1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a car for your kids 16th birthday?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Nov 22, 2009.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

sorry if i offended. i would never use the term except when referring to my dad, because it's his favorite thing to say: "you always gotta jew 'em down, always." joking about my dad's racism so much over the years has nearly taken away the offensiveness in my mind. but yes, it's an awful thing to say, and i'm sorry. meant no harm.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even I was a taken a bit a back by you using it, finals.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, I was shocked myself. Oh well, it happens sometimes and she apologized for it.

4. aghast

aghast Member

Generally, I like your idea of giving the child a jalopy and having her work to improve it. But if the 16 year old is indeed responsible, and the parents can afford it, why not give her the car desired? If the parents can't afford it, that is indeed an entirely different issue.

Because of this ethno-religious insensitivity, I refuse to have any moral qualms over today's lunch.

Sacre-, and cordon, bleu:

[​IMG]
    And yes, it was semi-fast food.

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

My parents bought all of their kids a car. They weren't nice though.

Sister got an 82 oldsmobile omega.
    Brother got a 76 chevy scottsdale.
    I got an 85 chevy celebrity.

I totally agree with the buy them a car that works. I happen to fall in love with mine and still have it. (I think I got it in 2003, and it only had 30K miles on it.) It runs great, and it is now my show car.

6. Yak

Yak Member

My friend's parents bought him an '04 Mustang from an auction that needed a ton of fixing to even get it rolling.

They bought him the parts he needed to fix it and he had to learn how to put it all together to drive it.

Pretty good approach

7. theimpossibles1

As a young driver (22) speaking from experience, two factors should matter, and for the same reason. The two factors are safety and price. My older brother, younger brother, and I all got into minor wrecks within our first year of driving, and that is to be expected. If you have the money, do with it what you wish. If not, think of any vehicle you purchase for a 16yr old as a SHORT term investment.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

My first car was a 1982 (14 years old) VW Rabbit that my dad and stepmother traded a washer and dryer for. The color was primer and the interior was orange and it didn't even run. My dad and I had to work on that POS just to get it to work. I got my second car as a graduation present, a 1991 (7 years old) Honda Accord Coupe with 100K miles.

My nephew just turned 16 and got a 2 year old Ford F150 and got the sound system upgraded as part of the gift.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

A lot of sensitive jews around here.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Seriously? You think you're funny?

Why not drop a "lots of Kaffirs around here" during the next heated race discussion? Or maybe something derogatory about the Chinese in the GARM, that's so hilarious, too.

Half my family is jewish...I'm not...and I while I found finalsbound's comment to be shocking, she apologized for her stupidity.

You're just being a moron.

11. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

finalsbound said it...apologized....awesome young lady....now carry on.

I got my daughter a car and wish I had bought her an older model cash car but then I'd worry about her safety. My son is saving for his now. He has 2k and we are matching his savings when he's ready to buy.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

You're such a jew.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The moral outage in this thread is hilarious.

Jews are awesome.

I wish I was a Jew.

I would totally sue the hell out of all of you and then write a screenplay about it while I do my taxes.

14. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

when i was back in highschool, my parents used the If you get a XXXX on the SAT's then we'll get you a car line..I think thats perfectly ok, i would probably do that to my future kids.

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Your nieces' family is why America is having an economic recession. Living beyond their financial means, constantly living on credit - that's the American way baby!

16. AkeemTheDreem86

What the hell?

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Your parents bought your first car for you?

Lucky bastards.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

No, its the reason why America will get out of the economic recession. We will soon have people living further beyond their financial means, living on even more credit and stimulating the economy to the stratosphere!

19. AkeemTheDreem86

You're dad's a racist. You shouldn't joke about him being a racist, you should feel great shame for it.

20. AkeemTheDreem86

*Your