1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California Governor Signs mar1juana Decriminalization Bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Oct 1, 2010.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

California Governor Signs mar1juana Decriminalization Bill

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2010/oct/01/california_governor_signs_mariju

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) Thursday signed into law a bill that decriminalizes the possession of up to one ounce of mar1juana. The bill reduces simple possession from a misdemeanor to an infraction.

Currently, small-time pot possession is "semi-decriminalized" in California. There is no possible jail sentence and a maximum $100 fine. But because possession is a misdemeanor, people caught with pot are "arrested," even if that means only they are served a notice to appear, and they must appear before a court.

That has happened to more than a half million Californians in the last decade, and more than 60,000 last year alone. Every one of them required a court appearance, complete with judge and prosecutor. That costs the cash-strapped state money it desperately needs.

Under the bill signed today, SB 1449, by Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), pot possession will be treated like a traffic ticket. The fine will remain at $100, and there will be no arrest record.

In a signing statement, Schwarzenegger said he opposed decriminalization for personal use—and threw in a gratuitous jab at Proposition 19, the tax and regulate mar1juana legalization initiative—but that the state couldn't afford the status quo.

"I am signing this measure because possession of less than an ounce of mar1juana is an infraction in everything but name," said Schwarzenegger. "The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial and a defense attorney. In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement, and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket."

"Gov. Schwarzenegger deserves credit for sparing the state's taxpayers the cost of prosecuting minor pot offenders," said California NORML director Dale Gieringer. "Californians increasingly recognize that the war on mar1juana is a waste of law enforcement resources."

The law goes into effect January 1. Even if Prop 19 passes in November, it leaves in place misdemeanor charges for smoking in public or in the presence of minors. Those misdemeanors would become infractions under the new law.

1 person likes this.
  2. GladiatoRowdy

About time we started moving towards a sane drug policy.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The next question is . . . what does one have to do to become a legal dealer.

This is a half measure. Cause you concede they were involved in an illegal transaction. You cannot just legalize one part or the end result of a crime
    but leave the rest legal.

This would be like saying it is illegal to buy/install an illegal version of Windows
    but . .. once it is on your Computer. . it is ok.

Rocket River
    baby steps i guess

4. GladiatoRowdy

I agree completely. For me, decriminalization keeps some of the worst parts of both prohibition and legalization, but leaves the best parts on the table. At this point, I am just happy that Californians won't have to appear in court over mar1juana charges.

Now, if Prop. 19 passes, they will be able to tax and regulate the mar1juana trade once the federal government gets THEIR heads out of their collective a$$es.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

what would you call a sane drug policy?

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cali ftw

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I don't know about him, but I'd call it legalization, taxation, regulation, and education.

2 people like this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A great step towards legalization. Hopefully, other states will see how well this works and enact similar laws.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Expect the Prison lobby to fight back. They need those numbers for $$$$

10. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/viyNrDU1fks?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/viyNrDU1fks?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

12. tallanvor

for every drug?

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thank the over capacity, swelled up jails and ballooning costs to taxpayers for getting this enacted. Though the conditions which it got passed isnt that big a deal here, as long as the laws are fair. (Not like there's ever going to be a ribbon cutting unveiling of decriminalization or anything...)

I don't trust California as a pioneer state in anything anymore. I live in California, and though they get things right time to time the legislature has lost complete credibility with me. (And the current governor campaign is a joke, which is not an encouraging sign of things to come). Which is too bad, since the world will be watching to see how this plays out.

At the same time, when you just can't take in more than you can hold and you have to start giving exceptions to the least criminal behavior to avoid, its telling that they choose pot possession. Its a straight admittance that its always been overrated on its criminal element.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

Aren't you in favor of legalization of all drugs?

15. tallanvor

Yes. I was trying to ascertain his view.

16. Raven

Raven Member

That's a very interesting point.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Cali weed is really good.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Terrible decision -- it's no wonder the California budget deficit is so high.

19. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yes. My body = my rules.

20. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Not when it can possibly endanger others, but I guess if alcohol is legal, w/e! I'm just not sure if it is possible to measure how stoned a person compared to a person's blood alcohol level. Can a person be too legally stoned to drive? :p