1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling All Basketball Historians: Pick the Team that Most Resembles the '00 Rox!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Oatdog, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

Going into training camp, I thought it would be kind of fun to see what team from basketball history you guys think our 2000 Houston Rockets most resemble. My knowledge of NBA history only goes back so far, but teams I could see these Rockets compared to include the championship Pistons (we've all seen that done before), Hardaway's Warriors, and KJ's Suns (both with and without Barkley). I'll break down how I see these comparisons later if nobody agrees. So what classic teams do you see the Rockets playing most like?

------------------

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think we play like the Late 80 early nineties pistons. Cept Stevie is better that Thomas

------------------
    Who's Banana?

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, if you put a thick beard and some curly red hair on Jason Collier, he kinda resembles Bill Walton...

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

[This message has been edited by A-Train (edited October 01, 2000).]

4. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

The team that resembles the 2000 Rockets is the (70's, I think) Bill Walton led Portland Trail Blazers championship team. Because this team is not star-studded but very deep in a sense that everybody is a solid contributor.

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The 1999 Rockets (end of season) [​IMG].

6. BigDog

BigDog Member

I would say that this team resembles that 1980-81 team of the Rockets that was lead by Calvin Murphy, Mo Malone, Rudy T, Billy Paultz, Mike Dunleavey, Allen Leavell and Bobby Joe Reid. Given the right time, the 2000 team could accomplish the same feat. With Steve, Cat and Moochie in the backcourt, Shandon, Walt, Mo, KT, Bull, Los, Langhi and a healthy Dream up front. They could sneak in and do some damage.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BigDog (edited October 02, 2000).]

7. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    How Sweet it is!

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The 76ers of 4 years ago. Iverson (Francis) at the point, Stackhouse/Jimmy Jackson (Shandon/Mobley) at the 2. Derrick Coleman (MoTay) Clarence Weatherspoon/Tim Thomas (Wiz/Kenny Thomas) and Montross(Cato/Collier ).

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited October 02, 2000).]

9. BigDog

BigDog Member

BobFinn,

I didn't know that Stack and Hughes played together. I thought Stack was traded for Theo Ratliff. Anyway, that was still a good comparison.

------------------

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Your right BD, Stackhouse was traded for Ratliff. I will edit above post.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

11. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

BobFinn,

Funny thing is we actually have less talent than those Sixers IMO. Fortunately, I think we have a lot better team concept, better coach, and a more selfless franchise player. Not to mention Mobley and Francis' relationship is the complete inverse of Iverson and Stackhouse's. There haven't been too many teammates who hated each other more than those two.

I'm leaning towards those old Suns teams, b/c we have offensive weapons out the wazoo surrounding a stud PG. One big plus for the Rockets is they don't have that big hole in the middle. Same advantage over the run-and-gun Warriors of Tim Hardaway.

The only personnel similarities I really see b/w the Rockets and the Pistons are Francis/Thomas and Mobley/Vinnie J. I think the comparison will always be there though, b/c the Pistons is the only great team I can think of whose PG led the team in scoring.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Oatdog (edited October 02, 2000).]

12. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

They remind me most recently of the 94-95 Mavs. They finished 36-46 after the rookie year of another nice PG, Jason Kidd. That team was young and held a lot of promise. They were also more talented on offense than defense.

Let's just hope the next few years end up a little better than they did for Dallas.

------------------
    "I'd like to be going down Fourth Avenue in a parade with all the graffiti coming down on our heads." -- Patrick Ewing, showing off that Georgetown edumacation.