1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a Rolex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Apr 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Do some of you realize that $10000 to some people is absolutely nothing?

I've been itching to get a new watch lately. I have a few Rados, Movados, and Raymond Weil, but really want an Omega.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's a difference of values...what we each value. I have no interest in buying a watch to earn respect from waiters. I would far prefer my funds go elsewhere.

3. R0ckets03

I work in downtown. I own and manage a chain of 8 coffee shops. 95% of the time I am in jeans and a black polo shirt (not tucked in). This is our "uniform". I just buy the shirt from Old Navy for $5.00 cause I manage to screw it up in less then a month.

I know the janitors, security guards, people that work in the building, property managers, CEO of big firms, etc. People that know me will obviously smile at me if they see me walking around somewhere. Others will too.

Once in a while I'll have a meeting with someone where I have to get dressed up. I love clothes so it is usually a high end suit and nice shoes and watch. You won't believe how much nicer everybody gets. Especially random people that don't even know me. And none of these people are trying to sell me anything.

That's how the world goes buddy. I don't wear expensive stuff to show off. I wear it because I like it and as Dakota said, some people appreciate the finer things in life.

4. R0ckets03

Of course.

Buy it because it makes you happy. If you are buying it to show off to others then you are pretty messed up in the head.

Then again, to each their own. Its their money.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Why do they like to spend more than what is necessary to accomplish the function?

I care because we are a ridiculous nation of immediate gratification that spends more than our share of the world's energy budget, spends more than we produce. financed by debt, to acheive an inflated sense of ourselves.
    We are bomdarded every minute of every day with propaganda imploring us to spend more for things we don't need. And it is going to end badly because we are so short sighted.

Live comfortably, live well; but don't be stupid.
    Try to see through the hype and bulls***t and make good value judgements.

#45 Dubious, May 3, 2008
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
  6. R0ckets03

ummm...you don't think europeans, south americans, indians, chinese buy nice watches?

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't need to wear nice watches nor any other kinds of jewelry to have respect. I get respect because I'm a blonde female, 5'11, 125 lbs, with a pair of D's. Most guys find me to be one of the finer things in life.

8. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

If you are looking for an Omega, you might want to look at this model. It looks better in person than it does on the picture.

[​IMG]

9. R0ckets03

I've been looking at that one. I really shouldn't, but once I get that itchy feeling....

Dubious, I have absolutely no cc debt. Do I have your permission to buy it? :p

10. no_answer

no_answer Member

Girls love guys with expensive watches. :cool:

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

So do strippers at Treasure's and the Men's Club... that's why i always have my rolie on when i frequent those places...

12. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I think of my Rolex as such - "its the only acceptable form of jewelry that a man can wear"... so why not spend a little more... plus it holds its value - so no loss...

13. Asian Sensation

That looks like a $50.00 watch tops and something that a kid in 8th grade would wear.

14. tulexan

tulexan Member

If you want to be a real baller, you have to go with the Patek Philippe.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I hope you are joking.

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You must have been as weird in 8th grade as you are now.
    In 8th grade I wore something like this.

[​IMG]

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

My dad has a Rolex...he was a businessman. Dressing finely and all the other "superficial" stuff are very important in the business world.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

there was a funny bit of news several years when a visiting chinese businessman made a trip to a brothel in melbourne, australia he had his watch stolen. unfortunately for the prostitute the patek phillipe watch she stole was worth $1 million and the dealer reported her.

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I work in the diamond industry and I see some pretty spiffy watches. It's as much a part of their flash as Keith Richards' headband and clothes are for him. It's part of the uniform. But I work as a journalist...if I showed up wearing a watch that costs me half a year's pay someone is going to think I take bribes.

But at the same time, I think a general rule I've noticed is that the wealthier people are, the less they tend to spend conspicuously. My boss is a millionaire and only drives used compact Japanese cars, for example. He always says the easiest way to become rich is not to spend your money.

That being said, if someone wants to postpone a Rolex purchase to help me finance my last year of grad studies I can promise them a return with interest, because I'm in financial hell right now. :D