1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't mind the antics and not passing as much as I mind the lack of defense and hustle. But his last two games you can see the effort he is displaying so that's a great sign.

Dobbizzle and Stephen_A like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well tbh the energy and effort at times was lacking, esp if he wasn't getting shots/foul calls or the shots weren't going in. The last two games he was pretty good though.

Stephen_A likes this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You can see him buckling down at times and more focused on defense in the half court but it’s inconsistent especially on the fast break. He has a long way to go.

saleem likes this.
  4. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

The last few games have shown he will not be a blackhole on offense throughout his career. My only reservation about him becoming our shooting guard of the future was his inability to pass.
    These last few games and him being so young make me believe he can grow to be our 2. Our having an elite passing center also makes it less of a concern.

Our future lineup will be Amen, Cam, Tari, Jabari and Sengun. Intelligence, high energy, rebounds and 3 guys who can shoot with the other 2 being elite playmakers.

clutchdabear and Corrosion like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Poor Jalen Green. Led the team on that ridiculous run and he's still being phased out of our future plans by the fans. I suppose we'll see. I'll be okay with whichever way Ime/Stone decide to go. If they decide to trade him, I'll trust that it's the right move for this team. Likewise, I'll trust it if Ime wants to keep him.

Honestly, just whatever Ime wants to do.

Bo6, NewAge and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Have you considered leaving behind the false messiah and becoming a Jock Londale Only Fan?

Strawberry Gum, Corrosion and txtodd like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I considered it early on, but he's a bit long in the tooth and, now, I don't even think he'll be with us next year. I suppose it depends on what they do in the draft and free agency, but he's already less essential with Steven Adams coming back next year.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is actually extremely encouraging (and hilarious).

He had 20 assists in 44 games, then 13 in 3 games, LMAO.

That proves that he CAN pass if he WANTS to, and that the coaching staff managed to get through to him in the end...hope it continues like that.

Bo6, Jontro, Strawberry Gum and 2 others like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

JxmyHighroller posted this excellent video about his self-created NBA "awards." He dubbed one of these awards the "Kobe Bryant Get It Out The Net" award. This was "awarded" to the player least likely to pass on possessions. The winner: Cam Whitmore. Cam is the only player in the league who shot on approximately 50% of his touches. No one else comes close. This is a large reason why I'm not the biggest Cam fan at the moment.

See around 3:25.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Does Jalen got it? I don't see it.

Tankeio likes this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

This is fantastic! This is EXACTLY how I envisioned Cam being used, as a FINIsHEr!
    What you didn’t say from this video is that Cam leads the entire NBA in Points per Touch, at 0.508 with a huge margin over everyone else! I was not aware of this stat.
    Kudos to the kid and kudos to the coaching staff.
    We need more of this next year.
    The passing will come along later, when he starts to initiate more, for now he’s our best finisher.

Now, situational awareness on D is the other thing that’s a question mark. He’s a good disruptor, but Ike’s schemes are more conservative and he gets lost quite a bit…

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think comparing Cam with Jaylen Brown is silly.

JMO

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is delusional. There is nothing about Cam that suggests he is a leader. Most everything about him indicates he's in it for himself and nobody else.

I know, I know, "he's only 19". This is the infinite excuse for all of his flaws.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He leads this category because he shoots every time he touches the ball, as opposed to other players who, you know, occasionally pass.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Udoka compared Cam to Jaylen and said they remind him a lot of each other in multiple ways...and hes coached both of them. Ill trust his evaluation over whoever you are.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...orey-maggette-in-rockets-rookie-cam-whitmore/

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is he the best finisher?

Cam has a 64% fg% 0-3 ft from the rim with 58% of his 2pt makes assisted while Green is at 69% from 0-3ft with 34% of his 2pt makes assisted.

So Green has a higher efficiency at the rim with defenses loaded up on him more and doing it more off the dribble.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Players follow game, Cam is a leader - at 19, they can see what he brings, he will elevate everyone when he gets a bit older, he is the highest upside player on the team we have.

DD

Tankeio likes this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Everything is so black and white with your takes - it’s exhausting to watch you pick a hero and then go so above and beyond rational thinking.

He is a good (but not great) shooter and has a fantastic combination of strength and speed plus a fearlessness attacking the basket. These are good traits and make him an interesting prospect.

But doesn’t see the court well, has no willingness to pass even if he could, doesn’t know how to play defense, and isn’t a particularly great shooter or finisher. None of those are easy to fix, and they all lead to a “scoring spark off the bench” career.

To build from that profile to “he’s a natural leader because everyone sees he’s the best talent” and “he’s the best talent we have” is hyperbolic exaggeration.

Sooty, NewAge, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.