1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Newton On Pace to be Greatest Football Player Eva

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Wasn't she the one who said, "what if Vick was white"?

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, get your facts right.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He's good and has tremendous upside...Greatest Ever? Ask again in 7-15 years...

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, it's ridiculous. Let's not give him the Lebron treatment and announce he's the best ever at the get go of his career.

He's going to be a lot of fun to watch over the years and he does have unlimited potential.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

umm yeah, that's why i said on pace.

let's put it this way, who accomplished this much up to this point, yes i know only eight pro games.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I thought he'd be a bust.

If they can surrond with with a good team, and he plays smart instead of flashy, then he'll be a superstar and maybe even a once or twice champion.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The point is projecting a "greatest football player ever" career after 8 games is crazy. On the other hand, asking if a rookie QB has done as well after 8 games makes sense because it takes the knee-jerk nonsense out of it.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

thanks for the posting ettiquette tip.

howeva, as an one particular overthetopper might say, on the contrary what you could do instead of providing posting advice, is answer the question, whom including college has been off to such a fantastical start. tia

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We'll have to see what he does over the course of the rest of the season, but he's basically been on par with Peyton Manning's NFL rookie year, a bit better actually.

Manning as a Rookie (1998):

YPG: 233.7
    NFL Avg: 205.0

Comp%: 56.7
    NFL Avg: 56.6

QB Rating: 71.2
    NFL Avg: 76.2

Newton as a Rookie:

YPG 300.0
    NFL Avg: 251.1

Comp%: 60.3
    NFL Avg: 60.4

QB Rating: 82.8
    NFL Avg: 84.7

Newton's numbers (along with many other QBs) are a bit inflated simply because passing stats league-wide are inflated this year, but he's certainly off to a terrific start, among the best ever for a rookie QB. Anything can happen though.

1 person likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

thanks, peyton is who i thought about as far as the nfl start. but wait, cam actually has rushing stats.

believe me, i am one to try to avoid the knee jerk, but i don't think people are fully comprehending what we've seen up to this point.

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

He's got a ton of pub and people have consistently talked about how impressive he's been every week. What more do you want?

His passing stats have come back down to earth after those first 2 games...which was just ridiculous yardage wise. And his 7 rushing TD is impressive as well.

Despite all that praise, which he has received, it's just silly to talk about him being on pace to be the greatest football player "eva"

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you are talking projections/pace, then it will be hard to be considered the greatest player ever if you lead your team to a 29% winning percentage.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its just a message board topic dude, relax. yes he has gotten a lot of pub, but i haven't heard greatest football player ever.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that will change, fair point though. however how long before joe montana, elway, and others started winning?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just keep on chucking it to Steve Smith - a very nice late round fantasy draft pick I must say !

;)

DD

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i dropped mark sanchez to pick up cam newton after week one.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

It is hard to say after nearly half a season of play, but he's off to a great start. The key for Cam is yearly improvement, and consistency.

People are disregarding Steve Smith, and how his presence has made it extremely easy for Cam. Steve Smith just a few years ago was regarded as a top 2 WR. And he's still producing.

But I"m still saying Luck will be one of the greatest QBs we have ever seen--the LBJ of the NFL in terms of hype and meeting the hype. That guy is scary good.

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

LOL, same thing, but after week 2. I missed my draft and the CPU picked Peyton Manning for me. I dropped him and picked up Sanchez thinking it would be his breakout season, but he was underperforming.

I was frankly surprised that he was a FA after week 2 and picked him up, thank you fantasy gods!

:cool:

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Montana led the 49ers to 13-3 in his first full season of starting and led them to the playoffs, where he led the 49ers over the Cowboys ("The Catch" game). The 49ers won the SB that year.

Elway led the Broncos to the playoffs in his first year.

Didn't VY win the Rookie of the Year, go to the Pro Bowl, and almost led the Titans to the playoffs in his first year?

I think I want to see how Cam will do in his 2nd season where D-coordinators have enough tape to know his tendencies and flaws, mix up coverages, and force him to do things he is uncomfortable doing.

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

probably because it's a ridiculous thing to talk about. Anytime you talk about "the greatest ever" is difficult for HOF players...let alone a guy 8 weeks in.

all that being said, if he continues to progress he will be crazy good