1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all out stats(Morey, read this, too).

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DraftBoy10, Dec 5, 2015.

1. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Morey, I know you're reading this. I know you're a McNair guy too, we're both alumni. I'm not on the compsci part but was on the applied econ/fin/mtm side. So I'm not going to take a dry numerate approach, I'm going to have to apply it past that.

And I know you can attest to this, but you do not necessarily emphasize this. For the rest of the fans here, please do NOT bring up statistical analysis, graphs, etc., if most and probably all variables are not similar.

Listen, when statistics are handled. This is even at level of trading(phys/fin commodities, indexes, etc.), physchology is ALWAYS overlooked. We can factor that in, too, and I will later but we'll focus on stats.

When you check out player comparisons versus themselves or others, always take into account some basic stuff; offensive systems, defensive systems, rotations, head coach, injuries, new personnel, back to back, etc.

These are raw variables that will CHANGE every stat you put out. Don't even bother letting me getting into stuff like a player who just found out his girl cheated on him the night before a big game, or just figured out that afternoon of a game his boy took his weed, don't get me started on that. I'm just stating stats.

No stats unless ALL variables are similar. I want similar samples, very similar and quite a withstanding amount not just a 1, 2 game sample.

So any time you read a post, that says hey look at these stats, always ask yourself.

1) Was the personnel the same?
    2) Was it the same offensive system, or defensive?
    3) Back to back or not?
    4) Injuries or not?

Those and I can add some more, it'll literally refute most, if not all, of these arbitrary stats you CFers put up and get from other places. These ones are basic, I can nitpick and really derive absolutely nothing from these **** stat posts if I continue to see them,

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When you are following a player and trying to determine if that player would help our team, what do you look for?

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

What if morey came out here and put them hands on you

4. bmd

bmd Member

100% of this thread was 40% intriguing.

5. jefferytop

jefferytop Member

what a weird thread. lots of grammar mistakes too.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Morey dont play

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Chef curry with the pot BOY!

360 with the wrist BOY!

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Amare Stoudemire approves this thread.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The next time you read a post by DraftBoy10, consider all the factors. Ask yourself: did he take his meds this morning? Is he in the middle of a manic episode?

DraftBoy, don't log onto Amazon.com! Don't do it!

Psychology is ALWAYS overlooked.

3 people like this.
  10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

DmO is our savior, forget your stats.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mcvh35RcoXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Amazon is a great source. I highly recommend some books, first let's start with a basic.

The Selfish Gene. Guys please order this book, read it and then keep it on hand. After every significant life turning event; come home and some dude boinking your wife, fired, new job, hot new girlriend, hot new boyfriend?, best friend ate your birthday cake, etc. Read this book, there will be a new meaning.

Following this book, it will depend on what you do career wise or where you would like to go. If you're a trader like me, Nassim Taleb's stuff.

Almost like the Rockets winning percentage, similar losing percentage for traders. 58/42, I'll try to get that number up, please bear with me though.

A lot, to be honest. So much more than +/-, PER, I think there's a whole bunch of variables. I know, not a great answer, but best I can do from a high-level overview.

I'd be honored. Honestly, I would. I'd love to pick his brain some. I mean ****, I'd sign a NDA and pay for a few hour meeting to see what he's looking at.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Forgot about you, sorry. Yes, English is not my first language.

14. noppeper

noppeper Member

Maybe you should also take into account all the variables when reading posts by members of this bbs:

-Emotional state
    -Native tongue/country of origin
    -Most importantly, is the poster sober?

There are a lot of members here who post stats and qualify them with all the unknowns, variables, etc., and warn the reader to take them with a grain of salt. Most of the time, these posts just trigger interesting discussions that help us understand the game better and provide awareness of things that we might take for granted. And if not, then what is the harm? Draftboy is going to get mad and start "****" threads waving his economics diploma at us simpletons for overlooking all the complexities involved with analyzing the basketball game?!?

Maybe you were drunk when you started this thread...

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I really don't understand if you're calling out morey, or clutchfans, or both..... Or why.

Well done.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I mean... obviously context is needed. I don't think this is breaking news to Morey.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I'm convinced. I'm not quite sure what I've been convinced of but my resolve has never been stronger.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I went to Princeton for PACM, and trade natural gas/ngls for a living and I am still some time away from my 25th birthday. My resume speaks for itself. think I'm more than qualified to create a thread, and more than qualified to give input on this. Ultimately, I think Morey knows this too. ;)

Sorry, I learned french before english. I'm still doing fine. And I abstain from alcohol, so no I wasn't drunk.

Care to explain your background, b****?

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It's easy to say that, but most people ignore this. A lot of the context is never provided. Just think about any article you've read basketball wise that emphasizes a statistical point to prove itself. Ask yourself about the relevant topics, the context, etc., and you'll usually see a lot is not present.

Thank you!

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Oh snap draftboy goin in!!