1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Calvin Watkins] Harden named starting point guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShutURBiG!, Sep 26, 2016.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Cool. Maybe now people will stop saying things like "he had more assists than any other non pg in the league..." .... knowing full well that he operated as a point guard and controlled the ball the majority of the time like a pg...

can't wait to see his D on those little pg speedsters...lol

I hope it all gels... but the further we go down the rabbit hole...

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol , this is a non issue . There is no way they are expecting harden to D up opposing points .

They probably aren't going to start Gordon either unless he is just plain outplaying Patrick .. In which case I'm all for it .

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

asst defensive coach - mike the ****in sixers are killin our defense. i suggest we stop switching everything and play some defense.

dantoni - what is this dee fence? i dunno how to spell dee fence. SWIIIIIITCH! SWIIIIIIITCH! SWITCH EVERYTHING! WHAT ARE YOU DOING ARIZA? DONT STAY ON YOUR MAN! SWIIIIITCH! SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!

J.R. likes this.
  4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

the problem with this is Hardens' All Star appearance..if he would be labeled "technically" as a PG, it would be impossible for him to sneak in on the roster...he's always been the de facto PG though

5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I'm confused... Is he actually officially moving over to point guard? Because if so that would be a mistake. If beverley or gordon are going to play second fiddle that's cool and that's the way it should be but there's no reason to change their listed positions around when it's already been that way.

6. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

It's been 2 guards and 3 forwards per conference for the past few years. It won't make a difference in that aspect.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Quad Double. Pts, Rebs, Asts, TOs.

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

This is going to definitely be an interesting team to watch. Offensively I hope it clicks because the odds are significantly against the team if we think this current Rockets team is going to be a great defensive team.

9. Dclay85

Dclay85 Member

I would run 10 man rotation:
    First team Second team
    Pg harden Bev
    Sg Kj Gordon
    Sf ariza Dekker/brew
    Pf Anderson Dmo
    C Capela Nene

10. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Beverley should start and play the 2 on offense and 1 on defense, just like the Rockets did in basically every game last year... nothing to see here. Harden bringing the ball up the vast majority of the time will help with transition buckets, but I think may deplete his energy levels a bit.

11. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

12. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Harden is by far the best playmaker we have and let's be frank, even the Thunder were using him as their defacto PG to close out games so it is natural to officially call him the PG of the team as of right now and beyond.What I'm excited about is if D'Antoni can make role players like Lin and Marshall look good imagine what he can do with James who has more talent on his toe nail then those two combined.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't really care what they call him. He's going to do what he does with the offense.

Harden guarding the traditional PG on defense might actually be a good thing. He's a better on ball defender than off ball. He wont' get caught ball watching too much.

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

no doubt

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is not going to be guarding little speedsters.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread needs to be merged with heypartner's thread.

Anyway, what you call Harden is not important. What's important is who plays with him in the back court.

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Calvin Watkins just now on Twitter:

"After announcing James Harden will become the full-time point guard this upcoming season, Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said Tuesday Patrick Beverley will remain in the starting lineup. Beverley will move from point guard to shooting guard. The Rockets like to have either a strong defender or shooter who can create alongside Harden. In some situations, Eric Gordon will pair up with Harden. But at the start of games, Harden and Beverley will be on the court. "Oh yeah Pat can play off the ball and on the ball," D'Antoni said. "He's a great defensive player there's a lot of spots he can play."

18. basketballholic

Yule C.

Haymitch likes this.
  19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin Watkins is a total tool.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

why? he is stating the obvious and what anyone who follows the rockets should already know. nothing is different. beverley is still going to start next to harden