1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[But the game is on] Rockets should go after Iguodala

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I didn't see this posted:

Iggy career PER 17, eFG% 0.501
    very durable, only one season less than 82 games

Melo career PER 20, eFG% 0.478
    only one full season with 82 games (many in the 60's)

They're the same age. Iggy plays better defense and, as far as I know, has NOTHING to do with World Wide Wes. :grin:

I don't see why Philly would give him up for the packages listed though, and I agree with those saying it would only be at the trade deadline anyway.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hill and Bud for Iggy? Sorry but no. They can have one or the other.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think I agree that Iggy may be the better option, IF we would give up less to get him. Melo would cancel out Martin, whereas I think Iggy and Martin complement each other well. Of course it's also likely we would be trading Martin in any Denver trade, in which case our wings would be Lee and Melo. This also isn't as strong as an Iggy/Martin combo.

I have to say though, that I think Battier becomes extremely useless off the bench. Especially on the offensive end where we have a semi-running game led by Kyle Lowry. The only reason Battier's not a complete waste on offense is when he plays with Yao Ming.

I honestly wasn't even expecting Shane to play much this season when we still had Ariza around, since I thought bud wass BY FAR the better option with our running second unit.

With Iggy on our team, the only way I see Shane being useful off the bench is late in the game when we have a comfortable lead and are playing a team with two strong wings, so he can guard one and Iggy can guard the other.

4. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

I agree with you on this one

5. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

Agreed, but if we get Melo, it will gut the rockets to the point that they will not have a deep bench anymore.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

why do you need a deep bench when your SF contributes close to 30 PPG?
    look at the Lakers. They have the worst bench in the league and are fine.

7. parmesh

parmesh Member

I'm still on the Iggy bandwagon...
    I feel like it'll take Battier, Jeffries, and a couple picks (or Hill and a pick) for Iggy + filler. Dude plays defense at a high level, and doesn't seem to be greedy with the ball. I feel like he'd adjust easily to Adelman, Yao, Martin, and Brooks.

8. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Just on side note, I know I've said before but can we stop calling him Iggy. He has made it clear that he doesn't like being called Iggy. If you feel the need to shorten his name we can call him Dre.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to respect a person's request.

9. parmesh

parmesh Member

You want to rely on one player to score a lot of points, while taking a lot of shots and commanding the ball? I'd rather have the ability to have any 2 of our starters bust out for 30 points each in any game.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

Who said Yao isn't on the team? Plus Melo draws significant double teams. He's not a low percentage chucker like T-mac.

He posts up instead of heat checking 3 pointers standing on the line. With him drawing true doubles people will be ridiculously open and you have YAO in the post!

Iggy doesn't draw double teams.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

A couple of things I want to say about Iggy.

1. It's not automatic that he cost less than Melo. The reason is because he's under contract for a long time, so Philly can trade him for the best package regardless of his wishes. In essence, they can create a true auction for all teams interested. Whereas Denver holds only partial leverage for trading Melo due to his threat to not extend.

2. It's also not automatic that Philly will trade him. If he can play with Turner, why would they do so? Last season it was perhaps to dump Dalembert's contract. But that's no longer a problem. And no team is going to take on Brand's albatross contract just for Iggy, so it's not like the Sixers are going to save much money regardless. The only way Philly trades him is if he regresses, or simply cannot play with Turner who look like the next Brandon Roy.

So oddly enough, assuming Houston really is on Melo's short list of teams, I actually think he's more likely to be traded here between the two. Also, I don't think trading for one precludes trading for the other. The Rockets should have enough pieces to get both, at the expense of likely their entire depth, for both.

12. PASTORofMUPPETS

Wow, with posts like this I wonder how much of Clutchfans you actually read. The majority of the threads in the offseason here are hypothetical.

I agree with the OP. Iggy would be a better fit than Melo, not to mention the chemistry issues we might have if JR Smith is involved in a Melo trade.

Another thing is, Melo has to have the ball in his hands to make an impact on the game. Iggy can make an impact on both ends of the floor and he's not going to take as many touches away from our other scorers.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was under the impression that he was not being shopped/offered

Rocket River

14. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

High flying Iggy got some "D"! But i would like to have Melo over Iggy!

15. Danbury

Danbury Member

Crazy overvaluing of both of Buddinger and Hill. Neither of these guys has proven a thing in this league. They have potential but Iggy is already there. Hill won't even get playing time this year! Besides the Rockets need defense and Iggy can provide that.

If they can turn a second round draft pick, and a piece of Tmac's corpse (Hill) into Iguodala, how is that not a good deal?!

16. Prince

Prince Member

Hill is overrated.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Hill can't be rated. He's only been in the NBA for 1 year.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He was still a reach as a #8 pick.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Morey said he had him going 14-15th so he thought he was a lotto pick.

20. parmesh

parmesh Member

Got anything at all to back that up?