1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

But they didn't have Peyton

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Am I right?

1. Yes - the tale of two halves (0 2nd half points)

30 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. No - Peyton would have been shaking in his boots

88 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. msn

msn Member

I don't know what's worse on this page. All the hand-wringing and whining about a team that just won by 27 points. Or the guy who continues to say "would of".

It's "would have". Or "would've".

English. That's what's up.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

"cop out"???

The Texans clearly changed game plans in the 2nd half...if you watched the game, you would have seen that. Not sure why you think people are making excuses for the team not scoring.

These conversations regarding the Texans as being a one half wonder are so insanely r****ded given the circumstances of the season so far.

Im fearing the day we barely beat a team we are supposed to beat. This message board is going to explode because we put up 17 points in one half and then only follow it up with 7 in the other half. Its as if every good team scores an equal amount of points in both halves, always.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'd rather score 34 points in the first half and 0 in the second than have the scores split 17 and 17 between the halves (for the sake of "offensive balance":rolleyes:) you roll up 34 points and shut out the opponent, then they've likely have given up by then because you tore their heart out and shoved it down their throats.

i'll take a cumulative 34 points/game every sunday. it doesn't matter how we get it, but getting it by halftime you demoralize your opponent.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If you want to see the Texans score more in the 2nd half, tell Kubiak to use last years' 1st half play-calling..... Folks crying about us "gettin off the gas", dont know football and sportsmanship...If we had beaten them 55-7, Kubiak would have taking a media beating(warranted,yes)..... The Manning talk would have been hysterical.. But since we live in a world of fantasy football and such, people wanna go for blood... Like macalu implied " I'd rather this 1st half explosion than last years 2nd half come from behind explosion"

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Not exactly, but 1940.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Matt Schaub said they kept the same gameplan in the 3rd quarter. So either he's admitting the entire offense slacked off when the coaches didn't want them to, or the Texans actually played the 3rd quarter but simply didn't score.

TBH, I prefer the latter.

I guess you don't. And I can see why, since it would require that you actually read the post I responded to, and the post he responded to, etc.

But it's okay. I know you probably just like to respond to random posts just for the sake of ranting. You know, you could still rant without quoting someone though. Just food for thought.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Cohete, they asked Kubiak about taking his foot off the gas and he actually laughed. "We didn't." It's easy to look at strictly the results and draw a conclusion - but you're ignoring what actually happened in the second half:

Their first drive stalled. No shame in that. They're not perfect. Next drive, they march to the Colts' 9 where an interception (note: you have to *passing* to throw an INT) stalled what would have surely been, minimum, 3 points, likely 7 points - oh by the way, pushing the lead to 41. The Colts then mount their only sustained drive of the day and miss a FG. On the Texans' very next offensive play - and this is so, so critical - Tate fumbled.

It wasn't a product of taking anything off of anything: they turned the ball over on back-to-back offensive plays.

When they got back on the field, there was 9:17 left in the game; the Texans proceeded to hold the football for 7 of those 9 minutes, which is exactly what 30 other NFL teams would have done. There's no reason to run it up (there's no BCS in the NFL) and, more importantly, no reason to risk injury. Do you realize the s-storm that would have erupted if AJ pulled a hammy while Schaub was chucking 50-yarders to him?

Come on, man... have a little perspective here.

Again, context is important here: They led by 34 points at the half. You cannot compare that to any game last year.

I posted this earlier in the thread but do you realize that in the day's 3 other blow-out wins (Philadelphia, Buffalo and Baltimore), those three teams led at halftime by a *combined* score of 34 points. Do you realize what an nearly unprecedented lead we had?

I'm flabbergasted that anyone would suggest Sunday's second half was in any way, shape or from even a distant relative of the issues we saw last year. It's frankly insane.

8. msn

msn Member

these fans will be b****ing if the Texans win the freaking SB.

unbelievable.

9. Hey Now!

Yes, true - obviously. But was there any indication Sunday that the Texans would have had trouble securing those 14 points if the Colts had instead punted?

Excluding the two turnover drives (as well as the game-ending drive), the Texans had 7 possessions. Five of those 7 possessions ended in Colt territory, including three drives that started at their own 20 or worse.

I saw nothing to make me think turnovers did anything beyond speed up what was an inevitable result.

10. conquistador#11

As long as we have more points when the fourth quarter ends, I really don't care during which quarters they rack up their points.

11. Hey Now!

You wonder why I bang my head against the forum....

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Shocked that this thread has devolved so badly.

Texans didn't get away with anything Sunday. They beat the tar out of a poor team that played like dispirited losers.

1) What if Peyton was there is senseless - you're talking about a guy that couldn't even throw worth spit at practice. Are you inserting Peyton in his prime then? That guy isn't around and might never be again.

2) We beat the junk out of them last year, should have done so twice, and are vastly improved on defense while they are no better in any area than they were last year (and worse in a few).

3) I would have liked to see them play a little better in the second half, I've been all over them for their Jekyll/Hyde halves....but to point at last week and accuse them of that is idiotic.

They could have done a couple of things better, but they didn't need to run up the score for that to be a spanking. It was over at halftime.

The hypothetical healthy Peyton Manning obviously would have made it more of a contest, but no way does he alter the outcome. Their defense was still thoroughly outmatched. Their offensive line was still wet toilet paper. Addai still couldn't scramble for 20 yards if he was alone on the field.

Let's move on and worry about the Fins and Saints.

13. msn

msn Member

Let's.

/thread.

14. Hey Now!

I would argue 1Q.

If AJ makes what's a pretty routine catch, they score on that first drive. That team looked unstoppable until they stopped themselves midway through the 4Q. It looked a lot like... well, every offense playing our defense last year. It was reverse deja vu.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What if TMAC and Yao were there and healthy?

16. msn

msn Member

↑↑ and if you had hooves and teats you'd be a heifer.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What an asinine topic to be discussing. It was 34-0 AT HALFTIME for Christ's sake! Even if we DID let our foot off the gas, who the **** cares?!? This was a curbstomping of epic proportions, and the OP (amongst others) are STILL complaining?? You realize that our game had the largest point gap for one half in the entire NFL? Even in the other games that turned out to be blowouts, the halftime score was fairly close in ALL of them. The reason why the Texans didn't score in the second half was because they didn't need to! And guess what....if a rookie running back playing in his first NFL regular season game hadn't fumbled after a beastly 18 yard run, we WOULD have scored in the second half, and it would have been 41-0! This thread is what is wrong with Houston sports fans. Plain and simple.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with Fyreball. It's the NFL...we're 1-0, and we beat our first opponent by 27 points. Enjoy that.

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I understand all the frustration in this thread, and I don't think most of us (except for the OP) are trying to say it wasn't a quality win.

But this is Houston. Our football teams have a history of not being able to close out games, whether it's finding a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (link), squandering a good lead (link), or making NFL history (link). These are tough memories to shut-out. So I, for one, would love to see the Texans play consistent football for 4 quarters. But that doesn't mean I'm complaining about the win. :grin:

20. msn

msn Member

refusing to click on those links; confident that what you take me to relive will make me want to punch you in the mouth. :p

I get that NFL history in Houston would make fans want to "hedge their bets" or only have guarded optimism. But the kind of p***y-footed, mealy-mouthed handwringing found in this thread is just over the top. There is middle ground, people.