1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[But the game is on] Rockets should go after Iguodala

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Honestly I'd rather have Iggy than Melo. I already posted about this but Melo and Iggy wouldn't work as well as most of the poster here think. However a Martin/Iggy combo would definitely work well, as Iggy is actually a rich man's Ariza, and we all saw how Ariza's production skyrocketed when Martin got here. Of course nobody sees Iggy as a bonafide franchise guy, however with the way DM has set the team up I think we're more like the Pistons than the Lakers anyway-we have a lot of upper tier players but no "real" super star(unless you see Yao as one).

I like the thought of Iggy and Martin on the court together-you have a nice "sword" and "shield" thing going with Iggy being an elite defender who can contribute across the board and Martin being the most one of the most efficient scorers in NBA history. Iggy can also help Yao and Scola rebound, and with those three helping each other I expect us to be one of the top rebounding teams in the league. So yeah, sign me up.

2. worzel gummidge

Iggy is a lower tier player. With the roster the Sixers have and them being in the EC they should be better than they are.

3. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

brooks martin and iggy would be a very interesting back court.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wouldn't give up Chase AND two 1st rounders to take on Iggy. Iggy wouldn't make the team that much better anyway.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i agree with everything you just said. andre over carmelo any day.

and if all you had to give up was a 1st round pick and buddinger that would be the perfect trade. i think this team would be even deeper then the pistons team. although that team didnt have to go through the current heat team (yes i think the heat will be better then the lakers from now on)

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Recently in alot of my trade proposals, i have been including Brooks in all of my trade packages for Iggy and in return trying a seperate trade giving Phillie a $5 mil. TE for Lou Williams.
    Instead of paying Brooks 8 mil.+ a season after this year, they'll only have to pay Williams 5+ over the next three seasons. Plus Williams has a PER of 18.5 as opposed to Brooks's 16. So this is somewhat of a lateral move as far as losing Brooks goes.

7. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

am i the only one happy with the roster we have? give the guys a chance..

8. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

So you're happy to have a solid team that can come close, but won't win the title?

I like this team as it stands, but I won't be a homer and think we will go all the way.

9. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I would much rather prefer Iguodala over Anthony. I think he is a better fit with the current team and quite honestly, seems like a better person than Carmelo. His play making ability would lessen the responsibility of Brooks allowing him to focus on what he does best, score. There have been many discussions whether or not Iguodala is a great defender, but in either case, I believe it's safe to say he is definitely better than Anthony in that regard(or he at least tries harder more consistently.)

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'd rather have Iggy too if getting Melo requires giving up one of the starting five not named Battier. However, if Melo (plus extension) can be acquired for picks + bench players, then I'm good either way.

11. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Depth is nice, but to go far in the playoffs, you'll be down to an 8 man rotation and need all the star power you can get. Melo commands a double team inside the 3 point line and can operate on the wing or down in the post. Iggy, while a great 2nd or 3rd option on a team, doesn't have that.

For regular season success, I'd pick the Iggy trade and keep both Martin and AB, but to win it all, gimme Melo any day of the week.

That's the good thing about having a competent GM assembling a team: you've got options ;)

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I'd love to challenge this concept.

Who's to say that this is the only way to win a title. It almost makes me wish the Suns had made the finals with their 8 secs or less system.

Just because it's never been done before, why is it impossible to believe that it couldn't ever work?

Theoretically over the compilation of 4 seven game series logic would say that the less minutes that each player is forced to play would benefit the team with more depth... so why has it never been accomplished?

Of course, this could probably be better discussed in it's own thread, but since it was brought up here.. why not pose the challenge.

If a team can win a chip with no "superstars" (2004 Pistons) why can't a team with a longer rotation.

The general consensus among coaches (from what I gather) is that they can only trust that 8 man rotation once the playoff rolls around... but if you have a team full of players you can trust? Why not use them to their full potential?

1 person likes this.
  13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I wouldn't give up budinger and hill for Iggy, too much IMO.

14. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

You wont give up Bud and Hill for Iggy? Seriously? smh

15. skattles08

skattles08 Member

DM has said over and over again they are always looking to improve the roster. What's wrong with a little speculation? With the assets we have we can definitely improve our top line players and who would say no to that

16. mi0304

mi0304 Member

If melo is possible, we should go after him first. if not, Iggy as plan B is very good choice.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Iggy is a high character guy that fits what we are trying to do and shores up our weakness on D.

Melo is a chemistry killer imo, or at least a potential one. Something about that guy just rubs me wrong.

18. lionaire

lionaire Member

Idk if I can deal with losing Bud, but I guess it's better than giving up K-mart/AB...

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'd trade Budinger and Hill for Iggy in a heartbeat.

What if I said in the summer of 2009 that you could acquire Iguodala for expiring contracts, a lottery draft pick that was a throwaway in the deal for T-Mac, and some guy you just selected in the middle of the second round? Obviously that's putting a lot of spin on the deal on paper but still, think about it from a value standpoint:

Hill's value has gone down significantly since he was drafted and then up slightly after we acquired him.
    Budinger's value has gone up tremendously after his past year but still not to the level of a player that would start at wing on half the teams in the NBA.
    Iguodala's value is hampered by his remaining contract (4yrs 56M left) but on the court I believe his value is going up. He's playing a big role in the USA team right now, and he's showing himself to be a good team player and lockdown defender in the process. He's the kind of guy who could thrive in a winning system like ours. His skillset complements those of our other starters offensively and defensively. I agree with the article--he's a fit. And to get him without giving up a starter (including Battier who would go to the bench but still be more useful in that role than Chase) would be a much better option to look at than having to sacrifice Martin to win Melo.

20. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

I for one think Iggy is definitely a more plausible trade target. The Nuggets are still considered contenders and are hoping Melo will stick around, while Philly is already in rebuilding mode and have recently drafted their premier player's replacement. No this is not an official report, but it does get people thinking. I'm on board with several other posters here - if we can get Iggy without giving up Martin or Brooks then I'm all for that move. Melo will cost more, and while he is a better player, we already have scorers all over the floor which is what Melo would primarily bring to the table. Iggy would bring a more balanced approach, and actually he might compare to a slightly shorter Ariza with better ball handling and more physical defense.

Iggy might be a second or third option type of player, but with scoring potential literally at every position on the floor, that's more of what we need - someone to defer, and play tough defense.

1 person likes this.