1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cable TV] FX Presents Guillermo Del Toro's 'The Strain'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Hopefully it picks up next episode. Haven't seen many vampires outside of the first episode.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nora is such a p***y.

3. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

I know the guy who plays Gus ...it's crazy to see him on TV. He is also known as the rapper Aztek Escobar who was signed to Jay-Z's label at one time. It looks like he left music for acting.

As far as the show I have only caught a few minutes of it. From what I have read it is a vampire/zombie type series. I'm going to catch up on it seeing as it is only 3 episodes in.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm still enjoying it.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ah . . .had to look him up. . . the Crack head brother.

The Old Man is hell with the sword. . .

Rocket River

6. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

For real, like how many more of these monsters need to threaten your life before accepting they need to be put down.

7. Buck Turgidson

Like the premise, execution not so much. Trying to keep my brain turned off.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Anyone still watching this? The pace has picked up over the last few episodes, that is for sure.

They announced today that The Strain has been picked up for a 2nd season.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Didn't enjoy it too much honestly.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am enjoying it. The pace is slow but good
    Not much else out there

Rocket River

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

we're enjoying it.

I like the different concept, on the whole vampires thing.

Generally, I couldn't give a crap about the genre, but this just seems different.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I thought the first episode was pretty bad, I had a hard time believing the acting.

It's definitely gotten better each episode, that nagging wife who ended up killing herself and her neighbor got on my nerves quick. Call the f'ing doctor you stupid woman, your husband is drinking blood! Don't keep asking him if he is okay when he is turning white and blue! How stupid are you!

This is why I can't go to the movies, lol.

Anyways, the show has gotten better and I'll continue to tune in. Definitely not one of the better series, but it's an interesting story.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Exactly, I'm not into vampires at all. I don't even really care for zombie movies or shows. I've seen the first four episodes of Walking Dead, and while I thought it was an interesting and well made show, I'm just not all that into the science-fiction/zombie apocalypse genre.

This show is interesting because it props up all these other narratives, like the government keeping it a secret, some rich and powerful mortal trying to save himself by destroying the world, a crazy guy who doesn't give a hoot and will chop off your head in a second -- even if you just have the flu! Then you have the manic CDC scientist and his two hot girls and it's just like what more do I need?!

I hate the child though. God I hate child actors. I know they're just children, but they suck at acting. Quit smiling you stupid child, your father is acting crazy and talking about an incurable disease spreading rapidly through the city killing anyone it touches and the government is keeping it a secret....kid smiles and runs upstairs to grab his suitcase....wtf? No, start breaking down crying like a normal scared kid would do...**** I am over thinking this again. : )

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm hooked. I think the show is pretty cool.

15. PeppermintCandy

I'm enjoying it overall, despite some flaws.

Especially the scenes and dialogues that flesh out the human characters' relationships are pretty schlocky, which IMO was the same weakness in Del Toro's "Pacific Rim." And the acting outside of the pest control guy and some of the older actors is rather average.

But it's laid out an pretty diverse range of characters, personalities, and cultures, and if and when the humans start banding together to take on the vampires, it can get pretty fun.

Plus, I like how it's handled the whole vampirism as an infection angle so far. It has the potential to be an interesting mixture of fantasy, horror, and sci fi.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've started reading the book.

17. Buck Turgidson

Russian Guy and Old Guy are my favorites, can't wait for them to team up and kill things.

I love how the little worms can get splattered everywhere but once someone says "look out for the worms" then they're not a problem anymore...until poor fat guy. I liked fat guy.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

LOL, that is very much the case with the little worms. Old Guy and the Russian are my favorite as well. It's not a great show but still watchable.

Surprised there isn't a twitter account for Corey Stoll's wig.....

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I like it, its decent but does have its flaws. I also thought the suicidal wife was stupid for not calling someone about her husband.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I don't understand why the rat-killer didn't contact or call anyone after seeing all the vampires in the sewers?