1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Caitlyn Jenner gets an ESPY and angers many

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 3, 2015.

?

Does having a sex change and facing hate for it take "courage"?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Don't know / Undecided

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Don't care about the award stuff but yes it takes courage to do this.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No one in that family has any pride or shame. They deal in attention and money. They pimped out their daughters multiple times. They will do anything to stay relevant. The fact one is on TV more raises their self esteem, there is no other metric.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its such a meaningless award. I honestly think it should have gone through someone who has fought through a life or death situation (cancer, war, etc.) but there are very stressful psychological factors associated with something like this as well that shouldn't entirely be discounted.

Let's not forget, even as far as we've gone in recent years to allow for social progress concerning society's perception of homosexuals, there are still tons of people still in the closet too afraid to face backlash.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I agree it's a meaningless award. But you know what, giving it to Jenner actually gives it a lot more meaning in that it creates a lot of attention and awareness to the issue of transgender and acceptance. It's not the same as homosexuality by the way.

I don't blame ESPN for giving the award to Jenner - not just to honor Jenner but because it will have exactly this kind of result and force attention on the issue. It's a huge win for all people who feel they were born the wrong sex. Jenner is their hope that they can lead a normal life. Without some of them there wouldn't be direct-to-person satellite com - everything from Sirius to Direct TV is made possible by this woman's work.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A disgrace to the sanctity of the ESPY Awards. ESPN is turning this time honored tradition into a farce. Sons and fathers wait a whole year for this event and now it's a joke.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's Bruce being serious or is it an act to get another reality TV series now that he's out of the family? Serious question. Also, how does one have muliple marriages to women and have kids if he never felt like a man. Again, I'm asking because I don't know how these things work.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

there's already a brand spanking reality show coming out following his new life as a woman called "I am Cait"

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's telling that so many people upset with this are falling for an Internet hoax created in the aftermath of the announcement.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah a lot of courage

btw dont forget to tune in to my new reality show coming that already has a promo out.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Genius move by ESPN. Now millions of people who had no idea what an ESPY was, are now talking about the ESPYs.

I still don't give a **** about the ESPYs.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Did ya'll know that Iran and other muslim countries give free gender reassignment surgeries in lieu of being put to death for homosexuality.

1 person likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

just out of curiosity why does that matter? I mean she doesn't need the cash or publicity, but if you think about it, it's the best thing she can do to support others and start to do for transgender people what folks like Ellen and other did for gays.

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

for context, last four awards went to:

2014: Michael Sam -- first openly gay NFL prospect
    2013: Robin Roberts -- coach and cancer victim, recently came out as gay
    2012: Pat Summitt -- Coach diagnosed with Alzheimers
    2011: Dewey Bozel -- boxer, wrongly convicted, works with kids.

Difference with Jenner is that he hasn't been involved in sports for a very long time. In fact, he hasn't done anything of note for decades. His life has been a complete trainwreck for the last while, and he's signed on to continue the embarrassment with a new reality show.

Courage? For others, yes...for him -- hard to tell. I don't think he's an inspiration or role model for others. He'd have to be accomplishing things for that besides cashing checks for appearing in a self indulgent reality show. At this point he's more of a laughing stock which is why the selection is getting more press than it otherwise would.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Social change takes courage

[​IMG]

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Yes, it takes courage.

The other candidates had courage, too. It's hard to say who had more courage, but Jenner has been irrelevant in sports for decades. Ergo, I think the award should've gone to another candidate.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Coming from that family, I doubt a reality show is genuinely just a way to support other trans gendered people. If it was someone else I would totally agree with you, but this is a family that literally made a multi million dollar empire based on nothing but reality show drama.

I'm not gonna believe this has more to it than just more media whoring, just like everything else they have done in the past few years.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't he kill someone in a car accident recently?

19. Buck Turgidson

I don't really care one way or the other about this, but it's always funny to see all the macho sportsfans on this board who are flip out and are totally insecure in their heterosexuality.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There are probably gay men who don't like this either as others invalidate their gender authenticity because of their sexuality, there are some feminists who feel transmen (?) are attempting to indulge in male privilege.