1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Call to arms! - Champion Rockets dissed in SF Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Grotebier, May 17, 2006.

1. Grotebier

Grotebier Contributing Member

Hi all,

This is my first post. I've been a die-hard Rockets fan since 4th grade when I moved to Houston. I live in SF now. I lurk on these boards a lot, but have never posted until now.

Anyway, local sports 'writer' BettingFool has a column in the SF Chronicle, and he wrote this article basically pissing on Astros fans for cheering Bonds getting plunked by Springer the other night. I agree, not cool. We are kind of touchy about Barry anyway out here, serious love-hate thing going on.

BUT, he then goes on to trash Houston in general, and then drops this dookie:

"What's that, the Rockets won NBA titles? Why yes they did, when the NBA was at an all-time low. Along with the Baltimore Ravens in football and the Arizona Diamondbacks in baseball, the Rockets were some of the worst world champions -- ever."

Also he thinks Dallas is "classy and cool."

So, let the flames begin! There is a link to complain under his article:
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2006/05/17/fool429.DTL

2. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Dont complain. Ignore it. This is a cry baby and he is loving your reactions. Let the b**** talk ****, who cares? He just wants to piss us off, why should we please him?

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Everyone already knows that guy is an idiot, but I just wanted to point out that the NBA was a hell of alot more popular in 93' than it is right now. And the quality of play was much better then as well.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why bother? Anybody who writes or says "Houston we/you have a problem" in the context of a sports cliche is automatically deleted from my life.

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

When has Golden State ever won anything. Until his own team wins something, he shouldn't criticize others who have.

6. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

who the hell does that guy think he is.. screw him.. he dosen't know wth he's tlaking about. we dont even need to listen to this guy

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

we deserved for cheering on someone who was just hit by a pitch...

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we need to send this dude to his house
    [​IMG]

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

im not going to reply to the guy. i mean, this looks like a crap publication, like someone writing an article for the GREENSHEET.

I know why he wrote this.. cause no one in San Fran cares about basketball, so you write negative stuff to tick off some people.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Who writes for a paper and doesn't put their name on it? Is this an editorial or what?

11. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Why do you guys care what someone with the name 'bettingfool' said?

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Rick Barry won a title with the Warriors a LONG time ago.

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

All-time low? Those titles were right in the middle of the NBA's GOLDEN AGE.

17. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

haha, bay area teams never won anything. sharks is pretty good thou

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The 49ers won plenty.

This guy's definition of great championship teams are probably those he likes. This guy's definition of bad championship teams are probably those he didn't like.

The fact of the matter is this: Had the Knicks and Magic won those championships they'd be remembered by many, and this guy especially, differently - as the Knicks glorious return to the top and Shaq-fu's first stamp on a hall of fame career.

The fact of the matter is this: Had the Yankees beat the Diamondbacks it would have held further testament to the wonder of their baseball superiority and domination.

The fact of the matter is this: The greatest of the great only come from a few places - NY, Boston, Chicago, anywhere in California and, slipping in there, Dallas, if in football. Short of absolute domination, any championship team from anywhere else is so-so. Heck, even with relative domination (Spurs from 98-99 season till today = 3/7 championships), you are probably below par in most people's minds outside of those cities/states.

At the end of the day though, if you take the championship basketball teams from the past 25 years or so (Spurs, Pistons, Lakers, Bulls, Rockets, Celtics) and had them play each other in a playoff, anyone of them would win any year, imo.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Living outside of Houston you realize how little respect Houston gets. Most people are surprised that Houston is the 4th largest city.

20. Grotebier

Grotebier Contributing Member

Mike Bauman chimes in: http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/...ontent_id=1459286&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

"And some people are arguing that this episode reflects badly upon Houston. Come on. These three games in Houston were not the Nuremberg rallies. I have observed conduct more objectionable than this at other parks. And one of those other parks was in San Francisco."

That hadn't occurred to me. You should see some of the stuff that goes down during Dodgers/Giants games. A Giants fan was murdered in the Dodger parking lot a few years back.

So clearly BettingFool is a moron, and maybe Houston has some less agreeable qualities as a city, and maybe our fans can be fair-weather and/or b****y, but I still can't understand how anyone could seriously claim the two Championships were weak or less impressive.

I guess it's all flame-bait.