1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush Workout at USC!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketFire, Apr 2, 2006.

1. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

When can I get my Reggie Bush Jersey?

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

True, but having great muscular endurance improves how well you can maintain strength throughout the length of the game IMO.

We need players to be effective in the 4th quarter.

3. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

The Texans will draft

#1 - REGGIE BUSH,USC

#33 - Eric Winston,Miami/Jonathan Scott,UT

4. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I did not mean to start a bench press debate, but since you keep replying:

A max lift is not dangerous, and bodyweight is only relative in sports with a weight class. My whole point about the 2 different lifters was that high rep tests do not translate to a 1RM very well at all - thus they are silly. And the pushup test is not the best test for stamina and endurance, it is easy to administer and that is why it used.

5. stevel

This would be true if there wasn't a break between plays. Since there is a break in the action that allows for recovery, muscular endurance is less important.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I replied once because you were inaccurate and needed to be corrected.

7. stevel

How do you figure that I am incorrect - the 225 test is a poor indicator of strength -period. Based on your reply you know a very little about training, exercise, and physiology - I will gladly engage in a debate with you but you will get schooled.

8. swilkins

That is my point. If you have above average endurance, recovery time is reduced during the game (break between plays). If you have below average endurance, the breaks in between plays might not be enough and during the course of play, your overall energy level and muscle tiredness may suffer.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why do you think football is played 1 time every week for a total of 16 times ove a 17 week period? Its because it is so physically grueling, even with the "breaks". Endurance is extremely critical in football, specially from a runningback...a runningback that many believe cannont carry the ball for more than 15-20 times a game.

No matter how you cut it, endurance is critical in football.

10. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

All I want to know is will R. Bush break tackles in the NFL and will we sub for him in short yardage situations?

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We probably won't have any short yardage situations. He'll be taking everything to the house.

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

As long as he doesn't try any of those cute laterals I'm good. :D

13. swilkins

If the guy could have caught the ball it would have been a brilliant play though.

14. Major

Major Member

But that's true of a lot of stupid plays. When Favre throws the ball 50 yards into a single receiver and 3 defenders, if the receiver would have caught the ball, it would be a great play. But the reality is, it gets intercepted more often than not. What makes it a stupid play is that it isn't likely to work.

15. reggietodd

So was VY's lateral in the rose bowl a stupid play?

Without going into the fact that his knee was down. Was the decision for him to lateral the ball while in the red zone a stupid play? I don't think that it was.

I also don't think Bush's lateral was a stupid play, if the guy had been paying attention and had been athletic enough to catch the ball then it would have been a brilliant play. Good heads up play by Bush, he gave his teammate too much credit, he trusted the other guy too much though.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

bush's laterall WAS stupid because he didn't know who was there. VY threw the ball around a bunch of longhorns. but that's neither here nor there because a running back isn't drafted for his decision making.

17. Major

Major Member

VY's wasn't the wisest play in the world, but a little more reasonable. For one, there weren't an army of defenders around. Two, the guy was expecting it - he was there to catch a pitch. It wasn't just a random play by Vince - it was part of the offensive playcall. Three, it was along the sidelnes, so a missed pitch may go out of bounds. That said, I still wouldn't have done it.

Reggie's was completely the opposite. The guy he pitched to was rightfully not expecting it. He wasn't a ballcarrier and shouldn't be expected to make the catch. And if he misses it, you're in the middle of the field and the only other players around are Longhorns. Add to that, it was a terrible pitch, and it was a dumb decision all around.

18. reggietodd

Here is Bush's take on the lateral:

"I remember being surrounded by three guys getting ready to tackle me," Reggie Bush says, "and I saw one of my teammates off to the right by himself and tried to pitch him the ball. That's the type of player I am. I play fearless. . . . I feel like if I would have made the pitch and we'd scored, it would have been the greatest play in college history."

If you're a math person, here are some statistics on whether or not it was a boneheaded play. Pretty good read, lol.
    http://worldclassfederalists.blogspot.com/2006/01/how-boneheaded-was-reggie-bushs-muffed.html

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Uh, no. Lifting 225 lbs 24 times translates to a max waaaaay higher than 325-350. That's well over 4 bills.

I disagree. Pushups are freaking easy. Lifting 225 is not.

20. swilkins

He knew who he was tossing the ball to.