1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bush's Approval Rating Lowest Since 9/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Timing, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Makes you wonder where Bush would be without 9/11.

Bush's job approval lowest since 9/11
    By Richard Benedetto and Susan Page, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2003-01-13-bush-poll_x.htm

WASHINGTON — President Bush's job approval rating as he nears the middle of his term has dropped below 60% for the first time since the Sept. 11 attacks, a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll has found. The number reflects a rising uncertainty about a sluggish economy and the prospects of conflict with Iraq and North Korea. (Related story: Voters praise Bush, but have their doubts)

The dip in Bush's rating to 58% from 63% last week is within the survey's margin of error of +/-3 percentage points, but it marks a steady decline in his approval numbers, which peaked at 90% days after the terrorist attacks.(Related item: Full poll results)

The slip comes as the president is poised for military action against Iraq and is pushing an ambitious program of tax cuts and judicial nominations in Congress. Leading Democrats are deciding whether to seek the nomination against him in 2004.

A sense that Bush's record-setting popularity is beginning to erode could make it more difficult for him to win victories on Capitol Hill. It also could embolden Democratic critics who were disheartened by the strong GOP showing, including the recapturing of the Senate, in the November elections.

Even so, 58% is still a healthy rating, higher than presidents Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton held at the beginning of their third years in office. The first President Bush was at 83% in January 1991, his standing boosted as the Persian Gulf War began.

For the current president, the question is whether the findings turn out to be "a snapshot in time" or a trend that continues, Bush pollster Matthew Dowd says. Dowd, a strategist for the Republican National Committee, says he and others have long acknowledged that the president's stratospheric ratings wouldn't continue forever.

Just before the attacks on New York and Washington, Bush's job approval was at 51%, the lowest of his tenure. Then it rose to 90% Sept. 21, a record for presidents in the Gallup Poll. It stayed above 80% until March 4 and above 70% until July 22.

Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg interprets the recent drop as a "slap on the hand from the American people" after hearing details of an administration economic plan that Democrats say favors the rich.

"If you offer that many billions of dollars in tax cuts and your numbers go down, it is hard not to read that as a no-confidence vote on the plan," Greenberg says.

Bush's rating on handling the economy slipped to 48%, the lowest of his presidency. His approval rating on foreign affairs was 53%, the lowest since Sept. 11. And though 59% said he was paying the right amount of attention to terrorism, 55% said he wasn't paying enough attention to the economy.

The president continues to be highly regarded. By solid majorities of 65% or more, those surveyed said he has a vision for the country's future, has brought dignity back to the White House and is a strong leader willing to make hard decisions. The poll of 1,002 adults was conducted Friday through Sunday.

Bush's standing in the future will be shaped by what happens with the events now at center stage, says Stephen Hess, a presidential scholar at the Brookings Institution. "If the economy improves, a diplomatic solution is found to the North Korea problem and a war in Iraq is successful, Bush will benefit," he says. "If any one of them is a failure, it can hurt."

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

58% is a very high approval rating. I heard last night on Crossfire that Clinton was reelected with a 52% approval rating.

Keep trying, Timing

3. Timing

Timing Member

You're just not able to grasp much of anything are you?

4. Heretic

Heretic Member

I won't be voting for Bush in 2004

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, I didn't know you did the poll and wrote the article, Timing! You are so multi-talented and connected! Color me impressed.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If Saddam runs away and Iraq becomes a democracy without a single shot fired I except that number to go up.

Or maybe not, who knows with these polls.

7. Timing

Timing Member

Susan Page is my pen name. ;)

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

But if the war in Iraq fails to oust Saddam's regime, and our economy suffers then Bush is in real trouble. This war is costing taxpayers billions of dollars. This money could be used to revitalize the nation's struggling economy.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The economy could really cause his approval ratings to go down. At least that's how voters usually behave. Although I don't believe the "it's the economy, stupid" mentallity. Voters are smart enough to understand that there's more than one important issue.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

9/11 helped Bush's approval rating? You've got to be kidding. That's some amazing stuff right there.

11. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Timing - I think with the current economic and global situation almost any president would be happy with this approval rating.

found something that should actually make you happy.... I am sure you heard about it already though.

12. Sonny

Wasn't there talk of taking over Iraq's oil fields after an invasion? Wouldn't this pay for the war...

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow..i couldn't agree more. think clinton's approval ratings would have been in this neighborhood if the economy sucked during his tenure? somehow, i doubt it.

14. Timing

Timing Member

Originally posted by Sonny
    I think with the current economic and global situation almost any president would be happy with this approval rating.

I think that ignores how he's gotten to this approval rating. It hasn't been through his policies or tax cuts, it's been war popularity.

something that should actually make you happy.... I am sure you heard about it already though.

I know, the only way a minority can get a head coaching job in the NFL is to coach the worst franchise in the league! j/k LOL ;)

15. Sonny

There have been several presidents that have been (re)elected based upon the popularity of a war (FDR and Eisenhower come to mind). Other presidents (LBJ) have been destroyed by a war. I think Bush's popularity has been from his response to crisis and his leadership through and after it. 9-11 definitely made Bush, he wouldn't be the same president he is without it. Great leaders are born during great crisises.

#15 Sonny, Jan 15, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2003
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... but Bush is not a much of a leader. Ohhh the paradoxes!!!

17. Isabel

Isabel Member

I saw an interesting poll last night: apparently, between 75-80% of those polled (can't remember the exact #) believe that Bush is a strong leader and that he is good at making tough decisions. At the same time, when they showed the part of the poll asking people if they would vote for him in the next election, 32% said definitely not. In other words, some of the people who think he's a strong leader still want him out of office.

OK, whatever. (unless you admire him as a person, or think he's good at what he does, but just don't agree with his politics)

18. Sonny

Right... then who is? Not Clinton or Carter.

19. Timing

Timing Member

:D

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Another point to make here is that if you negate Bush's popularity due to his handling of post-911 events, then you must also negate the negative economic performance which is in part attributable to the financial impact of 911. You can't have both.

As someone well-versed in economics, I'm personally shocked the economy is doing as well as it's doing right now. Given the mistrust of corporate management, the financial and psychological impacts of terrorism, the unstable global political scene, rising energy prices, and the crash of the stock market bubble of the late 90's (the top was March 2000), it is amazing that this economy is growing. In the minds of the smart money on Wall Street, there is *absolutely* no question that business prospects began declining in the second quarter of 2000. While the recession did not begin until Q1 2001 (which is in large part due to the time lag between booking and actually receiving profits), March 2000 was without question the inflexion point in the economy. To blame a recession on a president who had only held office for *days* before the actual recession began is absolutely ludicrous. Nevermind the fact that no one person/politician can control the economy (not even Greenspan), but to make this an even more ridiculous argument, it takes months or *years* before an administration's policies actually affect the economy.

Bush's policies and proposed policies have provided nothing but stimulus to the markets. He has restored confidence to the markets, which appear to be stabilizing (albeit slowly). I interact with financial professionals on a daily basis. I have not spoken with one person that thinks Bush's stimulus package isn't an absolute home run for this economy. Not a single person. It is a shame that the irrational, emotional types actually buy into the class warfare argument. It is simply baseless.