1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, but please do not sign Frazier when financially or on court fit it makes no sense.

Rockets have 2 developmental spots already in Harty and Clemons.

It is more strategic to dump those 2 and bring in 2 guys who can play now.

Then use the other 2 remaining open roster spots for 2 new young talent that fits our new system.

Bender (and even Bolden) makes too much sense IMO.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fake news JR.

Rockets signed Faried and Rivers last season.

Just because they signed their 2 ways does not mean they have not improved or tried to improve their active roster in preparation for postseason.

Do not confuse separate decisions for transactional reasons as exclusive to improving active roster.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I honestly do not know who they will or will not sign for that spot. It really comes down to their scouting at this point.

I do not think they are that high on Bolden or they would have claimed him off waivers so they could have multiple years of control.

Bender I doubt takes multiple years of team options..... and he just hasn't been very good.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I question D'Antoni giving anyone not a vet rotation minutes. See D House last year.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Wingspan listed at 7-7, rumored to be 8ft.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

A big concern of mine is why did Bruno Cabaclo go from 23.5 minutes a game last season to 8.7 minutes a game
    this season (22 games played in). Will D’Antoni pull the rip cord early on Bruno like he did in last P.O.’s with House/Faried?

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Caboclo’s minutes have dropped from 23.5 per game last season to 8.7 this season, partly due to injury and also because Memphis added to its frontcourt in the offseason with rookie Brandon Clarke and veteran Jae Crowder. That made minutes harder to come by. But at 24 years old, there’s no reason to think that his skills have eroded.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...-to-rockets-more-confident-in-playing-center/

I have linked this article in several threads on CF. The concern is legitimate but the reasons are not due to to Caboclo's play but MEM hefty financial investments in Jaren Jackson and Brandon Clarke.

yixiixiy, TheRedRanger and Nook like this.
  9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Has there been any news on DeMarre Carroll?

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Still a definition of a project. Don’t get me wrong I want Cabaclo.....I just don’t throw guaranteed fit with team as you do my friend. Bruno should fit the Capela role, which you call the Rockets old system. None the less I just need Bruno to give me 18 minutes. The first 10 minutes to set defensive tone and 8 minutes to slow an opponents run to start the 4th preferably .

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

To clarify, I mentioned Frazier because it's theoretically possible, and I don't want to make it seem like it's absolutely 100% that they add someone externally. But I'm definitely not expecting Frazier, because as you said, he appears to have lots of time left on his Two-Way. There's just no reason to act early on one of those, unless it's a House-like situation from a year ago where the player might have too much leverage on you if you wait, and Morey didn't even do it then. And 2020 Frazier is nowhere near 2019 House.

I think the smart money is on someone getting a 10-day, because 10 days from Wednesday the 19th is the 29th... which happens to be the deadline for buyout guys to get waived in order to be playoff eligible. So basically, buy a little more time to see the full market, and then try to get the best guy you can at that time.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I did not guarantee the fit per se, only stated that Bruno's skillset is "a" fit, so much better fit than Capela.

His role will be based on the new 5 out system so would not shoe horn him in as Clint replacement.

DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thanks Ben, this makes much more sense!!

Any news you can share on who Rockets were targeting innbuyout that we missed?

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

To this I agree with you.

It’s the Justin Anderson/Tyler Johnson I have a hard time seeing their fit. Johan Bolden as well.

We agree that we disagree. Keep up the passion D-rock.

The only time I see Justin Anderson register in spot up shooter category was with Philly in 17/18 I believe.
    He registered at about 35 NBA percentile......fallen of the grid this year and last year in spot ups.

D-rock likes this.
  15. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Houston can offer some 10 days contract before signing

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://houston.sportsmap.com/how-the-rockets-have-put-all-of-their-chips-in-on-micro-ball

Justin Anderson fit meets the eye test. Linebacker sized 3-D wing at 6'6 230 with long wingspan 7'0 and extends that length with crazy hops (43").

Aggressive rebounder and defensive disruptor with 3ball.

Justin Anderson checks all the boxes.

So does 6'10 Jonah Bolden (7'3 wingspan) who is a big but plays like a wing. Also a disruptor on defense in both perimeter and low post, passing, ball handling, rebounding and 3ball.

Both Anderson and Bolden can defend 1-5, just like Robert Covington.

Tyler Johnson does not fit wing need but provides fiery switch defense, playmaking, rebounding, rim protection and most of all instant offense off the bench in event that EGo continues to rehab, stays cold or reinjured himself.

Both Anderson and Johnson are freak athletes, posting max verts of over 42".

Rockets have 3 players on roster that are clearly NOT fits and it makes no sense why these players continue to be on the roster when it is obvious that they are unplayable.

These 3 players will be moved sooner or later, so why not sooner?

Morey has admitted that their system requires players that must be able to switch everything ornit doesnt work. So Rockets are returning to same defensive system that Bzdelik implemented last 2 seasons which Rockets then abandoned when they hired Elston Turner.

Neither Tyson, Harty or Clemons are capable of switching everything.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

They won’t get in D’Antoni’s rotation just like Clemons/ Harty/ Tyson

I give you the last word

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

What is the point of having ANY players on the roster that cannot be counted on to contribute?

It's not MDA prejudice against these players, its common sense. These players just do not have the necessary skillsets for our new offensive and defensive systems.

Anderson/Bolden/Broekhoff/Johnson/Bender do have some if not all the required skillsets but if not these particular players then find other players that they prefer that also fit.

Leaving 5 essentially empty roster spots on a championship contending team is irresponsible and wasteful.

Even leaving 3 unplayable players on roster for this long is frustrating.

Morey is way smarter than me so I'm sure he is aware and has contingencies in place. Inguess patience is not been my strong suit, I'm used to going all in once strategy and action required have been identified.

DeBeards likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Don’t ask a question when I say I give you the last word. Lol

1) We are dealing with staying under the luxury tax as a team. First and foremost because we are around 5th seed
    in the West. If we were 1st or 2nd seed our odds of winning the championship would be better.....thus attack the
    Harden/Westbrook championship window with greater velocity. But as is the odds are probably being bounced
    in the 1st or 2nd round. Avoid repeater tax even as we possibly defy the odds and win it all.

2) Like your electric meter, the team payroll salary keeps churning. End Gary Clark contract so his cost ends and
    no longer continues to add up. Capela, Westbrook or Harden gets suspended.....the calculators come out and
    people will say “oh my gosh, the Rockets just saved X-amount of dollars on their total team salary because said
    player missed some games.” Or Capela missed rebound incentive, thus missing his bonus which saves the Rockets
    X-amount on dollars. Every little bit counts. So when you have the Rockets dishing out on smaller fish, you may
    be preventing the Rockets from reeling in the greater fish. Which in this case may be a player like Harkless.
    Rockets may have to use total $5M or part of TPE to reel him in......then sign minimum player with leftovers.
    Nature of the beast.

And I’m not saying Tilman is cheap. I would do the same. Tilman is so cheap that the Rockets were around the 6th highest payroll in the NBA near the trading deadline (that’s not cheap). Now we are something
    like 8th highest payroll in the West.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Houston Rockets’ switching defense has made them more active in the passing lanes and could elevate them to a top 10 defense post-All-Star break.

https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/02/14/houston-rockets-small-ball-elevate-defense/

Sounds like they are describing Justin Anderson (6'6 230 7'0 wingspan 43" vert) and his sticky defense to me.

ilias, mikol13 and DeBeards like this.