'all make it seem like it's so suprising.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not surprised..but it doesn't make it any less sad. i hope he finds help.

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I was there, at the Dome, for his first game. He went two for three with a double and a home run. I remember my brother and myself talking about how special he was going to be. I hope he can get his life together.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Just because there are a number of athletes who do drugs doesn't mean it should be a shock when you find out that a big name like Caminiti is found with crack. There are tons of people in this country that do drugs, but I'm sure you would be shocked if you found out a close friend of yours was on drugs when you never really suspected it. This is definitely a shock. I'm starting to wonder if the injuries had to do with drug use thus neglect of his body.

12. rockHEAD

I realize it's no surprise that athletes use drugs.
    It's just a surprise when they get busted.

rH

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crack as a word has a conotation that I think makes it seem somehow worse that effete rich boy coke in the nose. Crack is a form of freebase cocaine that's not real pure. It's easier and safer, however than the crap that blew up Richard Pryor.

The point is, crack, because of it's smoked nature makes it come on quicker and hit you harder than insufflated cocaine, but it's still just cocaine. The people I know whom have tried it seem to think it's kind of a waste of money, and despite having used it, weren't fiends. There are people who try it and walk away, most of them because it is a hell of a lot of money for a short experience, or because there are a lot of people who get paranoid, or too sweaty, or don't like the racing heart.

There is, however, a type of person who tries cocaine/crack/etc. and it kind of just flips a switch in their brain that says, "GIMMIE MORE". Usualy these people will do the cocaine up to the point of siezures and keep going. I hope for his sake that Cammy isn't one of those, but most of them are thin wiry nasty looking anemic people, and Ken looks like he takes better care of himself than that.

I think it's probably far more likely the guy has a binge type habit, where he'll go for a couple of days/weeks/months without any. The switch was fliped like the other guy, but he understands delayed gratification well enough to know that he's still got to function. He'll walk through the motions for the off time, like a sleeper. He'll look like everyone else, but if you'd get in his brain his every other thought would somehow involve the crack he wishes he was doing right then. This will build up in him until the moment of 'emotional release' where he'll blow $500-1000 dollars over the course of a few days chasing probably no more than a couple seconds of pure animal satisfaction.

The worst thing about these type of hard core drugs is that there's a reall nasty place that you'll take yourself that you'd never go otherwise, a point of self degredation of necessity. Sort of the same desprate, dirty feeling of being in an emergency room, but an 'elective' emergency room, where you drag yourself through the degrading falacies of the human condition willfully. The polar opposite of the way in which great sports moments transcend the human condition and make guys like Cammy great.

The guys in the crack appartment with Ken were most likely people that he'd never associate with otherwise. Really dirty, scummy sycophants. Yuck. Hard drugs suck ass. More than anything else I feel for Ken like I'd feel for some freaky sex pervert who gets pleasure from having some chick deficate on him. It's really about the same thing when it comes right down to it.

#13 Ottomaton, Nov 15, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2001
  14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member