1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cable/Dish Network/Direct TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by <3myrockets, Jul 19, 2012.

1. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Hey guys, I've been off cable for a while now due to finances but now that things are in order I've been missing out on watching my Rockets play. I was wondering what services you guys use to watch the games, what your experience has been thus far and if you would recommend it.

Also, if you DO recommend one I'd appreciate any deals you may know of as well. We could all save a few bucks here and there.

Thanks!

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

just cancelled my cable yesterday. see thread in texans forum. :eek: my advice. don't go back to it.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Comcast is evil. I am switching to DirecTv (just in time for the Viacom spat :(). I am getting like $45 off of my bill for the first year. I also just bought a Roku, to get Amazon video on demand for movie rentals. I am unsure when the Rockets and Astros switch to their Comcast channel if that channel will be available on DirecTv.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I am deathly afraid of this as well. Does anyone else have any information on this?

5. <3myrockets

I had no idea this was going to happen. Was it Comcast's customer service or pricing?

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Go with Directv. They have amazing offers right now including free NFL Sunday Ticket when you sign up. Email me through the board and I can refer you to get you an extra $10 a month off. *Full disclosure, it gets me $10 off as well.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I can't offer suggestions between cable and satellite as deals will vary in your area in regards to bundling.

If you do go with satellite, go with DirecTV. They have some really good deals and products. Pretty much everyone who has gone from Dish to DirecTV have been very happy. Just make sure you research what you want.

8. justtxyank

DTV just has a significantly better value proposition over cable. More HD, lower price, better customer service, etc. I hated my time with Comcast. Hated.

I still use their internet but I will never go back to their tv programming.

9. No Worries

Service.

Internet would go out over the weekend, only to return Monday morning. Like clockwork, Internet would yoyo up and down every night between 9-10 pm. FTW.

And at least once a year, cable would go out for 24+ hours for no apparent reason. My HD signal also got cropped, except for Texans games. FTW.

I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore.

;)

10. No Worries

I did the paperwork yesterday, so I think that ship has sailed. Sorry for the both of us.

11. No Worries

Comcast SportsNet Houston (abbreviated CSN Houston) is an upcoming regional sports network that will operate as a member of the NBC Sports Group and affiliate of Comcast SportsNet and serve the Houston, Texas market, scheduled to launch in the fall of 2012.

Hopefully DirecTv will carry it.

1 person likes this.
  12. justtxyank

Dang. You can always call and ask lol.

13. No Worries

Comcast's Next Big Battle May Be in Its Backyard
    Posted 2:00PM 02/09/11

Comcast (CMCSA) will soon need to compete for the hearts and minds of sports fans in the Philadelphia area.

Under the terms of the recently approved takeover of NBC Universal, the world's largest cable company is required to make Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia channel, whose programing includes games from the Philadelphia Phillies, Flyers and 76ers as well as college teams and sports talk shows, available to satellite companies, along with its other regional sports networks.

For years, the Philadelphia-based company had refused to do so, arguing that FCC rules did not require it because unlike most cable channels, Comcast SportsNet is broadcast using terrestrial -- not satellite -- equipment. This has meant local sports fans have had little choice but to be Comcast customers or miss watching many of their favorite teams on TV.

<hr>
    It appears that Comcast has no choice but to let DirecTv negotiate to get access to Comcast SportsNet Houston.

#13 No Worries, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. <3myrockets

appreciate the replies guys. looks like most of ya'll are leaning toward the directv choice. i was planning on getting just the basic package but it looks like FSN is only offered in the premiere package. i'm guessing that if i get the basic package i have to get the sports package as well?

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Dish Network customer here.

Plenty of HD, ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST prices. Only complaint is that out of all the ESPN channels ESPN 1 & 2 are the only ones in HD.

I can respect Direct TV for thier NFL Sunday Ticket. I can't believe I ignored that when I went with Dish. All in all no regrets though.

16. DanMilite

DanMilite New Member

Ditto. I just moved to the suburbs of Chicago and got Dish. Sports package was 9 bucks....after all the promos I added my first month is under 30 bucks for 3 HD set ups with DVR on all 3.

The referral code I got gave me and extra $50 off my bill. I'll attach a picture so you know I'm legit about what I got and not scamming. Hit me up with any questions if you go the Dish route.

[​IMG]

17. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Agree with all this, but I would also like to add after having DISH for the last 6 years I can say without a DOUBT that they have the best DVR application out there. My entire family uses DirecTV and everything seems a step slower then my DISH dvr.

About the NFL League Pass thing, if you try and try and try you'll eventually get them to give you the Sports package (Red Zone) for free. If you're like me when I watch my Redskins games, I only watch the Redzone channel when my Skins games are on a commercial or when it's over I'll put Redzone channel on.

If DISH offered NFL Sunday Ticket for the current price DirecTV has it I would NEVER order it anyhow... I would only do it if I could get it free like 95% of America this year.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Very happy direct tv customer. Love using the iPad as tv interface. It rocks.

19. DanMilite

DanMilite New Member

Just got the Dish equivalent of that feature and it should be here Sunday....looking forward to testing it out.

20. GMNot

GMNot Member

I have been wondering about this of late. I have emailed a person with the Rockets that I had contact with a couple of years ago -- so far no response. So I called DirecTV just now and up to today DirecTV does now show that Comcast SportsNet Houston will be carried. Hard to imagine they'll remove their presence from DirecTV, though.

In the Bryan-College Station area, in the past, it has been included without paying for a regional sports package. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what develops. It couldn't hurt for as many fans as possible to call the Rockets media department and ask/complain about the situation.