1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Newton On Pace to be Greatest Football Player Eva

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Which is what makes what he's done this season so impressive, despite it not being reflected in the win column.

When they get some pieces around him and a better coach, they'll be contenders for a long time.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

especially on defense.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Miami is a crappy team... Carolina always had plenty of defensive talent... They just were playing John Fox's boring style of football... Cam has ,at the very least, brought excitement and promise offensively, to the franchise... But in the NFL, all it takes is an injury, poor personel decisions, or an offseason incident, to derail a promising career...

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL who are you? I picture the Devil twiddling his fingers, smirking, and rubbing his mustache as he types.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Scoreboard

6. bloop

bloop Member

lol what a r****ded post.

none of that **** has anything to do with being "on pace" to be the greatest ever. someone wins a Heisman every year and JUCO couldn't be more irrelevant to the discussion.

simply put, to be greatest ever you have to be able to lay claim to either being the best college player ever or best NFL player ever.

Cam isn't the best college player ever, and to have any claim at best NFL player ever he has to win rings or at least win games.

Cam has the physical tools and has the right support system around him, including an organization that believes in him, receivers, etc. To make any claim that he's "on pace" to be anything near the greatest is mental r****dation.

There's a lot of excitement around him, and how could there not be? He's huge, he's black, he has a cannon for an arm, good mechanics, explosive running ability and decent accuracy. There's absolutely no way that both fans and analysts wouldn't root for him. I guess this thread is a good deal better than someone arguing that Tebow is on pace to be greatest ever but you're definitely shooting ur load too early on this.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i like you call the post r****ded which is offensive but anyway and then you are like yeah, he has a lot of upside. that's the only point.

on the college athletics, he only played one year in the places he won. so no he doesn't have overwhelming stats but he has outstanding results. i guess it can be argued that tebow had a greater college career but again this is overall.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is the nfl record for most passing + rushing yards?

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Putting PG's (what should have been) obvious hyperbole aside, I'm starting to think this kid is the real deal. He's everything Baby Vince should have been. Can't help but pull for him. Until 12/18, of course.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Agreed. The guy is pretty special. I'm just shocked he's playing this well this early.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its not hyperbole, "on pace", from right now, this guy has one of the greatest starts to a football career in history. including college accomplishments

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

^

He was on pace to throw for 6400 yards after his first 2 games.
    Texans were on pace to go undefeated this year after the first 2 games.

the point is, you oversell the argument. He's played great at times and showed incredible flashes. Just accept it for what is it and stop trying to predict a 10+ year career pace based off the first 8 games...which they are 2-6 after all.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The dude is special, no doubt about it...inspriational......

DD

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

how many yards is he on pace to throw for now and how does that compare to other greats.

i'm gonna guess pretty damn good.

15. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

As a a writer she is only kinda bad. As a television anchor, or reporter, she is a stammering, race-obsessed wreck. She tries way too hard to be "original" in her analysis, and darling, that just doesn't happen in this 'copy-and-paste' day and age.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

she does not obsess with race, i watch it all the time. i'm not derailing this thread, but just like i put the last claim down of race baiting.

examples please.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the thing i worry about is the character issues. i know he was a kid at florida and I don't know what happened with his dad, but even at the draft combine he gave some not so good answers on some questions. particularly giving the impression he's just out for himself.

he's obviously smart and i think smarts is overrated to play the position. you have to be smarter than the average player probably, but you don't need to be andrew luck.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The more success he has, the more his character will be tested. Some athletes fail because early success goes to their head, they get overconfident & feel entitled and quit working hard.

You can also learn a lot by how guys react to opposition and failure. Newton's bounce-back from the Atlanta game (where he wasn't really as bad as the stat show) to last week's awesome display was promising.

I heard he gave some bad answers at the combine but didn't see them myself.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Actually what I've read about him is that he is extremely smart -- seems to have a really high IQ, absorbs everything they teach him like a sponge, doesn't even need a cheat sheet on his arm to memorize plays, etc.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Being a quick thinker is better than being smart, someone that can recognize things and react more quickly to them than others......

DD