1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye, bye John Lopez

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan17wagner, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

An open letter to the fine people of the Houston Chronicle:

For the past 18 years, I have made it a goal to avoid sports cliches. As the copy editors among you know, I've had mixed results with that goal.

Hey, it is what it is.

Or, was.

But I feel the need to pull out one more cliche because it seems appropriate here.

If a trade doesn't hurt, then it probably wasn't a very good trade.

This trade I'm about to make hurts. It hurts a lot.

It hurts because of you, the fine beat writers, reporters, co-workers, support staff, copy editors and management team whose jobs, in part, have been to help me look good.

So look at it this way: Your job just got a little bit easier. OK, maybe it got a lot easier.

I am trading in my Chronicle press credential for an opportunity to become part owner of a sports and event enterprise that is unique, thrilling, challenging and hopefully someday will give me the same sense of accomplishment I've had for 18 years. Sometimes, you just know when an opportunity is right. It feels right. It looks right. It is right.

It hurts, sure, and this hurts a lot, too, because of the amazing loyalty and support that so many Chronicle readers have given me.

As you guys know, I always have said that I don't write for me. I don't write for you or any editor, senior manager or even the publisher.

I write for the readers.

That's it. It's been a simple philosophy. They've cursed me, sure. They've praised me. Always, they've read me and for that I could not be more thankful or humbled.

Now, perhaps, they'll travel like a rock star with me on the finest fleet of all-encompassing luxury coaches, complete with on-board hostesses, seven plasma screen TVs with DirectTV, food and drink and event packages that include the most difficult tickets to find -- and at less than a ticket broker's price! Along the way, maybe they'll enjoy Hannah Montana tickets and luxury tours, Aggies, Longhorns or UH tickets, LSU games and maybe even take in a few Messina Hof wine tours or trips to the Nutcracker Market or First Monday in Canton with me. In style.

Shameless plug? Yes, of course. But I get one parting shot, don't I?

I'll still be covering sports and doing the radio thing 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on 790 AM, so I'll still be around the games and people I respect and admire in the business.

People like you all.

People like Tony Wyllie, Kevin Cooper and the Texans PR staff. People like Jimmy Stanton with the Astros, Nelson Luis with the Rockets and their great staffs.

I'll still try to keep Drayton McLane and Tim Purpura honest. They can't get rid of me that easily. I need to straighten out Rick Adelman on a few things, so I'll be over at the Toyota Center a lot. And Gary Kubiak surely will miss my Mario Williams rants, but now they'll be on the radio.

I'll keep a professional relationship with the Chronicle via a weekly Football Friday Nights post-game high school football show on 790.

But I will miss the column. This is absolutely an opportunity that could not be passed, but the column was a part of me.

From the day I walked into the building at 801 Texas Ave in 1989 until I walk out in the coming days, the ride has been exhilarating and more fun than a San Antonio kid from simple means ever deserved to have.

I thank you sincerely and with every bit of my heart for helping me live a dream.

And I thank Houston for reading.

http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2007/08/_30.html

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Well, with him departing, maybe the Chronicle will finally be able to get one decent columnist. Nah, doubtful.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He sounds a bit full of himself.

4. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

beat it dork. you'd think the 4th largest city in the us would be able to attract some talent, but we'll see

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just think, if AM790 ever folds up we'll be rid of him for good.

Seriously though, I don't dislike Lopez as much as many here do. He isn't the worst; he isn't the best. Won't miss him at all. I will never forget his article on the "Big Unit" or his detailed coverage on the outing of a female tennis player at Wimbledon several years ago.

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Take Jose de Jesus Ortiz with you!

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

These sports columnists take themselves way too seriously. Do they realize that the only reason most people read their columms is because they're bored?

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Now I know exactly why his Chronicle columns read like they were written on a third graders Big Chief tablet. Unfortunately, we are a one daily newspaper town, but IMHO the Chronicle is better off without him.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Maybe Dick Justice is next.

10. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

So, what is this opportunity that he's going to be the owner of? Event tour packages? I don't get it.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Did you read his column this morning? I won't paste the whole thing here, but here is a link:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/08/youre_wrong_to.html

The title reads:

Astros should let Jennings know he's wanted in 2008

Yep...wanted by the Round Rock Express as a batting practice pitcher.

:D

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hopefully, the other John will follow. McClain, can you please stop with the Mario Williams bashing? that's all his show is about.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Good riddance, tard.

14. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I have never read anything by him that was worth reading.

including this.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

16. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Mario is the new Carr. Every team needs a whipping boy. Until Mario does something meaningful, he will get this kind of treatment.

Justice on the other hand just flip flops about everything. Today he says we sould keep Jennings, 2 months from now he will say it was the worst trade in Astros history.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i understand the criticism and so far it's been deserved, but McClain's who shtick seems to be just about dumping on Mario every chance he gets.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's awesome! :)

lopez kills me. if only we can get the radio show gone now. i hope he does well in life and in this new venture...but wow, he drives me bonkos as a sports columnist/talk show host.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Lopez was a beacon of mediocrity in a sea of absolute incompetence. Not that he couldn't be replaced by a good 9th grade intern, but Lopez wasn't the really bad one.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well said wes.

He's not the worst, but its all relative