1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy telling it like it is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

Calvin probably has too much class and too much respect for McHale as the legendary player he was to call him out in public...

But, like some fans here need to realize... McHale was a legendary player for the Celtics, not the Rockets... In fact, he helped keep the Rockets from championships in the 80's...

He was never, nor will he ever be... a legendary NBA coach...

2. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

No, we don’t need Murphy with all his baggage as our coach. He has more issues than just the sexual abuse acquittal!! He cheated the City of Houston!!

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Calvin_Murphy_acquitted_of_molestation_charges

Sexual assault charges in 2004: Murphy is confirmed to have fathered 14 children by 9 different women. In 2004, he faced trial in Houston for sexually abusing five of his daughters. He was acquitted of these charges in December of that year.

April 29, 1998

Time sheets submitted by Houston City youth athletic director, Calvin Murphy, Longtime Houston Rocket and Hall of Famer, are investigated by the city to ensure he worked all the hours he claimed.

and this:

Murphy Loses City Youth Job
    May 29, 1998
    HOUSTON — Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy has lost his job as the city's youth athletic director. He was accused of filing time sheets that claimed he was working for the city--including overtime--on days he was out of town for his job as a commentator on broadcasts of the Houston Rockets, for whom he once played.
    Parks director Oliver Spellman Jr. said he told Murphy of his decision not to renew the contract that expires Sunday. As a temporary employee , Murphy had an annual salary of $50,000.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-05-29/sports/9805290061_1_spellman-famer-calvin-murphy-youth

No, we don’t need Murphy with all his baggage as our coach.

3. JazzLakerHater

This entire team needs to take a damn Basketball Fundamentals class. Good lord I have never seen such a talented team be so dumb.

4. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Can he give the team a pep talk in the locker room before Game 5 to fire them up? I think we need one of those moments when someone, whether it be a player, coach, or former player light an extra fire in these guys.

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

Harden doesn't need mere motivational speeches... He needs a complete reassessment of his priorities.... he needs coaching and better environment...

Dwight doesn't need it... He's come to play... he just can't do it alone...

JLin doesn't need it... he gives his best everytime... He just has too many contradictory "what not to do and what to do" instructions in his head and he's trying to stick to all of them... He needs coaching and a better environment...

Parsons needs to remember what first got him noticed his rookie season... and remember he's an NBA player first, and model second... He needs coaching...

Pat Bev, Daniels and Osik are probably the only two that could do with but a nice motivational speech... and play relatively well with nothing more being said... But, we that's not going to help us defeat a determined Blazers team that actually knows what they're doing as a team... including their big one-two-punch.

6. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

he's definitely more objective than most Rockets fans. but HEY GUYS! Let's adopt that mentality, pick up our pitchforks, and crucify one guy because IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!!!

7. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

that mob mentality*

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets are too thinned out to bench anybody. We've seen what happens when main rotation players are pulled from games.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly thought Harden would try harder on defense once games really mattered (playoffs), but the pathetic effort continues. Now his offense fell off to boot. smh

Crap leadership and McHale is crap for allowing it.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dude s getting killed because of his lackluster mentality on defense. Not only that Harden has been shying away from the spot lot. In the regular season Harden demands the ball in crunch time and when he got it, he made a lot of clutch shots. In the playoff's all of sudden Matthews is giving him all kinds of fits/problems. That is why I think some people are calling him mentally weak and soft.

Pimp did you see that play were Howard was demanding the ball. Harden delivered the ball to him and Howard got stripped by Matthews. Harden got pissed and didn't even try to defend his man down court. Or did you see how Batum blew right by him in the open court. Better yet why is everybody that he guards attacking him. Easy dobro, because they know he is soft defensively and he makes mental mistakes. I know you played basketball before, so Im sure big timer if you had someone on you that didn't play defense, you would attack him every time. Portland along with the rest of the league has no respect for Harden defensively.

I agree McHale shares a lot of the blame as well.

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

Do you like Dwight Howard?

???????????????

12. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

McHale is at fault for the team's struggles in the 4th Qs. He goes to the iso ball with Harden and gives him green light to do whatever he pleases. McHale also doesn't have a playbook and it's evident. If he did, then Daniels would have gotten more looks. The guy went 3-3 on 3's in the 1st half and didn't even attempt a shot until towards end of 4th Q when shot clock was running out.

In this league, especially in the playoffs, you have to find ways to get the hot hand open looks and not just play iso ball and have other 4 guys standing still.

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I hate to say it.. but under pressure.. James Harden turns into a black hole.

START PLAYING SOME D GOT DAMIT.. it's not that hard to move your freaking feet.

AND LET'S GET SOME MOVEMENT ON OFFENSE AND LOOK FOR EACH OTHER!!!!! I distinctly remember one play when Lin drove to the basket with Daniels wide, freaking open on the right side corner..... Lin didn't see him, because he's too attracted to missing point blank lay-ups. HARDEN, stop dribbling the clock down to 5 seconds before doing anything decisive.. JEEBUZ... have you ever heard of ball movement??! I Dont freaking get it. How do you play basketball that horrendously? I feel ashamed cheering for us to win, when the only person playing team ball out there is Dwight, Parsons, and TROY freaking DANIELS!!! Sometimes Beverley... And Lin is a straight up liability.

14. N/A

N/A Member

You'll see that players often become tentative when they have a "star" player who exclusively goes ISO. They just stand around because they know they won't get the ball. I also don't like the glares Harden and Howard keep giving each other. A whole year and STILL neither they nor the coaches have learned to get them to work together.

15. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

the daniel's situation is really about coaching. they put him there just for bail out threes? come on, waste of talent, make him run thru screens until he is open and go find him. otherwise, he is wasting a spot.

16. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I agree with Calvin. We should have ran plays for Parsons and Daniels in the 2nd half instead of ISO Harden every single time.

17. OpportunityCost

Blaming Lin is just a distraction(scapegoat) from the real problem - McHale. Now Lin definitely does deserve blame. I think he has lost all confidence b/c his play leaves a lot to be desired. But the real issue, IMO with the Rockets is McHale and him being a bad fit as an offensive and defensive strategist. Also I think Lin should probably play way less minutes the next game - not only b/c he's messing up, but so that his mess-ups aren't used as a straw man to distract people from the real elephant in the room.

18. FEAR THE BEARD

19. OpportunityCost

This is why I use to enjoy listening to Calvin as a broadcaster when he was teamed up with Bill - he has good basketball-strategy knowledge.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People love to play the blame game and put it all on one player.

Harden was the Rockets 2nd best player last night. People can continue to cry and cry about his defense but big shots were given up by not just him...but Lin...Parsons...Beverly...everyone.

Meanwhile Harden made big plays to try and win the game and send it into OT eventually. He made HUGE plays in that 4th qtr and had Lin not fumbled the ball people would be singing a different tune about Harden today.

I just hate this blame game thing. Calvin should mention Parsons and Beverly getting shredded, especially Parsons. Batum abused this guy when it mattered.