1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Newton On Pace to be Greatest Football Player Eva

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Elway is a good comparison because he started off right away. montana had the benefit of sitting but yeah he what he accomplished in this first full year is great.

actually what inspired this thread was really moe's thread on qbs. I thought elway was the perfect qb, you didn't have to build one from a bunch for me. and i think cam is the evolution of elway, a complete freak of nature who can chunk it around accurately

2. Asian Sensation

I don't think people are disregarding Smith. People are finally giving Newton the credit he deserves (including myself) and the one's that are still disregarding him will give credit in due time. I didn't like him in college and I really didn't like him when he beat my Ducks but Newton is the reason why Smith is playing so well.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Hopefully he doesn't regress are stay the same over the next few years like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Freeman this year after being touted as the next up and coming young stars in this league.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair to Smith, he hasn't had much of a QB the last couple years

5. Asian Sensation

My point exactly. Newton is making Smith look like a pro-bowler again.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh, it sounded like you were implying that he made Smith all together. Smith is certainly happy to have a guy whose arms isnt about to fall off.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Cam does have that moxie that seems allow him to be a leader on his team even as newbie. How else do you win a Jr College and a College NC's on your first year on the team.

Not saying he cannot, but one thing that will be interesting is seeing how well he continues to improve in the same system. I say because he was at Blinn for only 1 year and then at Auburn for 1 year and now only part a of season at Carolina. At each place, while he had a lot of raw talent and potential, he really surpasses expectation rather than "live up to it". I mean even as a No. 1 pick, most saw him as a reach and expected him to fail.

After playing well this year, will he able to continue to improve, or will he plateau? Also, how will he deal with expectation to succeed and do even better than before?
    That will be telling.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Main thing is consistency... He's gonna have to be in beast mode every year just to keep Carolina relevant for the next couple years... His biggest test probably will be as a recruiter for WR's... He's gonna have to channel his inner "Mack Brown" and get some of these studs to join him

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I think He's one rad dude. I enjoy watching him play. I don't know what else to type. I think iPads are gay.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I predict WRs will try to flock to Carolina. He revived Steve Smith's career.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Rushing stats = an injury prone career. Scrambling QBs in the NFL are not common -- for a reason

12. Mr. Clutch

Define "scrambling QB."

He rushes for 38 yards per game and throws for 300 per game.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Remember THIS thread from last year?

Chris Johnson is a Hall of Famer

I didnt think there was anything THAT silly of what he said, considering the sensationalized thread title and the claim we're not quite "comprehending what we're seeing here".

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

After Roethlisberger's first 15 starts he was on pace to never lose a game.

15. Buck Turgidson

Dolphins went 12-4 Dan Marino's rookie year, he had a QB rating over 95 and he's the only rookie QB to start a Pro Bowl.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dan marino started nine games that year. in a strike shortened season the previous year miami went 7-2. the previous year they went 11-4-1

dan had a great year but he walked into a much better situation.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Marino's 2nd season was incredible though.

Talk about the reverse of the sophomore slump.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah seriously - those Dolphins teams were good even with David Woodley & Don Strock starting - they had the "Killer B's" on defense, HOF'ers on the OL, etc.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Marino was the "perfect storm" QB, much like Rodgers.

A top flight QB that falls into the latter part of the 1st round and therefore into a much better situation to succeed instantly.

20. Mr. Clutch

And Cam is succeeding instantly despite being on a crappy team.