1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: Rockets need to take shots available even mid range

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andre0087, Jan 25, 2014.

1. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Bit hard to drive to the basket when your team mates are setting you picks and moving without the ball. You see all the other teams against us actually have plays where they can create space for others. We seem to only be relying on the 3 point shot. Other than Harden who else can drive to the hoop? Oh yeah Lawson was supposed to be good at that..

Harden was playing almost league average defense last year and that has seemed to regress. It's not the coaching, is really the amount of effort the players are lacking. You can try to motivate your guys all you want but when your star player isn't trying to play 110% your other soldiers are hard pressed to listen and follow suit.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets and warriors go cold from 3. Barnes comes in and hits midrange after midrange and we have our deficit. Need versatility.

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Barnes if no KD in the offseason is mandatory.

From there we need an effective PG and bench scoring

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

but morey's vibrating calculator! he triggered it to vibrate when they shoot threes.
    plus two's are useless shots
    yes i know jordan and kobe won 5-6 rings shooting mid-range jumpers, but w/e. three pointers or bust! thats morey's philosphy and we're sticking with it
    im thinking of gettin one of those calculators btw, somoene spot me a thousand dollars real quick

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Barnes bs parsons...go!

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Damnit I meant versus lol

7. houtown

houtown Member

The Rockets I think should possibly only take shots in rhythm, whether a 2 or 3, and not worry about whether their foot is on the line or not during the game. The game of basketball may be mostly predicated on rhythm during a game.

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Barnes SHOULD be the first priority. Every man and his dog will be after KD. He's not coming here. Harden is a number one option, Barnes is the perfect sidekick, and I think GS are reluctant to pay him.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I guess you ignored all those midrange jumpers bricked by the the Rox in the 1st q

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden is taking more midrange this year and hitting a good amount of them.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

PnR with Howard at/near 3 point line diminishes his value, because he's unable to finish anything outside the paint. Same with Capela and Tjones, Dmo and Josh are the only bigs that can excute the high PnR.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dont want Harrison Barnes...Yea he had a good game last night, basically because his coach told him to abuse our guards on the post. But there is one player that intrigues me more so from that team...and that is Brandon Rush. The guy can shoot, and would be a perfect fit to this team.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

hope the rockets make a run at harrison barnes. really good wing player who can guard multiple positions and all around game.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering midrange moron brigade consists of some of the very least substantial, fact-free analysis you'll find, and that on the other side lie many of your perceived nemeses, it is fairly obvious why you'd plunge into the poop river.

Listen, I grew up watching Calvin Murphy, unlike many here, though it was at the tail end of his career.

I like his funny suits and appreciated some of his clownish routines.

I find his compulsive fathering of children bizarre and ultimately a bit tragic for the kids. (I remember we used to play Calvin Jr in basketball in HS, didn't realize he had such rough go of it).

I find it laughable that anybody thinks somebody who played 40 years ago during the worst era in franchise history, featuring mainly as designate chucker on terrible teams, which was worth a few all star nods due to his stature, somehow has any particularized insight into Association Basketball in 2016.

Quick - what does Nate Robinson think, anybody know?

Somebody call him on his cell phone...cell phone.

15. ibm

ibm Member

^^^

its funny... calvin played long time ago in a diff. era, so his view isnt valuable because of that. and your own view is more credible just because you've watched this game longer than many fans?

so that makes phil jackson or pat riley irrelevant, i guess? what popowich? he never set a foot on the pro court, as you know.

and how's murphy's fathering have to do w/ his opinion of bball?

empty post isnt it.

16. SamFisher

No his view isn't valuable because it isn't backed by any data points other than "well its what I did on a bunch of horrible rockets teams so it must be fine to do now"

This is pretty much the standard ex-jock analytical package, Barkley etc. So hackneyed.

Golden State is in the middle of a *Historic* run of league domination using a paint/3s philosophy.

The Rockets offense is still one of the most effective in the entire league.

But...against those data points, we have Murph saying "midrange worked 4 me, so that must be the problem"

Get some facts, arguing with you people is like listening to a GOP debate. Nothing there.

1 person likes this.
  17. ibm

ibm Member

back up arguments w/ data? where are they in your post?

we shot the 3's better than the gsw last night. 13-33/39.4% vs gsw's 12-34/35.3%. we still lost. now let this sink in, and tell me how's "back up" your point, if you have any.

if anything, your posts are exactly like those gop debates - empty, that is.

18. SamFisher

here are some numbers: 47-4, 1,

This is the record in 2016, offensive ranking of a team that treats mid ranges as radioactive.

Here are some more numbers 67-15, 1, 1

This is the record, offensive ranking, and number of championships won by a team in 2015 that treated mid ranges as radioactive.

Calvin Murphy is correct of course that this strategy wouldn't have worked when he in his late 70's heyday....becaues 3 point shots didn't exist.

It might be amusing to listen to the Jock-ocracy for entertainment purposes when discussing tactics, but listening to Calvin about strategy is like asking the guy who once worked the fry basket at McDonalds how they're going to rebrand themselves & regain market share in a fast casual/artisanal food world.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Please list the Rockets that you feel can shoot 40%+ from the mid range?

Rocket River

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member