1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CALVIN MURPHY should be our coach...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thedreamisover, Jan 13, 2003.

1. thedreamisover

The man is an ass, but at least he would run the offense through YAO....

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rudy will too, but he is taking his time and letting the players learn why it SHOULD run through Yao the hard way.

That way when he finally makes the switch full time, they will not be able to complain and will be on board.

It is better to have everyone on the same side of the issue then to force feed it.

DaDakota

3. truepac

truepac New Member

Calvin Murphy is a pimp. He might seem crazy sometimes but he knows the game well.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Has Calvin Murphy ever held a full-time coaching position?

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is MUCH easier to say things on a sports broadcast than to do them when you are actually in a coaching position. It's why Jeff Van Gundy can sound so confident when he is on these NBA shows. Calvin can talk all he wants when sitting next to Bill, but if he were sitting on the Rockets bench, I have a feeling he would behave very differently than how he says he would.

6. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Yeah, and Clyde should coach at UH.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I agree ONLY if Rudy was fired or stepped down. Calvin knows this team like Larry Dirker did back in the mid 90's before he became coach. IF we had to get rid of Rudy which they wont Calvin would be my top choice. But Rudy is the right coach for this team time will prove it. Give the guy time. Rudy is an awsome coach.

8. carayip

carayip Member

Get Murphy and Sampson as assistant coaches. We would probably have most assistants in the league behind Dallas.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I usually don't post in the fire rudy T threads, but if I was going to rid Rudy T of the coaching job, I would retain him in the front office though. Maybe have him and CD be co-GMs.

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Calvin's does not have the proper attire to be a coach. On the other hand, I do think that his dress code would increase fan attendence.

11. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I watched on NBATV hosted by Robyn Roberts a feature on small players who made it in the NBA.

Calvin Murphy was just 5'10" but his game was huge. They showed a 1981 playoff game against San Antonio where Murphy scored at least 42 points. WOW!

And Murphy was very steady on the free throw line.

Come to think of it, the Rockets need someone like Murphy today. Francis and Mobley are a bit wild or too much out of control.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I for one dont think it would be a bad thing to actually increase Calvin's role in the organization by having him work with the guys on their shooting techniques.
    He is and has always been a very good shooter. Even now, at his age, he can still shoot. I saw him a year or two back being interviewed on the practice court, and he was sitting out at the 3 line and pumping the balls in while he was talking. Anyone else remember seeing this?

Combine this idea with getting Ralph to work with the big men...
    could be interesting..

13. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Besides, didn't Les try to get rid of Calvin a few years ago? I didn't think they were big fans of each other.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If Les gets rid of "alright then my brutha", he can move the Rockets to Florida.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Just as long as the Rockets hire him on a salary basis so he doesn't have to make up some timesheets while he is on vacation.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes a hall of famer would be a nice thing to add

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is a joke right?

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Why not Bill Worrell?

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why not Lisa Maloskey?

Actually, when the Comet's head coach (forgot his name) commentated a Rocket's game, I was pretty impressed. He was analyzing the X's and O's of the game and giving some nice insights. I think he deserves a shot at some point, although I doubt Stevie and Cuttino would respect him.

20. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Hey, stop hacking my jokes.:mad: ;)