1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye Bye Langhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RodneyMcCray, Aug 10, 2001.

1. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

Of all the Rockets discussed on this BBS, I don't think there is a more overrated player than Dan Langhi.

If the Glen Rice trade occurs, I think my low opinion of Langhi's game is validated.

Dan doesn't move well laterally, which translates to poor defense.

Dan does not shoot well in games. From what I understand, Dan is a wonderful jump shooter in the gym. Of course, I also know 5 guys down at the Y who can't miss in practice either.

Dan is a weak athlete, and will get pushed around inside.

It is time for the Dan Langhi experiment to end. Dan, if you are reading this, please take Jason Collier with you when you exit the training facility.

2. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Don't be so fast to jettison Langhi!

His play in the preseason and early season will determine his success or failure. I for one believe if given consistent minutes he will earn a spot in the regular rotation.

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Ya gotta give these guys a chance.. weren't they both rookies last year? Sheez... :(

Ease up... Langhi's MY boy and I think he'll do fine, ya gotta have some faith and give these guys time to grow as players...

rH

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The Dan Langhi "experiment" is about to begin.

ITS ALIVE!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    (mad scientist laugh)

:)

5. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

A trade for Rice is an admission by the Rocket's management that the SF position is a problem, imo.

How many of you remember when Sam Cassell was a rookie? How about Cuttino, Jim Peterson, or Kenny Thomas? Hell, Craig Ehlo as a rookie was much better than Langhi.

You could see the promise in their games- the body control, ,a "nose for the ball", the fluidity, the basketball smarts, <b>the playmaking ability</b>. Langhi has none of the intangibles that make a good NBA player. He does not have the confidence to make it with the Rockets, and I will bet the farm he will not even be with the team next year.

6. haven

haven Member

As much as I hate to do it, I agree with RM, largely.

I don't think Langhi will be cut, but I think that at best it looks like we have a new Matt Bullard. That's not necessarily a bad thing; Matt fills a very good role on the Rockets. But Langhi isn't the dynamic SF we thought he might become. His lateral movement is too bad, and he doesn't seem to be able to get open well.

I think that his choking in "game" situations can be fixed with a little playing time. He's always had a great deal of pressure on him. Either he was getting playing time in very little doses and had to prove himself quickly, or he was under the spotlight at the review and playing for the rotation. Of course, other players have done better in similar circumstances.

I don't expect Langhi to significantly increase his role next year. Although I do think that he's being groomed as The Next Matt Bullard, that's a step down from what we had hoped: Our Next Starting Small Forward.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Rodney that is crap. The way you talk(write) it sounds like you are talking about a player with no history. Langhi domintated before he came to the NBA and if he was on the Nets last year he could have been chosen to the All-Rookie Second Team, because he would have gotten the time. He did not get that from the Rocket and his problem is simply one of confidence not talent or physical ability. The fact that the Rocket actually have him playing time at the 2, is not because of questionable ability, the opposite is true actually.

The potential arrival of Rice has literally nothing to do with Langhi; especially if it includes the departure of Walt. I would like the Rocket to let Bullard go and consider signing Dench or Rodgers. The line up can look like this:

Cato White Collier
    Taylor Thomas
    Rice Griffin Morris
    Francis Moochie Colson
    Mobley Langhi (Morris)

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Langhi is NOTHING like Bullard, absolutely NOTHING! The only thing similar about the guys is that they're both 6-10, and they're both white. Langhi is quicker, faster, more athletic, and more multi-facet then Bullard. When I saw him dominate at Vanderbilt, some of his games in Houston he kind of reminded me a bit Toni Kukoc, and with some of the potential athletic ability of Robert Horry. Saying he is like Bullard is like saying Shaq and David Robinson are the same type of player because they're both black and they're both 7-feet tall. You have to give Langhi more then a tryout rookie season to prove himself!

#8 RocksMillenium, Aug 10, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2001
  9. TIburon

TIburon Member

Guys I think we are all missing the big picture.

If Shandon stays then we bring back Bullard and Moochie.

If we sign and trade Shandon for Rice then we don't resign Bull and have to wonder how much money we have left for Moochie, enter Sean Colson possibly... Also maybe then we trade Walt for Jahidi White....

10. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i agree with rodney mccray..i think you are spot on in your take on langhi..

he is not what we need and we can sell the guy to other teams based on the fact that he has great 'upside'

hopefully we dump this guy for his upside and we were just trying to showcase the guy in the summer leagues..

i am sorry but the guy is yawner to me..

11. RocksMillenium

Some of you guys are impatient. Every rookie isn't going to make a huge impact his first year, and Langhi hasn't even had a chance to play. The Rockets are high on him, the guy has the tools, you just have to develop his confidence and let him mature. You don't just dump a 6-11 SF with guard skills off to the side because he had a rockie rookie season and he isn't flashy. Different players take different amount of time to develop, and it takes 3 years for a team to see what they really got in a player. I'm just wondering why people are in such a hurry to dump a player with that talent because he struggled in his <b>rookie</b> year!

12. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

This is exactly what I am talking about... <b>what "guard skills" do you see???</b>

Langhi can't get himself open, he is not a good game shooter, he can't guard the perimeter, and he can't put the ball on the floor against quick 2 guards.

He has no "guard skills". He belongs in Europe.

13. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

rocksmillennium..what i am saying is sell other teams on your concept and dump the guy for something better...

i just didnt see it with the guy and it is the same with collier..he doesnt seem like rocket material and i cant put a finger on it....i think langhi's trade value now is the highest it will EVER be.. I could be wrong that is just my gut feeling.. i say we take advantage of that now while we still can..

its not that he is white either because i liked bullards game..

14. RocksMillenium

The ones I saw at Vanderbilt, and the ones you will see in the NBA if you give the guy a chance. The Rockets also seem to think he has guard skills, he's going to play some minutes at 2-guard next year! Not a good game shooter, he hasn't had a CHANCE to shoot in game situations, the guy is still developing as a rookie! I don't know why there are people ready to dump the guy before they have truly seen him, but relax and give the guy a chance. He isn't making big money, so he isn't a hit against the cap, and the Rockets aren't going to be able to pick up another guard so why are you in such a hurry to dump him. You haven't seen him truly play yet, but he belongs in Europe!? Talk about overreacting!

15. haven

haven Member

Alright, I just made the same mistake I've called out others for doing.

Let me correct myself. Langhi is a different player from Bullard. he does have better ball skills. However, I think he'll fill about the same role as Bullard in that he figures to provide ranged offense off the bench and not too much else.

Langhi is good with the ball for someone who's 6'10... but he doesn't have "guard skills." He's too small to bang, and he doesn't have a frame that would allow significant bulking up. His shot probably isn't quite as good as Bullard's, to be honest.

His defense is bad. And lateral movement is hard to improve. What role can Langhi fill other than offense off the bench?

16. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

If Langhi sees minutes for the Rockets at shooting guard this year, I will never come back to this BBS.

First of all, Francis, Cat, and Moochie will eat up most of the minutes for the guards. Secondly, Terence is a MUCH better 2 guard prospect than Langhi.

I think Dan would be great for Real Madrid.

17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

If he was such a god at vanderbilt trade him to the Grizz he might find the game he lost before he came to H-town.

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

Dan Langhi may not be the next big thing like some of you all believe, but he's a solid player who can naildown the jumpshot.

See Pat Garrity of the Magic? Think 2 inches taller and you pretty much have Dan Langhi. That's the kind of niche I could see Dan filling on the Rockets....when there aren't others ahead of him on the depth chart to do such a thing.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Don't forget Walt Williams :D

20. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Flagrant One, what an intelligent post!! I'm a Vandy grad (and there are others on this board), so don't deride my school. I followed him closely and he beat out a hell of a lot of good players for SEC Player of the Year.

Let's give the guy a freakin' chance to mature as a player and succeed...you just might be surprised. :mad: :mad: