1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Caller on Sportsradio 610: Juwon Howard's career over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by El Toro, Jul 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

Alright, which one of you called Sportsradio 610's afternoon show to say Juwon Howard will not play basketball again? A caller came in towards the end of the show (around the 6:00 pm mark) and said he knows from a reliable source (the Rockets trainer, or someone who is familiar with them) that Juwon Howard suffered a minor heart attack this past season and the Rockets have been notified that his medical condition will not allow him to play NBA level basketball again. Rich Lord questioned the facts on this since no one has mentioned this anywhere and stated the Rockets would have gone after a power foward in the draft were this the case, but the caller seemed insistent and wanted them to know where the heard this first. From some of the earlier posts in here Juwon Howard did say that he had some early signs (pain in left arm, tightness in chest) of a heart attack but he continued to play through the pain. This is the first I am hearing of a possible end to his playing career.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

That's a horrible rumours to start.

3. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

I don't want to believe it. :(

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

It was tinman. :D But I didn't think he hated J Howard so much as to spread false rumors about his health.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Hope its not true.

Heres hoping Juwan is healthy, whether he plays basketball again or not. :)

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That's horrible. Why would someone make that up?

7. daRox

daRox Member

:mad: this better be a joke

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Last Saturday, the Chicago Sun Times published an interview with JH at his basketball camp. To summarize: He said he had a mild heart attack, but because it was caught very early, he is cleared the play.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-juwan01.html

9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Just crazy!!!!!!!!

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Wouldn't surprise me, as he has a pretty serious heart condition. If Juwan is really at risk, I would recommend that he retire. Some things are more important than work, and if Howard suffers a heart attack, his life may be over.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Did you guys miss the Chinese article from late last season (before it came out that he had a heart infection) that he had an incident at his home and had to be taken to the hospital?

It was strange because some things were lost in translation and so we (the people on the other board) all thought it was fake and wrote it off as an April Fool's joke (not funny) but then a week later the heart infection business came out.

So, I'm fairly sure that the heart attack part of this "rumor" is true. The career ending part is what I question. I thought he recently said he was fully recovered and even started light workouts already.

12. Bob

Bob Member

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Words really wouldn't justify how much I hope this isn't true, for his sake.

But to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if it was career threatening. Heart conditions are much different than other sports related injuries & ailments and its obviously nothing to mess with.

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

That's crazy..
    :/

15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

delete: no medical exception for players who retire even for health reasons. But, it is up to the teams discretion whether to pay the player, and if they do, the full salary counts against the cap.

so, we may be seeing a Bagwell situation here where Juwan is trying to get paid before he retires.

#15 studogg, Jul 5, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  16. ddly_tng

ddly_tng Member

I just hope JHo will be alright. He was one of my favorite players on the team this past season.

17. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Sure hope he is alright.

But if not, his salary better be insured.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hope that his heart problems aren't that serious, for his sake, nevermind the Rockets. They'll manage one way or another. I just can't imagine having serious heart problems at such a young age. I hope he lives a long healthy life, whether or not he ever wears a Rockets jersey again.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i hope he is ok, but if he isn't then i hope he retires.

if he can't play anymore but doesn't retire it would screw us over cap wise. with 3 years left on his deal i don't tihnk he will retire. maybe this is the reason he isn't letting anyone know about it.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

[callous business mode] You know with the new CBA, if Juwan retires for medical reasons, he would come off the books one year after his last game instead of two. That means that either we would have yet another expiring contract that we could parley into a high priced player that needs a change of scenary. Or we could let all the contracts expire and have a bunch of cap space to work with.

If Juwan's contract comes off the cap before next season, and we sign Yao to a max extension, AND we use the full MLE this year, we could still have upwards of 11 million in cap space. That's enough for a near-max player, or a pretty big salary player + decent role player money.

Hmm.... [/callous business mode]

I really hope Juwan's okay. Health above everything else.