1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cable Television] Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson's 'True Detective'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Sep 10, 2013.

1. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Nothing supernatural about it, just basic human madness.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched that terrible Texas Chainsaw movie on Netflix's hoping we'd see the goods, never happened so I was quite happy with her showing up on this show.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I figured.

4. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

I'm enjoying the prevalence of prostitutes on this show so far. It seems they everywhere in the creole state. That scene where they show a street with about half a dozen of them and Rust asks one of them questions-I have to spend a little over a month in Lafayette for work, could one find a area like that or is such a scene non existent these days?:cool:

Rust's back story was incredible this episode. Unloading on a junkie for Injecting an infant with meth to "purify" him is pretty heavy. 4 years deep narco leading to not arresting people for drugs is one heck of a transformation. Psychedelic visions? Q: were those birds by the church real or not? Is he still in law enforcement as he is being interviewed? working 4 days a week and living behind a bar?

Can someone explain how dry cleaning can screw up somebody's nails so badly?

1 person likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I doubt it. Lafayette is all about good food. That scene does exist in Southwest Houston though.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is this show chalk full of sex and nudity or is it used when it makes storyline sense?

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Only one nude scene so far, it's no Game of Thrones, not even close to it.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Also - this show has good music.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

#89 Dubious, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure she brings him (or pretends to) some court papers in the police station in the first episode.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This show is fantastic! The sheer rawness of emotion shown by both Harrelson & McConaughey is something to see. One of the best shows I've seen since The Wire. It pretty much shows what working in law enforcement does to a man - how it can twist and destroy one's spirit. You can see this happen up close as the young McConaughey character is consumed by the job. The pace is deliberate and rightfully so because these two detectives are tasked with solving a crime that pushes both men to the edge of reason and sanity.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Yeah she isn't a prostitute. The typical relationship where he is married and doesn't want to leave his wife and she would like for him to leave his wife and be together kind.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

There was something that Harrelson said in his interview that sticks with me. During his interview, he said that "you have to get your release where you can". I took this to mean that he wasn't above engaging in adultery as some sort of means to cope with the pressures of his job. That confrontation between him and McConaughey in the locker room where he showed up in the same clothes from a day ago sort of lends credence to this fact - especially since McConaughey called him out on what he was doing.

14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Episode 2 was a wonderful hour of TV building off the great first episode. Just in case, spoils.

Loved the last shot as we rose up and saw that road that lead to the church through the tall grass.

Not too mention that giant owl that was in the barn, apparently due to keep the mockingbirds at bay because they were very loud while filming, but it fit the atmosphere nice.

Cohle's Backstory was handled perfect.

Woody's character is just as much a mess as MM's, sure he hasn't been through all of the hell Cohle has, but man his kids playing with the dolls, crime scene or gang-bang I wasn't sure. cheating on his wife, then trying to save the young pro. Not sure where I stand with him. Even though his gal on the side is older, she displays youth, what she was wearing when he came over, etc. I thought Woody was so in-sincere with the main chick out at the ranch, made me scratch my head a bit. Like he was putting on a show for a second, he didn't feel quite comfortable saying what he said, I don't know it was weird.

Wish this was a Netflix show so we got all the episodes at once.

15. TheresTheDagger

The music and cinematography combine to almost make the setting in Louisiana a "silent" character as compelling as the main characters.

Really well made series. I've found that I have to watch each episode at least twice because I'm trying to not miss ANYTHING. It feels like every scene is adding something critical to the overall story.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, that makes it MORE interesting aside from DaDDario. :eek: NOT.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Here's a good timeline for those who confused with the story so far

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1vpwhf/s01_episode_2_rough_timeline/

--May 11th, 1984 Dora Kelly Lange's father dies. She's 17 at the time (date given by mother, victim's age was given in episode 1).

--October 11, 1987 Stacey Gerhart (14 years old) is murdered. Case still unsolved in 1995 when Cohle sees her on the Billboard.

--January 3rd, 1989 Cohle's daughter dies. Afterwards Cohle & Claire begin to resent each other. Cohle transferred from Robbery to Narcotics for the next three months.

--March 1989 Cohle & Claire divorce. On the job, Cohle kills a father for injecting his daughter with crystal.

--1989 Cohle is involved in a deep undercover narcotics job for the next 4 years.

--1989 The Fontenot's attended the minister's church in Erath (minister said he'd seen them 5-6 years ago).

--1990 Marie Fontenot (10 years old), formerly of Erath area, goes "missing". It was assumed she left with her father, Len Stroghes. Her mother, Debbie Fontenot (priors for drug abuse), remarried & moved to Vegas.

--February 1993 Cohle kills 3 cartel members undercover. Sent to a psychiatric hospital in Texas (date given by Cohle in 2012 interview).

--Summer 1994 Dora Kelly Lange moves out of her place in Saint Martinville (given by landlord).

--Summer 1994 Dora Kelly Lange starts staying at the Hillybilly Bunny Ranch, south of Spanish Lake (given by interview with friend of Dora).

--1994 Cohle is out; suffers from PTSD, fried nerves, lack of sleep. Transferred to homicide in Louisiana.

--October 1994 Cohle & Hart are partnered up (they were partnered 3 months before the 1995 murder).

--December 3rd 1994 Dora Lange Kelly went by her mothers a month before her death (given by mother).

--December 1994 Dora Kelly Lange visits her friend with the black star tattoo's. Also, calls her ex husband in prison some time during this time. Tells them both that she's found a church.

--December 1994 Dora Kelly Lange leaves the Hillbilly Bunny Ranch two weeks before her murder. Her friend there said that she's found a church & was happy for her.

--December 14, 1994 Molly Ann Ross is chased through the woods by a "green eared spaghetti monster" in the same jurisdiction as the Marie Fontenot case.

--December 1994 A few weeks before the murder, reports of mutilated cats on the ministers church (given by minister).

--January 3rd, 1995 Dora Kelly Lange (28 years old) is found murdered in Erath.

--January 1995 Investigation of nearby area leads them to the Fontenot case. Cohle finds a "devil net" in the Fontenot shed.

--January 1995 After Dora Kelly Lange is identified, Cohle & Hart interview friends of the victim & track down where she was staying, Hillbilly Bunny Ranch, where they find her diary.

--January 1995 Cohle & Hart discover the church with a mural of a lady with an antler crown.

--1995 Case is solved.

--2002 Cohle & Hart have a falling out.

--2010 Cohle comes back from being off the grid for 8 years.

--April 26th 2012 Cohle is interviewed by the two detectives/agents.

--May 1st 2012 Hart is interviewed by the two detectives/agents.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The scene with Woody's kids and dolls... wondered if it was real or in his head.

19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Assumed it was real, the girls were saying something as he approached the door, I need to go back and watch - but who knows. Here's the dolls -

[​IMG]

Also, When they interviewed Dora's mom - that picture of a young Dora surrounded by those men on horseback? Creepy

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's interesting that the King in Yellow references this story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow and the "green-eared spaghetti monster" reminds me of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lovecraft horror stories revolving around madness, so it's interesting that they have included these details.