1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Players Rockets could look to sign from CBA.

https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/02/16/6-players-houston-rockets-target-chinese-league/amp/2/

3-D wing Jamaal Franklin has been a favorite of mine for years. Could be very economical replacement for EGo next season.

Taller and longer than EGo, just not as thicc.

Better rebounder and passer too.

#981 D-rock, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Sorry, this is really bad use of data. He’s a 46.2% 3 point shooter in his NBA career, true, but that’s on 13 shots. Whereas he’s shot 34% on 1436 shots in the CBA. If he’s a 34% 3 point shooter in the Chinese League, what would he shoot today in the NBA?

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

In a 5 out system, his 3P% should be much better.

He plays like Harden in CBA, he shoots a ton of contested 3's.

Data in conjunction with watching tape may be more applicable.

And Raptors thought enough of him to give him a look this past summer. Ujiri is one of those GMs that I trust especially when it come to unearthing talent.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/jamaal-franklin-signs-deal-overseas/

#983 D-rock, Feb 16, 2020
    don grahamleone likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

.350 on his GLeague career (multiple seasons)
    .302 college career (multiple seasons)

He's not Troy Daniels with the feather-lite touch from deep!

No doubt he has talent, but Masai had a look at him over summer along with a bunch of other guys. Didn't end up selecting him for a final roster spot (nor dev contract). Has a long ways to go I imagine? Maybe we bring him in and have a look in summer league, but no way he's worth a roster spot right now!!

don grahamleone, foggy94 and RudyTBag like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's agree to disagree then. Neither Clemons, Tyson or Harty are playable in our current system.

Franklin may not be starter or even 6th man worthy but he is at least a system fit.

Franklin also adds a 3rd player who is threat to put up a triple double on any given night.

Another long athletic player who can handle ball when Harden doubled is a plus IMO.

And citing Franklin's college stats is silly, he is 28 and his game has obviously developed in last 7+ seasons.

35% 3P average in GLeague is not negative IMO. Many on CF touting Harty's crappier 3P shooting in GLeague for Pete's sake as proof that he can do so in NBA.

And Troy Daniel's may be a more natural 3ball shooter but he is an poorer fit due to his lacking in size, defense, rebounding, rim protecting, ball handling and passing.

Rockets need longer athletic 3-D disruptors who can also rebound and rim protect.

#985 D-rock, Feb 16, 2020
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Carroll continues to push for a buyout.

clutchdabear, malakas, Deuce and 9 others like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Can't believe ty Lawson went out like a drunk hippie!

Oj mayo was hooked on drugs too!
    Joakim Noah surprised me with the drugs as did Rashad lewis, zeebo, Glen big baby Davis!

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Would be perfect for us.

Hmm maybe Morey does have some intel on buyouts coming next week and that is why he hasn’t made any moves just yet...

9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Does he have anything left in the tank Nook?
    If he could give Tucker 10 minutes off, it would be useful.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

He could def be a rotation player for us, if not a starter over House Jr.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

C'mon... Franklin has been playing CBA - a powder puff league. There is a 0% chance that he deserves a minimum contract and roster spot over other buyout candidates. He is simply not a triple double threat on any given night in the NBA, he needs to get past summer league first.

If you want another guard who is a triple double threat, get one from a stronger league. With barely a modicum of research I present Lamar Patterson.
    I don't think Lamar Patterson should be on the Rockets roster, but he is a zillion times more worthy than Franklin.

And whether or not Tyson/ Harty/ Clemons are playable under the current system is quite irrelevant. Tilly is NOT paying for them to play somewhere else. They all have guaranteed contracts, they aren't being moved.

I agree that it would be worth bringing in guys to start developing them towards next season - but since that won't happen, we have 2 roster spots open, most likely only 1 will be filled (and then as late as possible, and quite possibly with a 10 day, then take 2 weeks off, then another 10 day).
    If we were serious about making an addition for the future, we would have claimed Jonah Bolden off waivers. He is the perfect "future C" for this small-ball style.

But the MO was probably given to wait until he cleared waivers, and then wait until the last possible second before offering a 10 day...
    We're about cash management. Sucks.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know and I don’t think anyone knows for sure what he has left in the tank. Carroll is confident he has some left but has been pushed aside for younger players.

I know the Rockets have been watching the situation but I don’t know what there overall level of interest is. He was one of a small group of players the Rockets were curious about after the deadline.

The Spurs have played him almost entirely at the 3 and the Rockets view him as a 4. So that could be part of it.

He is supposedly very motivated to be bought out and was pushing privately for a trade for some time.

clutchdabear, malakas, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree with you 100% on Bolden ... and Tilly's cheapness. 2 open spots plus Tyson's should go to players that can contribute now, I concur.

But need better project players than Harty and Clemons.

Franklin is just a proposed option, not even my top 5 preferred signee.

Jonah Bolden (after Suns 10 Day), Justin Anderson, Dragan Bender, Ryan Broekhoff, Tyler Johnson.

Of available players of course.

DeBeards and DrNuegebauer like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only thing that bothers me is that he is 33 years old and starting to lose his giddy yup.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...Carroll-says-he-just-didn-t-jell-15060977.php

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DMC is the classic 'fit' guy; and he dun fit in SA but should (?) here. Problem w/a buy-out is the 7 or so mil due NEXT season (+ mil+ b/o if cut in 3rd year of deal). I'd take him, yeppers. Rox might have to guarantee a big part of next year's MLE tho to get'r done.

17. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Would Carroll want to come here? He’s actually a player I’d like to have and not just out of wanting to add someone

clutchdabear and don grahamleone like this.
  18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

House is picking up slack for Tucker.

Actually tucker is covering bases for austin rivers and house makes 10 times the salary of rivers!

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I'd pass on carroll....I mean he might be better than thabo....maybe. I don't see him buying in to what we are trying to do. He would probably go to LA.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not mind Carroll, especially if still able to play at high level.

But I would like a couple of young development players that fit our new system too.