1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy says The Rockets will extend McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EssTooKayTD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Wow. Dream didn't deserve Les's money, but somehow Tracy does?

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I honestly believe that Calvin might be the dumbest man alive.

Why some of you continue to worship him...

I just have no idea.

3. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

what about Mr 33%?

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream never sold as many shoes as Tmac. Tmac is on the cover of Video Games.
    [​IMG]

You see how many times we are on national TV now? Dream couldn't do that!

So see how awesome Tmac fans are? He doesn't have to get past the first round to be worshiped here. He just has to do some dunks and jack up a bunch of 3s in 40 seconds.

Also look how popular his Orlando Magic games are. You see, he even transcends teams!

Dream could never make Les that much money. Today's fan doesn't care about being the Defensive player of the year, MVP, Finals MVP, the face of Houston since college.

Hell no ones cares about Houston anymore, they don't even put the HOUSTON on the jersey anymore.
    [​IMG]

Why didn't Les give Dream the money he wanted? cause Dream only gave him championships and glory, not Adidas revenue.

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I just wanted to reiterate, this really isn't any insider information and that it was just a comment made by Calvin, and his reason is because states that Les absolutely loves Tracy McGrady.

I agree with the general consensus that it obviously wouldn't be for the kind of money he makes now. The only way that happens is if he helps bring a championship or two here within these next two seasons.

So according to Calvin's *opinion* Tracy's expiring contract is not worth as much to Les as his presence on this squad. I figured that it all depends on what offers are on the table. Crazier things have happened. Only time will tell, but I thought it was an interesting comment by "Lil' C."

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

and to add to your point, calvin is not a tracy's apologist either. he has blasted/criticized tracy multiple times.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He dislikes Les, and he dislikes Tracy. So in a way it makes sense that he'd perceive them as being close to eachother.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is what you pay Tracy. I'd imagine the Rockets may want him back, but Morey is not going to overpay an older player.

9. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i hope he takes a paycut to add a big piece

10. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Tell me the last time Tracy miss 41 games in a season.

11. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Calvin does not have much credibility. He holds something against this organization.

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

The issue is how much he's going to get paid. If he gets max money Les is officially nuts.

That said, where's T-Mac going to go? There's some incentive for him to stay in Houston and if he gives up a good chunk of his salary the Rockets can go after talent.

I think the discussion should really be about how many years/dollars we're talking about here. I think $7 million a year for two years isn't terrible.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

do you not know what it is?

let me give you a hint. look up in the rafters, you see his name up there.
    He's only been with the Rockets for over 30 years, then he had legal problems and he was proven INNOCENT in a COURT OF LAW. then he never got his job back.

His loyalty was rewarded with nothing.

Rudy T's loyalty was rewarded with nothing.

And when Dream wanted some decent money for his last year? we was rewarded with being a raptor.

Did Bird or Magic get this kind of treatment? They let Magic back when he was fat.

We won two championships, our loyalty was rewarded with ugly jerseys

Charles Barkley sacrificed one season so we can sign Pippen

he allegedly was owed money by Les Alexander (Chuck has mentioned on TNT) and Les didn't pay him

look what happened to JVG, they were talking to Adelman alreay

Calvin was a Rocket when the Rockets were in San Diego. now think about that.

14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Can someone tell me who Calvin Murphy is? I don't know this guy at all.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

www.google.com

16. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

if we resign tmac it better be 12mil at the most in the first season he resigns, after that it should go down steadily. he should resign for 8-10 mil actually.

but who knows, maybe 3 weeks is all he needs to get back to his old self. and maybe next season he'll play 70+ games finally, but he cant ask for a lotta money, thats for daam sure. he should get an 8-10 mil contract, notta 15mil.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Drafted by: San Diego Rockets, 1970

Honors: Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame(1993), NBA All-Rookie Team (1971), NBA All-Star (1979)

http://www.nba.com/history/players/murphy_bio.html

Drafted as the first pick in the second round (18th overall) in 1970 by the San Diego Rockets who moved to Houston after one year (interestingly, the Cincinnati Royals selected Nate "Tiny" Archibald immediately after him). Murphy quickly rocketed to NBA fame.

Though the smallest player in the league, Murphy made the NBA All-Rookie team in 1971. Over the course of his career, spent all in a Rocket uniform, he averaged 17.9 points per game and ended his career with a total of 17,949 points. In NBA post season play, Murphy shone even brighter as he averaged 18.5 points in 51 playoff games.

His best season was 1977-78 when he averaged 25.6 ppg. He ranks third in the NBA record book for consecutive free throws made (78) and first for seasonal percentage mark hitting on 206 of 215 attempts for a .958 percentage both achieved in the 1980-81 campaign. He led the NBA in free throw percentage twice and finished among the top five eight other times.

However, Murphy's career extends farther out than the charity stripe. He scored in excess of 1,000 points in eleven straight seasons, and his 17,949 career points currently ranks him second in Rockets' history behind Hakeem Olajuwon whom he also only trails in numerous other team categories such as games played, minutes, steals, field goals attempted and made. The 1979 All-Star still owns Houston's record for most assists (4,402) and is one of only three Rocket players to have his number (23) retired. In 1978, Murphy earned the J. Walter Kennedy Humanitarian Award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Murphy#Post-NBA_life

Post-NBA life
    After retirement, Calvin Murphy continued to work for the Rockets organization in numerous roles, but publicly he was most well-known for being the television analyst for Rockets games.

Personal life
    Murphy was married to Vernetta Murphy, with whom he had two daughters and a son. In total, he has fourteen children allegedly by nine women while only being married to one of the women.[5] In 2004, Murphy was tried for sexual abuse of five of his illegitimate children. When defending Murphy his renowned lawyer Rusty Hardin argued that Murphy had been the long time director of Houston’s Marching Thunder Drill Team (a band and baton twirling group) and that nobody outside of Murphy's extended family accused him of anything and the allegations stemmed from a desire to get money from Murphy.[6] It took the jury less than two hours to acquit Murphy of all charges. Shortly after the verdict was announced, the Houston Rockets ended their 35 year relationship with Murphy.

18. OCballfan

OCballfan Rookie

extend him for the MLE

thats what he's worth

19. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

tinman telling it like it is. T-Mac makes money for Les. That's why he'll be here. Although I still like T-Mac even if he hasn't gotten out of the first round. I know people won't agree with me so I don't want to go there but he's done his part. Has he done enough? No. But it's a team game. Rarely can one man make it out of the first round alone. Even Kobe couldn't. Is T-Mac Kobe? No. But whatever.

On a practical note, if T-Mac doesn't retire, I would assume the Rockets will resign him for less money.

This isn't the best time to bring up the topic though. T-Mac's not very popular around here...people are just counting the days until he is off the books.

20. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

are you sure he didnt say 'buy out'??? :mad:

TRUTH!!!
    If there is one thing to be said about Calvin, he speaks his mind.
    DONT DO IT LES!
    We have the most brittle Super Stars in the league and its getting kind of old.
    Mr. Glass
    Crutch City