1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

But they didn't have Peyton

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Am I right?

1. Yes - the tale of two halves (0 2nd half points)

30 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. No - Peyton would have been shaking in his boots

88 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. msn

msn Member

"Feel Good Syndrome". Pshaw.

Just stop it. The Texans won a game, and the secondary didn't get lit up.

Can't we wait until they actually fall off the cliff before wringing our hands about it?

Got anything positive to point out?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I feel good about the offense.

I feel good about the special teams.

I feel "not un-good" about the defense.

3. msn

msn Member

I "feel good" about Life.

Concerning the Texans, that was a fun, enjoyable game. Would have been more fun to beat down the Great Manning like last year, but fun nonetheless. Hopefully more fun to come; we'll just wait and see.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I LOL'd. :grin:

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Stay Humble, Stay Hungry.

I'm very excited about the game, very high on both sides of our team.

6. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

People you honestly cant say it would have been closer. Do you not realize we didnt score in the Second half. If it was closer, we would have kept scoring and then you would have to hope that the colts could of matched our 1st half 34 points, and continued to score throughout the second half.

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

2010: 2-0 w/ fans overreacting...Texans get their ass whooped by the Cowboys

2011: 2-0 w/ fans overreacting...Texans get their ass whooped by the Saints

Game 3 will be the pivotal point in the season. Dejavu?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

You also do realize that we scored 14 straight points from two "Manning would've never made" fumbles that resulted in starting inside opponent's red zone, right?

I agree the Texans would've played better in the 2nd half. But there's no way with that Schuab INT and 2 Collins fumbles that the Colts would've been anywhere near 0-17 at the end of the 1st quarter. The Texans offense played well, but it wasn't going 70 yards for TDs every drive. So getting a gift-wrapped 14 points is hardly a small matter.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Why wouldn't we have gone 70 yards on every drive? We moved the ball very well in the 1st half and pretty much the 2nd before the Schaub INT. The Colts defense was being trucked by our O-Line and Tate was having zero problem running the ball.

We were one of the best, if not the best, team going 80+ yards last season.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont think fans will be overreacting if the texans wins next week, they could win by 3 or 4 points and nobody would overreact.

Also week 1 was a good win.

If we have won, but only for like 4 or 5 pts, then people would say: texans are not for real, beating colts without peyton by only 5 pts, its not something to brag about.

11. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

We had no problem moving up field, Lets Recap

1st drive, we were about to start rolling til the interception

2nd drive we gained around 70 yard for the FG - (we only had 2 Third downs in the drive)

3 and 4th drives were easy TDs from fumbles - ( Each play from both drives were for positive gains and it only took 6 plays for both TDs

5th drive, we had three consecutive 1st downs, we never had a third down on the entire drive. We went 89 yards on 10 downs for a TD

6th drive, we move the ball to the Indy 17 when Shaub got sacked causing a 3rd and 13. Because we were UP by so much, we went safe with a run, gaining 9 yards. (By this time in the game Matt had already completed 6 passes for greater than 13 yards) End drive with Field Goal
    Colts 3 and Out, Jacoby Punt Return TD

TEXANS HAVE YET TO PUNT THE BALL

END HALF

Our offense Rolled over the COLTs defense like it was nobodies business. Peyton had nothing to do with that.

Now the second fumble we all can say that Manning would never had lost. But any QB would of had a hard time holding on to the ball during the Mario sack and they were lucky to get that one back. And just how you try to blame those two turnovers on peytons absence. You dont equate that our seasoned veteran also gave the ball away twice. Who is to say Peyton would have thrown an Int.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Offense on 2 drives off 2 turnovers with short field. 14 points scored.
    Offense the rest of the game off of no turnovers. 13 points scored

Right. The turnovers didn't help a lot. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In the first half, the Texans offense scored on every possession except the one that ended in an interception. The offense can't help it if the defense played great, too.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You DO understand that your game plan tends to change when you're up by 37 points at halftime, right?

I can't believe people are actually criticizing our 2nd half play. What do you expect us to do up 37-0? Go Sam Wyche and start running trick plays, onside kicks and fake punts?

This is just really bizarre to me. If we score 37 in the 1st half, some people aren't satisfied unless we do it again in the 2nd half.

When is the last time you saw an NFL team win 74-0?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Doesn't change your point - but it was 34-0.

16. ima_drummer2k

Well, it WOULD have been 37 if we didn't take our foot off the gas!!!!

;)

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Never, but, the Pats did not hesitate going 56-0 against the Tennessee Titans a few years ago. The "they took their foot off the gas because of the score" is a cop out for a one-half offense.

In their first five (5) losses last year (2010) the Texans managed to score only 3 points (a FG) in at least one-half of play in each of those games. In fact in 6 losses last year they managed to score only 3 points in one-half of each loss.

In twelve (12) games last year the offense managed to produce seven (7) or fewer points in at least one half each game. They were 3-9 in those twelve (12) games, with two (2) of the three (3) wins being comebacks (Washington and KC). However, against Tennesse and Rusty Smith they scored 6 points in the second half. I guess the Texans just take their foot off the gas, sometimes even in the first half.

The Texans also had horrible starting field position last year and their special teams I will add are the only thing I would gage from Sunday's win. Daniel Manning is much better than Steve Slaton, and Jacoby will need to prove his TD wasn't just a 9th inning homerun in 12-3 ball game.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Texans fans. Where 3 points = 7 points and turnovers are ignored because they're meaningless.

Good rebuttal.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Are you sure you responded to the right post? Because if you respond to mine, you should be pointing out the flaw in my assertion of the following.

The Texans are likely to score more points when they're starting inside the opponent's 20 than when they are not.

I don't know how 2nd half got into this. Maybe you just mad or something?

20. ima_drummer2k

I honestly don't know what to say to this. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something. We were up 34-0, so we decided to run the ball in the 2nd half. This is standard operation procedure for just about every football team. It's Football 101.

The colts knew we would do it, so they put 8 guys in the box. What does it matter? The goal is to keep the clock running, avoid injuries, and get the hell out of there with a win, which is exactly what we did.

Last year is last year. Who cares? If we go up 24-0 at halftime on Sunday and end up losing (or even winning) 27-24, THEN we can talk about being a one-half offense.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail in this thread.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Yes, the offense didn't start every single drive on their own 20. So what?