1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

calvin murphy says he doesnt particularly like the nba game today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim petersen84, May 3, 2020.

1. jim petersen84

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'd rather see players shoot 3s as opposed to dumping it inside and watch the bigs bang around...but that's just me.

Elephant810 likes this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Not me, I miss bigs. NBA isn't the same without them.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I agree that the league has become too 3 happy. There's really only one play style you can win with in today's NBA, 3 out with 2 guys camped in the corners at basically all times. The numbers are too clear that if you aren't shooting a ton of 3's, then you don't stand a chance. No post ups, no mid range, little movement and no need for great passing. Just drive and kick.

I would prefer they pushed back the 3 point line, and eliminated the corner 3's by making the arc go from sideline to sideline. If the value of the 3 were nerfed it would allow other play styles to flourish. Mid range shots and the post game could make a comeback, and true long range bombers would become crazy valuable.

5. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Calvin can say Harden gets calls that earlier era players did not get. However he conveniently forgets that in past eras the offensive player got away with a lot more as well. Players pushed off on the regular. The screens were harder and offensive players got away slapping and stiff arming on offense.

#2 No Calvin, you were not as good a shooter as Steph Curry.

D-rock, tycoonchip, saleem and 3 others like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i prefer a more balanced game... rather than just live or die by the 3... imo...

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I honestly don't see how a player can push off more than Harden or Paul George or Kawhi? Is that possible? I doubt that claim. I remember how controversial the "push off" was by Jordan against Bryon Russell and you see that all the time today.

I definitely agree with your second claim.

PDJACK7 likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There’s not a whole lot anybody can do abouit it, outside of moving the 3PT line back, eliminating corner 3’s.

The league found out a more efficient way to play, its like crying to ban pick n rolls because they are so effective.

JeffB and hakeem94 like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer balance like when the Clutch City Rockets can beat you inside with Olajuwon, Outside 3 point shooting with horry, Cassell, Max, Elie, Bull, and Kenny, or drive and penetrate like Sam or Max and Kenny when he first joined, or do pick and roll like when Kenny and OT did that and won coach of the year for Don Chaney

3Rings, jim1961 and BossHogg713 like this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I actually think the game now is the most entertaining it's ever been. I think the biggest change is that now, more than ever role players aren't allowed to do stuff that they suck at. There are still post ups from guys like Embiid, AD, Jokic, etc but nowadays random backup centers won't be given that chance anymore cause you'd rather gamble on a 3 if the odds are the same. Same with the mid range. Guys like Cp3, Aldridge, Derozan will take them but guys like PJ Tucker won't.

And the unexciting 3 ball might be the final result of lots of plays but I particularly enjoy the defensive breakdown and play making that leads to the pass going out the 3 ball. Watching superstar players destroy individual defenders in space is more fun than its ever been. I loved watching Hakeem post up but there isn't anyone now who can do it like he did so I'd rather see something else than a poor imitation.

Y2JT and hakeem94 like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In his era he certainly was as good a shooter as Steph. 100%...

12. JW86

JW86 Member

Agree with Calvin. Like many have said, it should be balanced. The NBA not putting any rules in place to make it preferable to have a big man in the post is a crime at this point. We cannot go more extreme and when it went the other way in the 90s, they made rules to make the big man less effective with shortening of 3pt line and no more backing down for more than 5 seconds.

They’ve done zero to balance out the game. It used to be about competitiveness and the game itself mostly, now it’s more about money, high scores and casual viewers. The NBA is not concerned about flopping and limiting defense. It’s not about Silver, he would make changed if it served the interests of everyone, but it simply doesn’t. It’s a shame really.

I personally watch 90s games way more than today’s with serious physical battles, defense at a high level. Players today are better shooters overall, but still I’ll watch a 80-78 game over a 133-128 game all day every day.

3Rings, Caesar, jim1961 and 1 other person like this.
  13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

90's basketball was 100% more competetive & more personal. The game now is so watered down its almost unwatchable. It's almost like guys like Harden get their 40pts & then non chalantly walk off, without caring about wins or losses. Winning a championship doesn't mean anything anymore

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think the three point shot has hurt the game. Without the three point shot we would see offensive plays being run to get shots from all over the floor. It would be more interesting for sure.

What if the 3 point shot was changed to a 2.5 point shot?

harold bingo and kjayp like this.
  15. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

No one is disagreeing that 3 pt shooting is the way to go in today's game. And as a GM, Coach and player you have to incorporate it into the offense. But as a fan to watch them abandon every other offense aspect is terrible to watch. I love to see my Rockets win, but no enjoyment of watching that style of play.

GotGame15, kjayp and KingCheetah like this.
  16. rockets13champs

It’s per era. This era is the 3 era. It’s gonna change again with the new generation. Nba is a kids sport 90% players are 18-30. So as the new age of 18 year olds come in. The game will go away from the 3 and will change.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The game needs to be more balanced, but as mentioned dumping it into a big man in the paint every play wasn't the most enjoyable thing either. The refs are too quick with the whistle today, but were way too slow back in the day.

kjayp likes this.
  18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Does everyone ignore this guy now or is someone going to address how uneducated this take is?

D-rock likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Calvin was a borderline all star during the NBAs late 70s nadir. Ironically this era is one in which he could have done much better.

Either way, nobody wants to see Dave Cowens anymore.

D-rock likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Math won't change.

3's (and the extra space they create) are disproportionately valuable. That isn't gonna change any time soon, there's absolutely no logical reason to think it will unless 3's become a more difficult shot.

Kid's are chucking more than ever.