1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all Capologists

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Assuming the Tmac deal is executed, what position are the Rockets in for additional movement and FA signings this summer?.... Exactly

I haven't really been keeping up closely enough with the board activity over the past week, so I'm just not sure what we have. Are we able to sign FA's without using execptions?

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

im not a "capologist" yet but i am studying capology.....

i would say that we only have our MLE (about $4.5M), million dollar exception for about $1.6M, and the TE which i believe can be used in a sign and trade for $6.99M + the salarie of whatever player we send with it.

i dont think we have anything else other than that, although i have never been a good student.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DR -
    The Rockets are over the cap and will be so with McGrady and the contracts needed to balance the trade moneywise. As an over the cap team, exceptions are the only method available to obtain players.

First, the Rockets will have 1 mid-class exception or mid-level exception. The MCE/MLE was worth about $4.9m in 03-04 and should rise to at least $5.2m for 04-05. This exception can be split and can be from 1 to 6 years in length. Brent Barry's agent is on record that they are seeking a 4 year deal for MLE $.

The Rox also have what is known as the $1m exception (actually $1.6m for 04-05). It may not be used two years in a row and to my knowledge, the Rox did not use it last season. It has a two year max length and can be split.

The "vet minimum" is also for a 2 year max but can not be split. It is based upon experience and ranges from $385k for 0 years to $1.1m for 10+ years. (I'm sure no one cares, but Antonio McDyess would get $1m for his 9 years of service ;) ). To my knowledge, this can be used multiple times within the same season to obtain FA's (Mark Jackson and Oakley for example).

By virtue of the Rice-Amaechi trade, the Rockets have a "credit" (or trade exception which technically is not it's name in the CBA) which allows them to take in $6.99m more in contracts than they ship out in a trade. Like all the other mentioned exceptions, it must be used independently and can not be combined. Unlike the other mentioned exceptions, it can not be used to sign FA's. It is for trade use only

Lastly, the Rockets have the ability to re-sign Mike Wilks and Scott Padgett (Non-Bird Exceptions) without using any of the aforementioned exceptions.

I hope this helps. :)

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I was fortunate enough to get excellent advice from both aelliott and NIKEstrad as I was learning. Hang in there...it's worth it. :cool:

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

There's a possibility we might also be getting a TE from the Francis/McGrady trade, depending on the players involved, and when it's finalized, due to Francis BYC. but it wouldn't be more than between 1-2 mil.

#5 Sherlock, Jun 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  6. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Im not a capologist......

But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Thanks Gater and smoothie. Very thorough.