1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Call me crazy...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 29, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't think Bruce Aryans and Pete Carroll are lucky. Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick. Russell Wilson a third round pick. Doug Baldwin undrafted. Thomas Rawls undrafted. That's not luck. That's good scouting and coaching.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There is literally ZERO chance BOB spends a first round pick on a wide receiver.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agreed. I believe they are hoping that in Strong's 2nd year he'll become their #2, and they can still use Shorts in the slot if they choose.

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Interesting pick. It would also solve the Texans problem at KR/PR. He's a project in that he still needs to work on his route running but his upside is as high as any receiver in this draft.

I still think if the Texans are not doing qb in the first they need to go with a tackle. There seem to be alot of good ones in this draft. Move Newton to guard and let someone else over pay for Brooks.

5. conquistador#11

a first rounder for someone that the offense calls for to catch 40-50ish balls? strong can do that and more. Maybe for our 3rd round selection, not the first. we are hurting at the qb and you can protect the qb with arian like foster production at the RB position. So whichever of those two positions best fit the system should be the ones taken before a #2 receiver.

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

As much as I like Elliott in RD1, I think the RB position is extremely deep in this year's FA - Starks, Powell, Ivory, Doug Martin, Lamar Miller, Draughn, Forte. Most of these aren't necessarily game changers, but they provide you the flexibility to postpone drafting a RB by 1-2 years, allowing you to focus on QB and another skilled offensive player.

I think ultimately BOB understands the offense has numerous holes, and he will take the best offensive player available when the Texans are up in RD1.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Even if Braxton miller ran a 4.3 could he get open vs a NFL defense and can he catch. 3rd or 4th rd yes but 1st rd no way.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've been a James Starks fan since I played against him in
    high school. He'd be a great complimentary. I don't know if he's the answer here, though. I'm curious to see if he leaves Green Bay, but I doubt it.

Forte is the obvious choice. To me, I don't know why we can't keep Foster. Yeah, he's coming off an injury, and he's always injured. Cutting him, though, will only save us like 6 million. Can't we renegotiate to make up for most of that, and keep him?

As far as Miller goes, I have no doubt he can get open in the NFL. At the Senior bowl, dbs couldn't even stay within five steps of him. And yes he can catch.

As far as how he can be used in this offense, and saying that he'll only get 40-50 touches a year - not true. He's a dynamic playmaker. Say he gets 30 catches a year. Say he runs the ball 50 times a year, which is nowhere near out of the realm of possible. Say he throws 15 passes a year. Say he returns kicks and punts. That's more touches than Hopkins. Worth a first now?

This guy could be Reggie Bush with an arm.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like he'll tear up the CFL.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, it's weird that you name drop a draft bust in Reggie Bush to try and justify someone going in the first round....

11. Two Sandwiches

I wasn't talking about Reggie Bush after injuries slowed him down. I was talking about Reggie Bush coming out of college and what everyone hyped him up to be. Should have specified.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but Reggie Bust never lived up to the hype. He was nothing more than a kick returner really. He had his first success in the league as a RB 6 years into his career and that minor success ended after his 8th season. Ben Tate had about as much success as a RB as Bush.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Your boy's not looking too good in actual game action right now.

14. Two Sandwiches

Just finishing the game.

Not too worried about it as timing is hard to establish, and aside from the one drop, he didn't really have any issues. He did display that he's dynamic with the ball, just a bit, but didn't have many touches overall.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

How many catches did he have and how many drops did he have?

16. Two Sandwiches

Not sure, to be honest. Like I said before, practice player of the week. Not always the easiest thing to perform with new qbs you met a week ago.

He wasn't any worse than Wentz.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I always thought he was a 3rd or fourth rounder even after watching him practice. Maybe he'll sneak into the 2nd but there are 3 or 4 receivers better than him in this draft IMO. Put him on the right team and in the right situation and he'll excel.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Miller had a rough start, dropping a pass in the flat thrown by North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz on the North's first drive. But the former Buckeye quarterback turned wide receiver showed his skills not only on the outside, but as a runner and returner. He finished with two catches for eight yards, one rush for five, returned a kickoff 31 yards and also a punt for two more.

Miller nearly scored twice. He forced a pass interference penalty on Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones in the corner of the end zone on a fade route, then had a pass from USC quarterback Cody Kessler go off his hands after it was tipped at the line of scrimmage.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Vandermeer has Miller to Texans in the first round in his first mock draft.

20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

So Eddie is actually Vandermeer?