1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a car for your kids 16th birthday?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The problem with that is the parents may not want their kids learning to drive on their car. I don't want my soon to be 16 or 18 year old taking out the TSX and the certainly aren't taking out the wife's Ghetto Cruiser (Platinum ESV w/lots of bling). My friend's son asked him what car he was going to learn to drive on. At the time he only had the H1 Alpha and an Audi A6S (I think this is the model though they have since traded it for the Audi with the Lambo V10). Smart son because he knew his dad didn't want him drving either. He bought a Corolla the next week and gave it to his son.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

nevermind.

If making jokes like that is ok around here, I have to rethink posting here any more.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Honestly?

You would stop posting here because somebody mentioned what their racist / senile stepdad says when he goes car-shopping?

Wow.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

Why did you pick such magical number? Does the "DRIVING: ENABLED" switch magically turn to ON at the time of the kid's 21st birthday right on the dot? :p

I don't put an age on anything. When a person is mature enough to do something, they should be able to do it, whether it's peeling potatoes, chewing gum, or driving. Please EXPLAIN your rationale, sir.

5. Fatty FatBastard

Honestly?

You haven't seen how sensitive this board has become with anything remotely offensive?

Wow.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So it's O.K. if we stereotype gays, blacks, hispanics, jews, etc. and introduce those stereotypes in our everyday conversations?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I got a car when I was 16. My father had gotten one when he got his license, but he promised his father he'd do the same for his own kids. So, now I'm on the hook to do the same for my kids.

I got a 1974 Porsche 914. It was old and had plenty of problems, but it was an awesome car nevertheless.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow, I guess you haven't been in a comedy club in the past 2 decades.

Stereotypes are hilarious.

The righteous indignation from the PC police is equally hilarious.

I wouldn't make jokes like that on this board, because I'm into crude humor and I understand that some people find it to be offense and I understand that.

But the overreaction here is puzzling.

My wife's stepdad is a crazy person, I'm not joking... he is at least borderline mentally insane.

We joke around about the stupid things he says, but its not for everyone.

Some people here are acting like she purposely went out of her way to offend Jewish people. If anything she was just sharing a memory of her childhood which includes being raised by a crazy person.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My grand father matched me dollar for dollar on my first car. I appreciated it a lot more than if he had just given it to me.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then that person and her husband blow it off as something that is funny.

Finish the story.

Why can't she tell the story without the insult? My grandmother was a fairly racist person. You know what? I don't think the things she said were funny, cute, or worth in any way mentioning to other people.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ SHE MEANT "CHEW", man! Why are you so bitter? :(
    :eek: Fixed.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I never realized how Jew was so taboo around this forum.

Hispanic?

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Are you suggesting theres a double standard in regard to some things?

Shocking.

leroy420 - I find stereotypes to be funny you don't.

To each their own.

14. rage

rage Member

I agree that the lesson should have been taught a long time ago.
    Yet for many, the lesson has to be taught over and over.

You may have learned that lesson, but you still fail the lesson about judging if other people are cheap or not. You don't know that until you walk in their shoes.

For me, getting a car for your kid depends on many things, needs, maturity, affordability.

There is also a difference betwen boys and girls here too. I am not comfortable with getting my daughter a clunker for fear of her getting a break down on a road somewhere unsafe.

Yet, I don't mind the boy to have a clunker just so he concentrates on things other than the car.

15. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Hey! Jew don't know me!

3 people like this.
  16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No kid should have a car before they are 18!

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Lol, repped.

18. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I plan to get my kids a safe, reliable and nice car. Something that no one will ridicule them about, but nothing that will hurt my pocket too much if they get in an accident. If the car they want is reasonable, I'm all for it. I sure as hell won't be getting them any luxury cars or anything as their first rides.

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

We have a 9 year old (she will be 10 in February) and this has already come up. I was pretty adamant (sp?) that she doesn't get a brand new vehicle but I'm thinking that she will probably get a somewhat nice vehicle that is 3 or 4 years old (like an SUV like a 4Runner or Pathfinder). That is a long way from what I got which was nothing; however, I did get to drive to school not soon after turning 16. What I drove was a 1980 Datsun 510 - a 10 year old car.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm going to have to ban my kids from this site. I hadn't even considered buying them a car :eek: If they're thinking a used car is 'tough love' my kiddies are in for a rude awakening....

I think I may have to play up the environmental anti-car culture angle.