1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a Rolex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Apr 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Man, that's a big assumption on so many levels (not to mention the irony of your statement, like DD said).

Everyone spends money on something nicer than necessary. Is every single item you buy strictly based on function? You can get a package of white t-shirts, 3 for $10, and strictly wear that in your free time but your probably don't.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

there was a watch thread on here in the last year or two that had a link to a online site that had the tag link watch i have had for about 4 years for about $400-500 less. i was a bit pissed when i saw that, but i bet that would be your best bet (pulling up that old thread)

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I don't like the taste of lima beans, but their existence is of no consequence to me. I don't spend any time of my day concerning myself with them, aside from typing this post. It's easy to see that caring about something is not a prerequisite for having an opinion about it.

As for judging someone by what they buy, I'm sure I do. Just like everyone on this planet judges people by many other aspects of their life that aren't a direct representation of what kind of person they are. I formulate an opinion because someone buys a ridiculously expensive watch, and someone else formulates an opinion because someone styles their hair in a mohawk. Whether it's consciously or subconsciously, everyone does it, including you.

But regardless of any preconceived notions about people who spend big on watches, there is an entire thread full of replies that pretty much support what I said. The watch is about gaining respect and admiration. Some people say they just want it for themselves because it makes them feel good, but the reason it makes them feel good is because, whether they'll admit it or not, they love the way other people look at them when they wear it. I seriously doubt that those same people would be "doing it because it makes me feel good" if everyone they passed on the street thought the watch was ugly. It's impossible to prove this, but it's also impossible to disprove it, so let's move along.

As for yachts, huge houses, and expensive cars, or indoor movie theaters, I have no preconceived notions about people who own (or lease, or rent) them. In fact, I can say that if I had the money I would most definitely own all of those things. You know why? Because those things actually have functionality well above and beyond the ordinary. No one will ever convince me that a watch is in that same category. It's easy to find a very nice looking watch for much less than what's being tossed around in this thread, and if people want to boast about craftsmanship and quality, then I challenge them to a contest. They get to buy one $9,000 watch and I get to buy 90 $100 watches. Then we see whose lasts longer, and who is out $9,000 when one of them is lost, broken, or stolen.

Funny thing is that I just watched American Psycho again last night and then this thread gets bumped. I swear it reminds me of that scene when they're all comparing their business cards...

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CCR,

But you are failing to acknowledge that 9k is not the same for everyone.

I had a good friend of mine who made 27 million at the age of 23.......

And he bought all kinds of toys and fancy stuff etc...and I was like....wtf dude.....and he basically said he made so much money on interest that he had fun spending it....

So, who am I to question it...it is his money......have fun.....

Some people have more money than others.....it is why playing internet poker is such a risk....if you sit down at a $500 cash game, and go all in with trips...you are expecting others to fold, but someone may be a millionaire and willing to chase for $500 and if he gets lucky, you lose it all...and $500 to you may be like $5 to someone else.

Money is not the same.....

DD

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm well aware of the subjective value of a dollar, but that doesn't change the principle that I think it's silly to spend that much money on something that doesn't offer a significant increase in functionality over the norm (like a yacht, mansion, or expensive car does). I understand that their are plenty of rich people who would go out and buy $10,000 bars of soap just because they can, but I certainly wouldn't. Lever 2000 works just fine for me.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

quit hatin on the money

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

if you're rocking a $9000 watch but sleep in a 600 square foot apt, you are a dumbass.

if you've got a $9000 watch, drive a lamborghini, and $2 million home, and still have 6 plus figures in the bank, then shiet, you tha man.

8. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i'd need 7 figures in the bank before i drive a lambo and make payments/tax on a 2 mil house.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

At least nice watches retain their value compared to so many other things that you can purchase.

I love watches personally. Hell women have purses and other nice things to have...what do we have as men. Watches, cars, and maybe a couple other things.

People who really buy nice watches tend to actually be a connoisseur of watches and know so many things about it.

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I agree. I have a Rolex for many reasons - one of which being it is the only acceptable piece of jewelry that a man can own and wear.

Plus it maintains (if not appreciates) in value.

Plus I have the cash to blow on a Rolex. So why not?

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

+1

If you only have 6 figures in the bank and drive a quarter mil car... you ain't quite the ****.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Like someone else said, do you have only white t-shirts in your closet? What about Rockets t-shirt or jersey? Those Rockets shirts don't give any other true functionality over a normal t-shirt. But you wear it because it says something about yourself that you would like others to know... you're a proud Rockets fan. For some people paying $100 for a jersey is stupid.

13. lastmanstanding

At the end of the day, all it does is tell time. So I guess people into status would buy it but for $9000, it better make me breakfast too.

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

But in the same token you can say jeans, shirts, belts, shoes, etc they all serve a purpose of clothing us. But why do some people spend more on name brand? If no one cared we would all shop at walmart of something (not that theirs anything wrong with that) everyone has their own taste.

Some people like to put money into things that they enjoy. You might spend your money somewhere that other people would not agree with.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

All my excess spending money goes toward Rockets tickets/shirts/jerseys. All other clothes, shoes, purses, sunglasses, and undergarments are from Wal-Mart... :cool:

No one notices though. When I was at Baylor this one chick with a Coach purse asked me if my purse was "Le Sports Sac." I proudly said no, it's a Le Walmart purse, 4 bucks on clearance! She said "oh..." and quickly averted her gaze.

I'm extremely thrifty and honestly would still be thrifty if I was a millionaire. Which I plan on being when I retire, BECAUSE I'm thrifty. :p

16. kupogrey

kupogrey Member

one day, when i can afford it, il buy myself a nice breitling and pass it down to my oldest son.

thats when its not gonna hurt my expenses. ;)

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

This thread makes me want to be rich, sooo bad.

But before I get really rich, I stick to my cellphone to tell me what time it is.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

oops, yea....7 figures sounds much better. :eek: