1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye Bye Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by fya, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

IMO $22 million is a bit on the high side and I believe they will settle this for around $15-16 Million. I also believe if you look at the discount The Rocket took last year then went out and won a Cy Young then we need to look at the net worth of this over a 2 year period. The Unit will make $16 million per year over the next 3 years which would be $32 million over a 2 year span, if you add up Rogers numbers from last year $6 Million + $22 for this year your looking at $28 million over a 2 year span. Either way, IMO the Astros will get this done, let me rephrase that, they must get this done. The Rocket is a big boost to the butts who sit in the seats and as a season ticket holder I can tell you every time Roger pitched it was an electric atmosphere and practically sold out. If were going to go with the young guys this year we MUST have a solid pitching core and I`ll take my chances with Andy, Roger, OsWalt and Backe.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I believe the Arbitrator is busy dealing with Masterchief. How does he have time for all of this.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's getting real old now.

This will never get to arbitration. Should Roger decide to play, they will work out a deal. In arbitration, you are not allowed incentives. There would be no more season tickets. No more staying home when he isn't pitching. No more All-Star, Cy Young, or attendance bonuses. It would merely be a non-guaranteed 1 year deal. That is not in the best interests of the Astros or Clemens. They will work out a contract, probably in the $15-$17 million range, for one year should he decide to come back.

#103 leroy, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  4. Buck Turgidson

Just wanted to post this again...should be required reading.

The idiocy pervading this forum is mind boggling.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He is gone...He is owed it, but not sure if McLane will give him somewhere close...Better to save face and say Roger retires...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Split it down the middle, pay him for one last hurrah, and give it a go.

DD

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you seriously think Roger is serious about the $22 million?

Randy Johnson will be paid $16 million per season this season. Roger is worth $6 million per year more???

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

madmax.. I don't know if he's serious about it or not, but he knows that he has all the power in this situation.

He knows he's the last chance for Drayton to be able to get some full stadiums etc this year, and Drayton might bite on a really high number...

Only 9 players start for the NL, we've already lost a couple (Ok I don't remember if Beltran ended up starting or not for the NL, but if he didn't start it was only because of the switch in leagues).

Roger would be the third.... if he doesn't come back then Drayton could have one of the biggest drop offs in attendance after drawing 3 million.

For that reason Roger really may be worth the 22 mil to the astros.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I agree R Fan...Drayton will have to spend money to make money on this one. I don't think he is worth the 22mil but I do think he is worth at least the 16 that RJ will make. Hopefully they settle this...which, given the fact that they haven't gone to arby since 97, seems likely.

We might have trouble drawing 2 million this year without Roger packing MMP on his pitching days.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

It seems like people here aren't really understanding the whole concept of arbitration. If this ends up in an arbitrator's hand, the following things will happen.

1. The arbitrator will take the average of the two proposed figures. In this case, $17.75 mil. Astros and Clemens' agents will then argue whether or not the Rocket is worth this amount. That's right. Not $13.5 mil. Not $22 mil. But rather $17.75 mil.

2. The arbitrator will then decide whether or not Clemens is worth this amount. The most important thing an arbitrator looks at is comparable players. In this case, with R. Johnson and Pedro both signing for $15-16 mil, will likely be used to determine Clemens' worth.

3. If the arbitrator decides that Clemens is worth $17.75 mil, Clemens will get $22 mil, the number he proposed. Otherwise, he'll have to play for $13.5 mil.

4. Clemens can decide to retire afterwards if he wants.

5. The dollar figure in arbitration is non-deferred, meaning it's a 1-year payout. Clemens also would have no way of putting in perks like not showing up for certain road trips.

In the end, I strongly doubt that an arbitration hearing will happen. It's much more likely going to be settled.

Btw, I was listening to Richard Justice this morning on the radio. It was the first time I've done that(only listen in occasionally). But he was making some absurd comments on there by comparing Clemens to Jordan. I mean, it's one thing if Barry Bonds were the one making obscene demands, with baseball having a salary cap to make such contracts less threatening to team. But otherwise, how can you compare a baseball player to a basketball player? But does Justice really believe that crap he was spewing?

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

meh - why, if the arbitrator finds that Clemens is worth the average of the 2 numbers, does Clemens get awaded the higher salary? Are you sure about that?

12. MadMax

1. are you sure about those rules. it's my understanding he gets one figure or the other. that's it.

2. i heard justice saying the same thing. he's hardly worth talking about anymore. he says things all the time that baffle me. Later..even after he made the Jordan comment...he said he thought that Clemens was a money-maker for the franchise, but probably wasn't if it went as high as $22 million. the man constantly contradicts himself.

3. I think NJRocket is right..somewhere around the $16 million per year is where this should settle out. And that's significantly less than $22 million if you're keeping score at home.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

The Arbitrator can only choose between the 2 numbers presented by the 2 sides. For whatever reason they aren't allowed to give a compromised number. I sent an email to Richard Justice and he confirmed it.

It doesn't matter, it's not gonna come to arbitration

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Don't be a stranger.

15. Glish21

Glish21 Member

haha had to read that a couple times before I got it. nice one.

Ps pay him or not we're still gonna suck.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's just the way it is. I'm not sure about the logic behind it either.

Yes, Clemens get either 13 mil or 22 mil. But when the arbitrator hears the case, the number he must feel Roger deserves is only the average, or 17.75 mil.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

They both should be very busy with Halo 3.

[dream] Clemens comes back, we get Sheets and little Cruz in trades. [/dream]

18. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

I think they should cut him a deal....

Listen Rog - Remember the last game you pitched? All it took was one game to get us into the series.... But umm--- you pretty much blew it.

So heres a deal - we figure that was worth $200 Million losing that game to the fact that it dealt us losing Beltran, ticket sales, popularity and etc... for next year.

So how about if you come play for us next year at no salary and we'll call it a even?

You'll still only get to pitch first 3 innings anyways...

Sign riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here x

19. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

you guys need to look a little closer at the figures, specifically the Twenty-Two, smile, and respect a little arbitration humor between two sides that are on the same side.

Brilliant. I swear it's hilarious.

Welcome back Rocket.

20. MadMax

22nd year in the bigs...

$22 million :)