1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calm, cool, and collected: How Jeff Hornacek's keeping the Suns hot

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BackNthDay, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ected-how-jeff-hornaceks-keeping-the-suns-hot

Please take a look at the quote from Jeff on how he's getting his young team to play team ball. I wish our team understood this concept night in/out. We don't get it.

"So what's the secret? How do you take a team this inexperienced and new to one another and convert them into a team that shares the ball, finds the open man, and consistently finds a way to win?

Well, I think first," Hornacek told CBSSports.com, "you gotta have that kind of player. Unselfish guys. Every guy thinks they can score. They can take the guy who's guarding them. We had a little bit of an advantage because every guy I talked to when I got the job said 'Hey, we liked each other off the court. We all got along great. It was when we were on the court that we were a little selfish.' And I said that's one thing the coaches can work on, playing unselfish and playing hard.

Early on in training camp, we made it an emphasis that when we saw a guy not make the right pass or the extra pass, we'd stop the play. And we'd explain to the guy, if you just make this play or find this guy, then this or that will happen. And in the beginning it was a little bit of a struggle for some of these guys, but when you do things over and over again, it works. That's probably what makes San Antonio so great, Pop harps on it. The top ten teams in the league all share the ball, they move it quickly."

Phoenix is actually 1 game behind us, with significantly less "star" talent, why because they play team ball and make that extra pass. Not the AAU hero ball we tend to play. This isn't the D league!

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

this is in the correct spot..100% belongs in the GARM.

Thank you for your contribution to this site.Repped

1 person likes this.
  3. Play07

Play07 Member

the thing is the rockets were the youngest team last year MCHALE had them moving the ball around last year, yeah harden would ISO sometimes but you have to expect that when you have a "STAR" we would blow by plenty of teams last year just because of our ball movement and uptempo play.

This year we have HOWARD so you won't see that much ball movement when you have a POST UP guy, SUNS don't have a post up ISO guy, their centers job is to rebound, set screens & play D just like ASIK did last year. So you will always see the SUNS with more ball movement than us.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I'm glad that he has pointed out what I was saying, it is the coaches job to break them of the selfishness.

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Jeff Hornacek's is right about Rockets--we are not a top ten team.

Offense and defense are intertwined and inseparable. Great team defense begins with sharing the ball on offense!

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Another quote from the article.

"We try to always say 'If you hold the ball and you hesitate and your first look is how can I get by this guy?' It's probably not going to work. You know when the pass is in the air, whether you should catch it and go or if you have an opportunity to catch it and shoot. But you can't catch it and then think that. You're going to be a second late and then it's not good. I think it's a testament to us as coaches for making it a priority right from the start, and a testament to the players for knowing they're all going to get their fair share of shots. If everybody shares it, and they're unselfish, everybody winds up with the same amount of shots anyway.

Sounds simple enough, yet that lack of ball movement, that ball stoppage and hesitation, is rampant and a serious problem offensively throughout the league."

Also, D12 doesn't inhibit our ball movement, once you swing the ball from side to side it actually opens up for D12 because you have big men on the move creating space for D12.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

Don't complain about ball movement now if wanted a POST Presence, rockets moved ball the ball with dream but he was a better passer with more court vision if he didn't like his positioning he would throw it right back to the player in less than 3secs to get him to move it around, or so he could get a better positioning on his defender, Or he could dribble just just to draw double team so he could kick it out to a shooter or a cutter.

With Howard once he gets the ball he doesn't pass out much, which leads to a score, offensive foul, him going to foul line, travel, or turnover.

Harden would ISO last year but it didn't look as bad because we didn't have another person doing ISOs with him & harden would get better screens & picks also which would cause less ISO.

8. conquistador#11

don't see anything wrong since we are struggling with that and the op references us.

however, come on breh, you can't play democratic basketball* when you have mega supertar harden on the team. Sure, sharing the ball works for champions, but I'm more interested in if he can take all five defenders on a given play.

*referencing coaching staff's comment on democratic ball.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Not complaining at all, just an opportunity for the Rockets to be more unselfish and it's the coaches responsibility to make that happen. Dwight, either go or throw it back out. James, don't let the ball stick, Jlin don't jump in the air when passing. TJ don't hesistant, Chandler just go, no need to pump fake everytime you have the ball. Move it, move it, it gets the defense out of rotation.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

I understand exactly where your coming from & this is a a great thread, I like what he is doing with that suns team. When I watch them they remind me of how the rockets played last year.

They have a shooter at the 4, ppat delfino last year
    They have 2 attacking guards, Lin & harden last year
    they have a solid center who rebounds, screens, protects the rim, asik last year

11. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

damn hater shut yo annoying ass up fool!

12. conquistador#11

it's too late. dr frankenstein created his own isomonster.

i swear i hear mchale say move it move it all the time but the player just does not make it happen. when he says, let the ball do the work, which was being poked fun at, that is what he is saying, to move the ball.

13. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

real great aritcle to read. Definitely a Gem of a Coach

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not to pile on to to James Harden any further, but when he's on the floor we assist on 51.3% of our baskets. When he's not on the floor, we assist on 58.4% of our made field goals.

On the season thus far, this particular assist% metric correlates to the outcome of the game to about the same degree as our team's turnover%.

Also, not surprised that Hornacek is so successful as a coach. Say what you want about their dirty tactics, we know those Jazz teams were always excellent ball-movement teams.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ok, but are plays being drawn up for Harden, is he being to told to take the ball and iso? because he is the first person they give the ball to. It looks planned.

16. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Reported for foul language.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Read it Harden... Hell even you McFail.

18. TeamBall

TeamBall Member

Nonetheless

Fast paced or not, ball movement to the open man still rules.

19. TeamBall

TeamBall Member

There is only one ISO guy

Just review the 4th quarters, last year and this year. Its just too predictable and too easy for the other teams to defend. Get the ball to the open man with a high probability shot.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What are those numbers relative to other high scorers/number 1 options?

I would think a decrease in % of baskets assisted is typical when the primary scorer is out.