1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cameron Wake??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by wadero, Apr 11, 2012.

1. wadero

wadero Member

Cameron is none too happy about the Dolphins move to the 4-3 and he is in the last year of his deal. I think Rick should get on the phone and see if we can work a deal!!!

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We need to get him this year so he can go after KC. I heard he has majority ownership of their right tackle.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol that would be great, but unfortunately the Texans don't play the Chiefs this year.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that linebacker in the one position the Texans seem to actually draft well at, I see no reason why we can't just draft a guy rather than giving up that pick for Wake. I mean, the Texans are already in cap trouble with Brown and probably Barwin getting paid. They can use all the cheap labor they can get.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'll see what I can do.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We currently have Barwin and Reed penciled in as starters at OLB. Cameron Wake is going to cost you a 2, possibly a 1. So you've given up a likely starter at another position of greater need for a guy who would likely join a position of strength as well as a list of big-time 2012 free agents, including Barwin.

If he was signed to a longer-term deal and you could let Barwin walk, sure, OK. But that's not happening so I fail to see why this is worth pursuing. I'd rather have the 2nd round pick.

7. Bandwagoner

Yep, no idea where I got that idea. Must have mixed up with Mario or misheard an interview.

8. Bandwagoner

I'm not sold on Reed and Barwin at all.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This, plus you need continuous fresh bodies at that position to keep bring pressure all game long.

Does not mean they need to get Wake, can draft a player at that position too, but would not hurt.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reed I can understand not being sold on...but barwin?!

11. Bandwagoner

If he gets double digit sacks again, I don't think I want him signed to a huge long term contract.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Houston's done well with CFL alumni before....

( though that was a loooooong time ago).

and he's no moon...

1 person likes this.
  13. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Link? Source?

14. Hey Now!

We can't dump all these fantsay-football level moves into a vacuum and pretend they have no real world consequences. Uncertainity around Barwin and Reed is justifiable - but are you so unsold that you'd be willing to sacrifice upgrading another position with even more uncertainity? Do you feel better with Wake/Barwin/Reed + Walter/Jones, for instance? Or Joseph/Jackson?

Because you're giving up a top pick (I'm guessing a 1 or 2) and money (though, admittedly, Wake's salary is small) to bolster a position that has what we know are capable starters. In terms of offseason priorities, while OLB depth is important, I don't think they need to waste resources upgrading the starters... not at the expense of WR, CB, OL, etc.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This makes no sense. You're not sold on him...but you're afraid if he gets double digit sacks...again...he might want more money.

I'm confused.

16. Bandwagoner

If he gets numbers again he will be looking for big money. Big numbers usually equal big money but it doesn't equal a big money player. I am not sold that Barwin is anything other than an above average pass rusher, and certainly not sold he is worth tons of cash.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Posting double digit sacks in consecutive season seems, to me at least, better than just an "above average pass rusher." You'd rather spend huge money on Wake instead...who has only 1 season of double digit sacks and whose #'s were down across the board last season?

18. Bandwagoner

Watching them play I think it is obvious Wake>Barwin, you disagree?

I have no idea the price for Wake but if it was an even swap I would take Wake.

I didn't count but I know Barwin went unblocked at least a couple of times.

19. Hey Now!

So back-to-back seasons of double digit sacks wouldn't sell you on the guy... Uhm, just what, exactly, would?

BTW, if Barwin does manage 10 next year, he'd have 26 for his career. Jared Allen after his first three seasons? 27. Demarcus Ware? 33. And those guys started 41 and 48 games, respectively, and didn't miss an entire season due to injury. Barwin would be on or ever-so slightly off their pace with just 32 starts (assuming 16 this year).

BTWBTW, Wake has 28 after three seasons with 31 starts.

20. Bandwagoner

Barwin will begin his "4th year" this year . He isn't as good as any of the three guys you mentioned. You aren't saying he is either. You are just throwing out sack numbers instead. I watch him play football, he looks above average. I watch those guys play football, they are elite.