1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all out stats(Morey, read this, too).

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DraftBoy10, Dec 5, 2015.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised:

"I'm smart, everyone else is dumb" thread ... :eek:

[​IMG]

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Everything changes every year, no team stays EXACTLY the same because players are adding stuff in the offseason, getting worse with age, new rooks into the team, FAs, trades etc. If we go by your standards you will never be able to study anything because majority of variables will be different every year. You're also asking everyone to take into account psychological factors, back2back fatigue, new system and things which aren't quantifiable when they make graphs and ****, how exactly does that work? Also your grammar needs a lot of work wtf is a "withstanding amount"?

I'm not even sure what your point is, obv most of the people here just posting because they like the Rockets and actually have other things going on in life you won't find anyone who will give you an exhaustive study just for giggles.

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Its a foundational book. We start there, and work from there. I have many other more advanced ones to recommend but you got to start somewhere.

4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

You pretty much got the jist of what I was trying to say, except for the fact of drawing conclusions from stats. vs watching the game. I really don't think this way anymore, I did before I must admit. The more I watch the game the more I look at advanced stats, the less I see the relationship.

Yes, nihilsim. I do not subscribe to it, and I am/was trying to state when someone spits stats you, you can easily argue so many different variables from that stat--that it'd negate it.

It's all arbitrary, and the stuff that you wish you can quantify-- you cannot.

I do not know what you are saying or alluding to, I did not go to school where Morey went.

Aren't quantifiable-- exactly.

You can't quantify some variables that are big enough or strong enough to change the actual things you DO quantify. Therefore rendering it useless.

You made my point.

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

OP, you seem intelligent, but so are many posters here, and many have advanced understanding of stats, finance, etc. Not everyone is a JCDenton.

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I imagine many here are smart, so that is why I brought this up. This post serves more as a basis, as opposed to a question.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I didn't know JC Denton had any children.

Hey DraftBoy10, didn't your daddy tell you to always include charts?

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

No one like you. Please go away.

If you used your condescending tone on most posters here in person, you wouldn't reach that 25th birthday of yours.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

needs more graphs

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

If you were smarter and better in life, you wouldn't have a 24 year old doing better than you.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Dad's a 9/11 victim, why don't you go ask him up there and pat yourself on the back for ridiculing this.

12. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Ok now this, what's the point of even saying that? I'm not condoning what oakdogg said but seriously, what does "doing better" even mean? Do you even know the guy in person and if so, would you even have the guts to say that to his face? You're making assumptions simply because you've got that princeton degree stuck so far up your a** that you've lost the ability to be relatable. Just look at this thread, you've taken a very reasonable and in my opinion, very important message, and just turned into a circus of personal attacks through your condescending tone. This thread, unfortunately, just seems like an excuse to flaunt your intelligence for no good reason.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Fair enough, lets keep it on topic. Stats in basketball are an imperfect data set.

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

In other words:

Maybe, maybe no.

15. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Thanks, I agree. That bolded statement just about sums it up. Recording statistics, attempting to control them for potentially expounding variables, and ultimately trying to determine variables that more often then not, are good determinants of the results you want to predict/examine. This process is probably difficult for any individual educated specifically in the field, let alone the many amateurs on this board (myself included). The advantage Morey has in this regard, is experience. He has been gm for many years, so he has an idea of what works and what doesn't. No one else on this board, no matter how educated, has this advantage (unless of course, some of the members are members a sports franchise) so at the end of the day its hard to argue against Morey. He has first hand access to results that occur due to statistical analysis and certain assumptions. He's definitely played with certain approaches over his course as gm. No one here has that kind of direct access, so most insightful analytical posts on this board always provide a pretty heavy disclaimer. That said, we need to champion these kinds of posts and ignore ridiculous assertions (instead of giving them hits just to bash the op.)

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What a hypocrite!!! Look who's drawing conclusions from imperfect data sets now? Best go back to school and study up a lot more, champ.....

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There are things people refer to as intellectual. You, random guy, are a pseudointellectual. I've read everything you said and it's just defensive garbage. A truly intellectual person doesn't need to state a resume. It's needless if you're actually smart.

A true genius would never assume that someone has read the same book they have. This is easily the weakest argument you've made in this thread. This post is the post that started to make me think that you're actually stupid. Like socially and essentially r****ded. It's like you have no clue and you've never actually gone back to your original point. Who does that? Oh, yeah, social r****ds.

If I was as incapable of thinking as you are at 24, I'd be forced to work at Taco Bell. This isn't a bad thing, especially if you think what you are, matters.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is he dating a Kardashian?

19. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Exactly like dating a Kardashian, or rather dating anyone in general. I don't actually think him dating Khloe is any better or worse than him hitting up whores or 'instagram models' on IG. In a non ideal world they both distract harden from basketball, though I don't have any data to prove such claims.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I can't stop laughing. This is classic!