1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying Drain Cleaner in IL? Need ID and Signature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

Can I still buy a lemon?

ID now needed for drain cleaner

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=575952

Originally Posted Online: Jan. 03, 2012, 7:54 pm
    Last Updated: Jan. 03, 2012, 8:14 pm
    Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
    By Anthony Watt, awatt@qconline.com

One of Illinois' new laws requires consumers to reach for their identification as well as their cash when they have a clogged drain.

The law that took effect Sunday requires a valid identification to buy products containing chemicals listed within the Federal Caustic Poison Act in concentrations that require the warning "causes severe burns" on the packaging. Targeted substances include hydrochloric and sulfuric acids.

Purchasers also must sign a log with their name and address.

"We're looking at Drano, Liquid-Plumr -- those are the big ones," Rep. Rich Morthland, R-Cordova, said.

The law was proposed after acid was used as a weapon to cause disfiguring injuries, according to the Illinois Senate Republicans' website. State Rep. Morthland said he heard committee testimony from victims of such attacks whose horrific injuries required multiple surgeries.

Rep. Morthland said among those testifying was Esperanza Medina, of Chicago, who had acid thrown in her face in 2008 and suffered burns over 25 percent of her body.

State Sen. Mike Jacobs, D-East Moline, and state Rep. Pat Verschoore, D-Milan, noted some chemicals on the list also can be used to make methamphetamine.

All three legislators said they did not like placing restrictions on residents or businesses, noting they believe most people use the products safely. They said they voted for the measure for the sake of public safety, either to minimize the potential of attacks or to make it harder for people to make meth.

Rep. Morthland said that the measure also got his vote because state groups representing retail merchants and the chemical industry got behind it. There will be an adjustment period, Rep. Morthland said, but people should be able to get used to it.

"If people use these products in a proper way, they won't have any problems," said Sen. Jacobs, who added the business community helped create the law. If the law proves to be overly burdensome, it can be changed, the legislators said.

Initial versions of the law were quite restrictive -- encompassing just about anything in the plumbing and cleaning aisles -- but the scope was narrowed, said Brad Babcook, director of legislative affairs for the Chemical Industry Council of Illinois.

The final version applies to items such as industrial-strength clog removers with substantial concentrations of lye or cleaning products containing hydrochloric acid that can clean chimneys, pavements and sidewalks, he said.

Butch Trevor, owner of Trevor True Value Hardware in Moline, said he had to figure out which products he offers are included in the law. Research let him build a partial list, he said. But he said he still had to spend hours taking a census of his other items.

"From my perspective, it's been a nightmare," he said.

Failure to comply is a business offense under to the law with fines up to $150 for the first violation, $500 for the second and $1,500 for the third and any subsequent violations within 12 months.

Mr. Trevor said people wanting to misuse the substances likely still will find a way to circumvent safeguards. He said he has heard some grumbling from customers, but there is not much choice right now.

"If they need a drain cleaned, they are going to buy the product," he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

What does the law cover?

-- Hydrochloric acid and any product with a free or chemically unneutralized version in a concentration of 10 percent or more.

-- Sulfuric acid and any product with a free or chemically unneutralized version in a concentration of 10 percent or more.

-- Nitric acid or any product with a free or chemically unneutralized version in a concentration of 5 percent or more.

-- Carbolic acid, also known as phenol, and any product with it in a concentration of 5 percent or more.

-- Oxalic acid and any product with a free or a chemically unneutralized version in a concentration of 10 percent or more.

-- Any salt of oxalic acid and any product with such salt in a concentration of 10 percent or more.

-- Acetic acid or any product with a free or chemically unneutralized version in a concentration of 20 percent or more.

-- Hypochlorous acid, either free or combined, and any product with the same in a concentration that will yield 10 percent or more by weight of available chlorine.

-- Potassium hydroxide and any product with a free or chemically unneutralized version, including caustic potash and vienna paste, in a concentration of 10 percent or more.

-- Sodium hydroxide and any product with a free or chemically unneutralized sodium hydroxide, including caustic soda and lye, in a concentration of 10 percent or more.

-- Silver nitrate, sometimes known as lunar caustic, and any product with silver nitrate in a concentration of 5 percent or more.

-- Ammonia water and any product with a free or chemically uncombined version, including ammonium hydroxide and “hartshorn,” in a concentration of 5 percent or more.

Source: U.S. Government Printing Office.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this insightful article depicting the passage of thoughtful legislation designed to protect our fellow citizens.

A very good example of the type of legislation this country needs from government.

I'm sure you join me in applauding the Illinois legislature.

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

OMG, forcing me to show my ID and sign my name?? This is such an infringement on my rights, I am OUTRAGED. I never ever have to do that when I buy something.

:rolleyes:

4. Hightop

Hightop Member

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I acknowledge the inherent ridiculousness of effectively banning children, teenagers or adults with out of date licenses from buying cleaning products.

But I concede that these chemicals are potentially dangerous if used improperly, and this is the best compromise against restricting or banning their sale outright; which would obviously be retail/economic suicide. Illinois/Chicago probably has some robust drug statistics that justify this extra tracking.

1 person likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

On the surface, this seems pretty silly. It reminds me a lot of how Sudafed and other drugs with pseudoephedrine are now behind the counter at pharmacies because of their use in meth labs. I'd be curious to know if that change has impacted meth production at all. If not, I suspect this will be similiarly annoying and useless. If it has, maybe it has merit.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It might help the investigation after the fact.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Legalize meth!

9. Major

Major Member

True - same question there. I'd be curious if it's had a positive impact on investigations or not.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is clearly Obama's fault so we should elect Ron Paul for Jesus.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

This is a stupid law. Another example of passing laws just to feel important. I cannot wait until I need to sign my name to fill my car up with gas.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Very important if people were hurt from it. You want to better society? Sign the dotted line and provide an ID. Simple as that. If you don't give a **** about what people could possibly do to you or your children, then don't sign the line and complain about how dumb the law is.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ironically enough we could get to a point where that would be both plausible and completely justified.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Note: the state decided to do this. The state. Not the federal government. Power to the states. So please don't complain about the "big bad central gov't" taking away our "personal liberties and freedoms".

1 person likes this.