1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cameras during golf swings]I'm no golfer, but doesn't this seem a little ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by zoork34, Mar 26, 2008.

1. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3313069

Woods: Shutter snap at No. 9 halted momentum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Tiger Woods is growing more frustrated with photographers snapping pictures of him during his swing.

In an interview on ESPN's First Take on Wednesday. Woods addressed an incident at last week's WGC-CA Championship at Doral, Fla., when he reacted to the click of a camera in his backswing with an obscenity-laced threat.

Woods' intense competitive streak is well-known, and he's also been known to curse when his results don't meet his high expectations. But on Sunday, in a threat punctuated with profanity, he threatened bodily harm to the next photographer who snaps during his swing.

"It's been frustrating because that's what been happening lately," Woods told ESPN's First Take. "It's one of the things that comes with playing in the last group, one of the distractions we have to deal with."

What's more, Woods said, the distractions have affected his play.

"Each time it's happened, well three out of four times, I made bogey," Woods said. "At the time I needed to make birdie, I flinched on it. [The photographer] got me in transition on my downswing.

"You have no idea what's been said on the golf course all the time, in any sport really," Woods added. "It was the heat of the moment. That one shot took the momentum that I had built on No. 8."

I know golf is a thinking sport and takes a lot of concentration and all, but one camera shutter totally ruins his score on a hole and takes away his momentum for the rest of the round??? That seems like a pretty weak statement, especially for the best player in the world. Sometimes golfers come across as huge pansies.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I agree with Tiger. Losing focus during your swing usually yields terrible results.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It sucks, but he's gonna hafta deal with it. Other golfers have the same stuff going on. Tennis matches have people sneezing and coughing and whatever.. that's the best comparison since they ask people to be quiet for both.

4. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

He seems to have no problem with the photographers when he wins.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I play golf and tennis, and there really is is a huge difference in the concentration necessary to swing a tennis racket and swing a golf club.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

What's next? Is the NBA going to ban the home crowd from making noises during free throws?

#6 LegendZ3, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This was the first time he's been photographed during his swing? :confused:

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I like to play golf but man do I hate this kind of crap. You aren't doing rocket surgery, play the game and shut up.

9. updawg

updawg Member

his caddy has gone after a few cameras in the past.

since everyone is using digital cameras you would think they would be set to quiet and this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

10. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

I don't agree with some of the etiquettes of golf, but those are the rules that are in place so I agree with Tiger when he gets upset about it. He more than any other golfer has to deal with photographers during his swing.

11. Major

Major Member

If it's such a problem, he could just wear earplugs.

It seems like developing focus and ignoring outside distractions is just part of sports.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think this kind of stuff just shows that golf really is a sport...for p#ssies.

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

No, that's the problem. Photographers can get major bucks for a photograph of Tiger outside the planned photoshoots and even more with a swing in motion.
    Because this has cost him, he probably now has an even more severe mental block when he hears the shutter click in his downswing.

It could have been worse, Steve has gone after photographers and taken cameras away.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think we should not allow fans to cheer and bang inflatable sticks when the opposing team is shooting free throws.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

damn thats a great idea, i'm surprised golfers dont do that. just carry em in the pocket put them in right before they start their practice swings etc

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:D LOL!

< WHINE > [​IMG] < / WHINE >

In other news, David Beckham has asked that people please don't use their CAMERA FLASH while taking a FREE KICK, because he was only able to score ONCE in the entire past MLS season. ;)

Thank you very much for your suggestion, Major. He'll probably come back with "why would I have to do that, when ettiquette--" STFU, Tiger.

17. kikimama

kikimama Member

It's just golf etiquette. The difference between golf and other sports mentioned above is that there is no defense. No one should be booing or trying to harass the players. I'm sure Tiger gets more of this than any other golfer. Golf may not be physically demanding as other sports but it still takes a lot of practice and skill. If you say golf is for pansies, then you probably believe bowling, pool, poker, etc are for p*****s too.

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

YOU SUCK, JACKASS!!!

19. Buck Turgidson

I love the Tommy Lasorda quote about hitting a golf ball vs. hitting a baseball that Jim Rome occasionally played on his show.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

As others have said, it is golf etiquette and the "all quiet" when teeing off rule has been in place since golf was invented. I am with Tiger, especially since he probably deals with it more than others.