1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California Colleges Mull Return of Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Mar 14, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Many haven't found that to be the case in practice...

in theory, maybe, but what actually happens is another matter

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There shouldn't have been? Really? I'd think hundreds of years of institutionalized racism/segregation/slavery etc were a pretty compelling argument towards increasing diversity in previously all-white university systems via affirmative action policies - which is kind of what happened.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hardworking white and Asian students are not going to be denied college education because of the color of their skin. Yes they might not get their first choice but there are still many other opportunities.

Taking my own example. CAL was my first choice and I got in, even though I was Asian, but if I didn't get into CAL I was already admitted into UT and could've gone there on a scholarship. Heck I would've made money going to UH. Barring those schools still could've gone to Rice or a lot of other private schools or out of state state colleges. At the risk of bragging here the point was I worked hard in high school, got good grades, did good on the SAT but since I went to a high school that, at the time, was decently funded got a chance to do a lot of extracurricular activities that looked very good on a college application.

The point is that even though I worked hard I still had a leg up on someone from a school in the Rio Grande Valley who didn't have the same opportunities that I have. I wouldn't have been happy if I didn't get admitted to CAL or UT but it's not like I wouldn't have gotten into college. Someone from the Rio Grande Valley might not have that same opportunity.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt he thinks Colin Powell or Clarence Thomas who both benefited from AA are unqualified.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

10% rule or some form of that seems like a pretty good compromise considering all the factors and it does not exclude anyone just because of their race.

6. pirc1

Every politician says education is important, but does this country really value education? Well educated person is often seen as elitist, nerd, bookworm. Parents often spend hours with their kids at various sports activities but very few of them spend the same amount of time with their kids on school subjects.

Asians and Jewish families are the ones that really stress the importance of education, and it shows up in the academic achievements of Asian and Jewish kids.

If other kids put in the same efforts I am sure the achievement gap that is constantly being talked about would be much much smaller or non existent.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Reggie White agrees.

Blacks: "When you look at the black race, black people are very gifted in what we call worship and celebration. A lot of us like to dance, and if you go to a black church, you see people jumping up and down because they really get into it."

Whites: "White people were blessed with the gift of structure and organization. You guys do a good job with building businesses and things of that nature. And you know how to tap into money pretty much better than a lot of people around the world."

Hispanics: "Hispanics were gifted in family structure. You see a Hispanic person, and they can put 20 or 30 people in one home."

Asians: "When you look at the Asian, the Asian is very gifted in creativity and invention. If you go to Japan or any Asian country, they can turn a television into a watch. They are very creative."

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Why should this be forced upon them?

What if Cal was your dream school, and now you have to move away from your family and your hometown to "pursue your education". All of that is negligible?

Sounds kinda like Jeremy Lin not getting into Stanford and going to Harvard to "pursue his basketball career".

"He went to Harvard so he shouldn't complain", its precisely this attitude that is so backwards and that completely misses the point.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

First, choice abounds - there are abundant substitutes in the US so that the binary choice scenario of "either get in AND REALIZE YOUR DREAMS or be exiled thousands of miles away" is only realistic in the mind of an overdramatic 18-yar old.

Second, nothign is being "forced" upon anybody in the same way that any other factor isn't "forced" upon you.

What about the scholarship/slot that goes to some dumbass football player who hit the genetic lottery - is this being "forced" upon "them" any more than admitting an underprivileged student? It's not of course. Regular students who aren't born as football players have to work much harder in school to earn their spot. And I can dream up of hundreds, if not thousands of other scenarios in which people are "forced" to not realize all of their choices due to luck/chance/birth, through no fault of their own. This is just a little thing we call life. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

A lot of this is just looking for scapegoats, I'm reminded of the chick who brought the last case before the S.Ct who didn't get into UT law schoool. She wasn't denied admission because of blacks/hispanics getting her slot, she was denied becasue she was a mediocre student.

10. dback816

dback816 Member

Right, so now a group of White and Asian highschool seniors must pay for the price of slavery and segregation in Year of the Lord 2014 right ?

I'm waiting for you to actually give a sound argument for why kids today should be denied the schools of their choice only because the color of their skin.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but 400 plus years of injustice isn't rectified in 50 years. It might take a little longer.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

rocketsjudoka seemed to imply that Berkeley admission = scholarship to UT = get paid to attend UH, where the alternatives are equal or just as good as the first selection. That is simply not true and inherently subjective to the individual. Choices being forced on you based on race and skin color is discrimination by definition. Your example of football players born with genetic advantages is an example of merit or ability based reward, so I agree with you, that's life.

13. pirc1

How about this. Since white people are the ones responsible for all this, we assign a certain percentage of admissions to African Americans and Latino Americans(not sure why they should be grouped with African Americans but whatever), etc. After that it is all based on pure merit as in the current UC4 system.:grin:

14. dback816

dback816 Member

And we rectify this by denying rights of people who had nothing to do with it?

I'm sure youre not delusional enough to think Asians and white kids today are responsible for slavery as much as plantation owners.

15. bigtexxx

that's what this is about for you? Righting the wrongs of slavery?

Were hispanics enslaved in America? Why are they taking the benefits of slaves' descendants? What about Obama, who's African father's family wasn't enslaved, but his white mother's side were slave owners? Yet Obama would be eligible to benefit from AA. L-O-L

logic failure left and right on your part

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If being "forced" to go to UT with a scholarship is what you have to complain about, then you won't be getting too much sympathy.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No, getting a better education for the people at the universitites is what it's about to me. I used the word "injustice" not slavery.

You are off base.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

AA isn't about punishment. It's about making universities better part of which is done by diversity. I've already posted studies that show how diversity helps students at a university.

19. bmd

bmd Member

No, I'm saying regular middle class kids are penalized for going to a competitive school where kids make good grades and kids who go to a school that isn't competitive are rewarded.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying.

20. bigtexxx

HA!

Now you're dancing

400 years of injustice doesn't have anything to do with slavery?

total fail on your part. lol I love watching your flimsy logic fall apart.