1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a Rolex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Apr 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Exactly. Unless you're mortgaging your future on it, why do people care that someone else spends that much on a watch. Just because it's too much for you?
    A $9k watch would be like getting a $100 dinner to someone who makes a mil a year or so.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I would buy $9000 watches. Because it would mean I have so much money I can't find anything better to do with 9k.

Luxury is a relative term. For people who can barely make ends meet, they might even feel that having a computer and DSL internet to be an unnecessary extravagance.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I did the exact thing you suggested last year. I love it and it looks amazing. I chose the Planet Ocean 45mm with black rubber strap.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah if you make 10K a year

5. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Eta is a Swiss company (owned by Swatch) that makes watch movements. Most of your medium to high-end (but not super high-end) Swiss watch manufacturers like Omega and Tag Heur use their movements, however, some of these companies modify or customize the movements with their own enhancements.

Rolex, as far as I know, makes their own movements. So, Rolex watches are expensive but, at the same time, you are truly getting a unique Swiss-crafted watch. If you get an Omega or Tag Heur you are getting a great watch but the guts are massed produced by Eta and then possibly customized by the watch maker. Nothing wrong with that as Tags and Omegas are great watches and Eta makes a great movement but it's not like the company totally crafts its own product from scratch.

From Wikipedia:

"Mechanical ETA movements are commonly used in many "mid-range" brands such as Accutron, Bulova, Hamilton, Mido, Oris, TAG Heuer, Tissot and Certina, and also in many "high-end" watch brands such as Breitling, IWC, Longines, Fortis, Officine Panerai, Omega, Porsche Design, Rado , certainly among others. ETA's Quartz Movement lines are used in both "high-end" quartz brands as well as more affordable brands, such as Calvin Klein, flik-flak, Swatch and Swiss Army among others. At the very least, the ETA movements usually carry the watch brands' name on the automatic rotor or otherwise on the bottom plate if the watch is a manual-wind movement. The more prestigious brands such as Omega and IWC, undertake significant modifications of the basic ETA movement. The numerous modifications and the great care taken, completely transform the original, mass-produced movement by ETA into something new. [4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA

6. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Congratulations. I really think it's a beautiful watch.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

a rubber-strap omega would be sweet.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You get treated differently when you where a nice watch regardless of clothes you have on. The only universally known upscale watch is a Rolex. All the other watches maybe nice but they don't get the same reaction from people.

I have a Omega Seamaster, Gold Raymond Weil, and very good fake Rolex with near flawless movement I bought in Thailand 7 years ago. I get treated better when I wear the Fauxlex. Unfortunately, that is how the world works.

9. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

My boss ended up buying the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean with the Stainless Steel band. Not quite a Rolex, but a nice watch nevertheless. Personally, I think this looks a lot sweeter than any Rolex.

[​IMG]

10. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

I think you can take out "may" and substitute "are"

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I bought a Rolex from Fiesta last year and it's still in a great working condition!

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't need a watch I have a cellphone.

I damn sure don't need a watch to impress a girl, my dress game is jsut fine without a watch.

So this is how I feel about watches

Watch <<<,

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What do you mean they treat you differently? Like do "they" call you "kind sir" and "gentleman" instead of "dude"?

And who is "they"?

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Store personnel, car dealers, restaurants, flight attendants, hotels, and people in business settings; almost anyone that I deal with on a superficial level. They are more respectful, more likely to help you when you have an issue, less likely to give you lip service, and are more attentive your needs versus other people. Its is subtle but it definitely happens.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

100% true, people ...especially SALES people recognize a good quality watch, and you get better service.

DD

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because they figure you are a tiny dick loser that will overspend on frivolous items to compensate and that can take you for some ridiculous profit that they will use to feed and house their family.

17. DaDakota

Or, they figure you can appreciate the finer things in life and actually have enough money to afford them.

I like my view better.

:D

DD

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To each his own...my brother loves watches and has a Rolex among others. I personally find it a colossal waste of money that I don't care a bit about.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Nobody gives repect for what you have, only what they can make off of you by pandering to your ego.

What does a Rolex do that a Swatch won't, dive to 200' much?

What will an M5 do that an Accord won't besides make you a target for radar cops?

How much better is a $500 bottle of wine than a $15 bottle if you had on a blindfold?

How much more comfortable and utilitarian is a 10,000 sq. ft. house than a 4,000?

EGO,EGO, EGO We all have it one but we need to learn to tone it down from the ridiculous. Flaunting wealth is crass and makes you a target for theives.

#39 Dubious, May 3, 2008
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
  20. DaDakota

Also, the Rolex will hold it's value, you can take it to a jeweler and still get your money for it, at just about any time.

It is more than a watch it is an investment.

Some people like fancy cars, some like fine wines, some like fancy watches.

Heck, some like fancy computers....everyone has an itch they like to scratch.

Dubious, why do you care what people do with their own hard earned money?

Be a playa, not a playa hata !

;)

DD