1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Butler only wants trade to Clips, Nets, or Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacman, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If this is true, we don't have a chance at Butler, the price is too high.

We simply can't compete with a package that consists of both Knox and Ntilikina if both are being offered.

Deuce likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would make zero sense for Miami. He's their best players, he's just turned 25, and he's locked up on a fantastic deal for the next 3 years.

I might even prefer to have Josh Richardson over Butler for this team, considering he will be making less than a 3rd of what Butler gets next offseason.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Denzel Valentine as a 3&D? His salary fits into our T&E right now. Throw the Bulls rights to Edwards or an overseas stash.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wouldn't this contradict what the Knicks' front office said prior to Jimmy's meeting, that they're not going to mortgage their future (players/assets) for a player they can sign outright later on?

I think it'll be either or and they're going to use Kanter's massive expiring contract to fill in the salary gap.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Richardson is probably the best player/contract the Heat have, which doesn't say much since the roster is mediocre but, yeah, if there's one player they will not move in a trade where they are the third team, that's Richardson.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's a good catch with DV fitting into the TE. I don't know much about him or if the Bulls have any inclination to move him.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Codman said the Knicks have everything on the table open except KP. So what they are saying publicly and what is going on privately is a 180.

jch1911 and steddinotayto like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They wouldn't really have to use Kanter though. They could package Lance Thomas (NG next season) and Mudiay to makeup for salary.

Honestly, Lee + Knox & Ntilikina sounds like a good package for both teams. It helps the Knicks clear cap for next season and Minny gets a solid vet SG to fill the gap for Butler.

9. steddinotayto

I agree; that's a nice package. If that was the package and Thibs turns it down he deserves to be fired.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I think so, but at least those are short term problems.

Missing out of Paul George showed arrogance, as they just assumed he would sign as a free agent after OKC had a full season to recruit him.

Missing out on Kawhi Leonard is just unacceptable. Leonard is one of the 5 best players in the world, is possibly the best defensive player in the world, can play 3 different positions, can fit in just about any system and is only 27 years old. There is absolutely no excuse for not teaming him with LeBron James.

Theoretically the Lakers could have James/Leonard/Butler with role players around them.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

What can Charlotte possibly offer that's worth taking? Kemba Walker and MKG? Malik Monk and MKG?

12. Nook

Nook Member

There is absolutely no way that the Knicks offer Knox and Ntilikina to the Wolves. The Knicks aren't even going to offer one of them for Butler.

Ntilikina is on the verge of being one of the top defensive players in the league, and will likely become a 15 point a game scorer. Knox is 19 years old and is loved by the organization.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Much like the Paul George trade and the Kawhi trade, wherever Butler goes, we are probably going to be surprised, yet again, at the small price that is paid to get Butler.

clutchdabear, jch1911 and J.R. like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i wonder how similar the haul will be to when chicago traded him to minny for lavine, dunn, and what turned out to be lauri.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's a pretty silly statement to make so confidently. Butler has said openly he would re-sign with the Knicks, I agree that they should hold out on Knox (that's what I expected, but Cod is saying otherwise) but if they can make a deal based around Frank + expirings (or Lee) then they should absolutely go for it. It's not like there aren't going to be other teams offering decent assets for Butler, and if the Clips or Nets get their hands on him he's gone to the Knicks.

Also, Irving is from NYK. If the Knicks can land Butler in a trade, it would present a golden opportunity for them to create a super team with Irving/Butler/Porzignis, sure compared to the GS it's not much but out east that would be a contender for the finals (especially since it dismantles the Celtics).

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cod, when you mention Washington, Charlotte, Chi and Miami, I'm guessing you're referring to the Rockets and potential trades and not Butler (given he was with the Bulls already)?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@cyberx What are you hearing from your Lakers contacts about Butler?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Why should the Knicks give up a 20 year old that has grown several inches and has all the makings of an elite defender? Not to mention that he makes only $4,000,000 a year?

Why would the Knicks trade a 19 year old that they are very high on, that they feel can be a franchise type player? Not to mention he only makes $3,500,000?

Both those players are under contract for 3 and 4 years at a very low salary.

You really think that the Knicks would deal either of them for a 29 year old, that has averaged 37 minutes a game, the last 5 years AND lose most of their cap space by signing him to his maximum contract?

I suppose it is possible, but I think it is very unlikely, especially with Fizdale.

19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

1. Because they are the Knicks

2. Yes, I do, per answer to #1

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would love that