1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cables for an HDTV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hitman21, Aug 2, 2007.

1. hitman21

hitman21 Member

I just bought a 61' Samsung DLP LED HDTV. Do I also need to purchase additional cables for my televsion? I am a first time HDTV buyer so I am not sure what extras I need to enhance the picture/quality. Thanks.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Depends on if you have a HD source like a digital cable or satellite box.

Either way, I use this wholesale site: www.monoprice.com for my cables, mounts, etc. I got my mount (nice and sturdy) from there $37 shipped, my 10 ft HDMI cable for $5. Never buy retail.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Depending on your HDTV box, you will need component cables or an HDMI cable.

Speaking of this, Comcast subscribers...I got the new Scientific Atlanta box with HDMI output, but the HDMI doesn't work (though it's not the TV b/c my cable works with my DVD player)....does anyone else have this problem?

4. hitman21

hitman21 Member

I just signed up to get digital cable. So do I need to purchase cables to watch HD programming or does the cable company provide cables to hook up my television?

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

What do you mean by "does not work"? Is there no display or is it not displaying in HD?

6. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

I have that a recent HD-DVR Scientific Atlanta box that TimeWarner distributed and it works fine with HDMI output at 1080i.

7. Blake

Not displaying anything. Just a blank screen without sound. I know it isn't the HDMI cable or the television, because it works with my DVD player...

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

HDMI or component cables are a must if you want to output 1080i. I'm not certain about Comcast's policy, but I know Time Warner included component cables with their HD-DVRs. And they have HDMI ports as well if you want to use those cables instead. I used to have a regular HD tuner from Time Warner and it had a HDMI-to-DVI port.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Did you configure the box correctly?

10. Blake

wasn't aware that I needed to configure the HD box. Just plugged in and it didn't work. Used the component cables that were provided and they worked just fine, but I would like to use the HDMI cable instead.

How do I configure the box so that the HDMI outlet works? Thanks!

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when you want to config the picture settings, go here
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=709624

one dude has his tv set like this:
    Starter Settings
    Digital NR - OFF
    DNIe - Off
    Mode - Movie
    Contrast - 70
    Brightness - 40
    Sharpness - 0
    Color - 45
    Tint - G50/R50
    Color Tone - Warm2 (or Warm1 if it appears too red)