1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camby to miss several weeks with torn plantar fascia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 9, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Fill me in. Like I said earlier in the thread, my brother had it. He has orthotics, went to physical therapy, and was given stretching exercises to do several times a day (including right after waking up). Took about 3 months for it to go away.

But for future reference if his ever comes back, what did you do to fix it so quickly?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I thought, I saw a man brought to life
    He was warm, he came around and he was dignified
    He showed me what it was to cry

Well, you couldn't be that man I adored
    You don't seem to know
    Seem to care what your heart is for
    But I don't know him anymore

There's nothing where he used to lie
    The conversation has run dry
    That's what's going on
    Nothing's fine, I'm torn

I'm all out of faith
    This is how I feel
    I'm cold and I am shamed
    Lying naked on the floor

Illusion never changed
    Into something real
    I'm wide awake and I can see
    The perfect sky is torn
    You're a little late, I'm already torn

So I guess the fortune teller's right
    Should have seen just what was there
    And not some holy light

It crawled beneath my veins
    And now I don't care, I had no luck
    I don't miss it all that much
    There's just so many things
    That I can touch, I'm torn

I'm all out of faith
    This is how I feel
    I'm cold and I am shamed
    Lying naked on the floor

Illusion never changed
    Into something real
    The perfect sky is torn
    You're a little late, I'm already torn, torn

There's nothing where he used to lie
    My inspiration has run dry
    That's what's going on
    Nothing's right, I'm torn

I'm all out of faith
    This is how I feel
    I'm cold and I am shamed
    Lying naked on this floor

Illusion never changed
    Into something real
    The perfect sky is torn

I'm all out of faith
    This is how I feel
    I'm cold and I'm ashamed
    Bound and broken on the floor
    You're a little late, I'm already torn, torn

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Serenading injuries is classless.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

After months of googling for info, I stumbled across a 22-page book on Amazon, written by a physical therapist. He went over all the published studies for PF treatment and found that the successful ones all included variations of this particular stretch. He started trying it on patients and learned that most of them got better without doing anything else. Anyway, the book is 22 pages and the only truly important ones are the two on which he documents HOW to do the stretch.

So, let me try to describe the stretch. It's really VERY simple...

For this example, the PF is in the right foot. Reverse everything for the left foot. This should be done barefoot or in socks:

Seated on a chair with both feet on the ground, bring your right foot up and rest your right heel on your left quad, just above the knee. Grab your right toes with your right hand and pull them back toward your right shin. Pull them hard enough to get a good stretch (but don't break anything!). Hold that for 10 seconds. Rest for 4-5 seconds, then do it again. Repeat the stretch-and-rest cycle until you've done 10 stretches total. I move my foot slightly for some cycles to stretch different sides of the fascia, but the book doesn't mention that.

Here's the key, from what I can tell: You want to do this anytime you have been stationary (NOT walking) for an hour or more. And ESPECIALLY before you take your first steps in the morning (you can do it lying down). There were mornings when I had to pee horribly, but I still forced myself to follow that stretch-first-THEN-walk rule.

And seriously, I was feeling much better in two weeks and was pretty much cured after a little over a month.

My no-medical-degree guess as to WHY it works: The fascia is inflamed, thus causing the pain. Every time you don't use it for a while, it contracts. If you then walk without first stretching the fascia, it just keeps it inflamed and keeps you in pain. If you stretch it religiously every time before you walk, you allow the inflammation to slowly get better.

Here's the link to the book, in case anyone wants to buy it. (It's not an affiliate link, so I don't earn anything off it.)

http://www.amazon.com/The-5-Minute-Plantar-Fasciitis-Solution/dp/1598585517

#44 topfive, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Cut him, sorry big fella but you have to go.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Time to let Camby go.

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think that Garcia can be that. Plus Garcia brings shooting. Brewer has no offense. With Asik and Bev in our second unit, we can't afford to have any more people who can't create their own shot.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That's what makes Jamal Crawford so key for the clippers and why they do so well in the regular season. Need someone to maintain 2nd and 4 th quarter leads off the bench

9. bmd

bmd Member

It's not like all of the 2nd unit is going to be on the floor at the same time.

McHale will always have somebody on the floor who can create.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

A healthy Camby would still be a defensive liability at the 5. McHale would have to go small ball anyway.

Never should have signed him.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

get ready for the;

DNP- Old

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Is his contract guaranteed? If not, IMO we should let him go.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Gotta keep either Harden, Parsons or Lin in the game at all times. That second unit still needs a primary scoring option, and Garcia should never be it.

14. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Should just cut him with the understanding that if we trade away Asik mid-season, he'd be wanted on the Rockets.

15. just a word

just a word Member

Thank you so much for this! Recommending to a friend.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Camby should go ahead and give up that roster spot.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I think we release Camby to make room for somebody on the roster.

I'm sure Les will foot the bill. And Camby does want to transition into coaching, so he'll just hang around.

18. Star

Star Member

Camby is our new Royce White?

Nothing but problems.

19. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Thank you very much topfive, I've seen a variation of this, but lacked the other details you provided which may be why it wasn't working for me. Feels better already after just one day. May it help others as well.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Marcus Camby on decision on potential surgery:&quot;I tore my plantar (left foot). I'm going to meet with the doctors Friday for a consultation&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/390524634170261504">October 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Marcus Camby on if surgery is option on left foot. &quot;They say a couple months (out). &quot;I still have the 2nd half of the season &amp; (more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/390525059099402240">October 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>More Marcus Camby if surgery is option on left foot: &quot;...a long playoff push that we expect to have here in Houston.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/390525310824771584">October 16, 2013</a></blockquote>