1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a Rolex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Apr 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Until you're important enough for it not to matter anymore.

It's not nearly as important as many make it out to be.

I don't begrudge any of you spending your money on a watch you want....it's the reasoning many of you are giving (impressing other men and waitstaff) that makes me want to point and laugh and fall over from laughing and vomit from laughing so hard and then get that strange look that comes over you when you realized you vomited a little bit in your mouth and now you don't know what to do with it.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

some bosses like their employees to spend. the reasoning behind this is the more money they need the more important their job is to them. not having that house extension, new car, boat, or whatever new item each month = canned.

3. MadMax

ok :)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love my Rolex, I think it looks nice.....

I could care less about the other stuff, but in truth, it is like a nice car, some people care about that others, couldn't give 2 craps.

DD

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I really really want to buy my wife an Omega Speedmaster for her graduation in two weeks. Anyone know the best place to get a deal on a watch?

6. MadMax

plus, you might get fired if you don't have one! ;) :D

7. Asian Sensation

And some bosses look down on their employees who drive to work in a car more expensive than theirs. So what gives???

8. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I think people greatly overestimate service peoples' ability to tell a Rolex from other nice, but less expensive, watches. A lot of these people can't make out the distinctions between watches, they just go by whether or not a watch looks expensive.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I understand your viewpoint, but I tend to be old school in regards to gaining respect. I feel you gain respect by being nice, friendly, kind, respectful and greeting people with a smile.

9 out of 10 times the other person will respond likewise. This can even be done on the superficial level when you interact with these people on a one time only basis. All these things don't cost a dime.

I sometimes see customers interact with common folks who work service jobs and they treat the service workers (like waiters and bank tellers) really bad in my opinion. Thus I can see the result of the service worker being a jackass back to the customer.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If a waiter sees your Rolex, is duly impressed with your net worth and stepsandfetches for you in short order, how much do you tip?

A stripper sees your Rolex. She's been doing 2 for 1 double dances with her blonde girlfriend all night; do you get one?

Your boss has been told to cut staff. You and Bob are about equal employee's; he's got a young family, you wear a Rolex; who's sending out resume's?

Two drunks get ready to leave a bar one is wearing his Rolex and one is wearing his Timex. Big Vito is sitting by the door looking for a mark; who gets robbed?

The Cops pull you over for a faulty tailight bulb. Your Rolex is on your left wrist as you rest your elbow on the window sill. You don't have a 100 club sticker; do you get a ticket?

A drama queen and the sweetest girl in world are at a party. You're doing your card tricks with your sleeves rolled up to show off your Rolex. Which girl gives you a napkin with her number on it?

You're at Lakewood dressed for TV. Joel sees your Rolex. Who gets hit up for a donation to the building fund on Monday?

How do you spell love? ....M-O-N-E-Y

-Kim Wilson-

11. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Now this is a nice watch!!! In my opinion, this is the nicest Rolex that I have ever seen. I know someone who bought this recently.

Rolex GMT-Master II

[​IMG]

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It doesn't matter to me how other people spend their money, so it shouldn't matter to them that for the most part I think they're walking mega-egos that would have absolutely no sense of worth if a price tag didn't spell it out for them. And they're so used to buying people's respect and admiration, that they probably wouldn't have any idea how to actually earn it.

13. DaDakota

You're just jealous.

;)

And aren't you judging someone by a choice they made for a wrist watch? I mean you figured out that they don't know how to earn respect because they want a nice watch to wear?

That makes no sense at all, I think you are making a blanket judgement and really have no clue as to why some people enjoy fine watches, or cars, or boats, or houses, or indoor movie theaters...or whatever a particular person is into.

Why start off by saying you don't care, then go on to prove otherwise?

:D

DD

14. MadMax

i bought a new casio this morning. loving it so far. it set me back $30, but i'll just skip a lunch here and there to make up for it.

[​IMG]

15. DaDakota

That is a pretty cool looking watch....only $30......hmmmmm????

I have about 30 watches, sort of collect em.....my wife says I am nuts...but then I open her closet and point out the Imelda Marcos of purses....

:D

DD

16. danny317

danny317 Member

ive given up wearing watches. everything has a clock built into it these days. also, you can always find a clock where ever you go.

17. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Don't cell phones and laptops tell time? Watches are so 80s.

18. DaDakota

I loved the 80's.....Good times...good times.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FKIs_6qc4cQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FKIs_6qc4cQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

By the way, the girl in this video is Dennis Miller's wife of some 20 years.

DD

#78 DaDakota, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  19. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I am thinking about getting this watch when it comes out in September.

[​IMG]

20. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

You must work at Wal-Mart