1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush Apologizes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, May 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Forgive me if I seem out of line but I don't see how many of your posts have been respectful of the opinions of others lately. You have been one of my favorite posters in this forum but as time has gone by your posts have become less and less respectful of the opinions of others. You still are very respectful of the person posting but not much respect is shown to their opinions.

Perhaps it's the projection of your dislike of others and perhaps I'm being overly sensitive but I just don't see the respect of many on this board towards posters that don't agree with them (this being from posters on both sides). The arrogance on this board is astounding.

Even so, I never said I didn't respect your opinion. You can feel however you want. All I said was that I don't understand how you can ask for something over and over and then say it doesn't matter when you get it.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Ditto Deckard. I remember the day he beat Richards for Governor of Texas and I knew we would regret it. Unfortunately, it all came real. Its almost like a bad nightmare.
    p.s. I will admit I thought he was a pretty decent governor. So I will give him that.
    p.s. I think I can pretty much always echo whatever Deckard says within this board. Must be a south austin thing. ;)

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rumsfeld is a mistake. His apology would sound better if it had meaning behind it.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Look, I've said this before, more than once, and I apologize if you don't recall seeing it, but I put, "Keep D&D Civil," at the bottom of my posts as a reminder to myself, as well as everyone else, to make the attempt to be just that. I've never considered myself a "paragon of civility," and I've said so. I'm a b*stard in his mid-50s, who still remembers watching the JFK/Nixon debate on TV, seeing JFK speak at Rice Stadium, seeing him from 20 feet away the day before he was shot, and proudly voted against Nixon, and for George McGovern. I also remember when the Oilers started playing in the AFL, seeing the Colt 45's at Colt Stadium, that mosquito pit, with the Dome a really big pit next door, and the Rockets moving to Houston from San Diego. I'm a sports fan and a political junkie. I'm not a saint. Hell, I'm agnostic.

And I'll repeat this as well... if someone calls me a traitor, or what amounts to being called a traitor, because I disagree with their take on how "marvelous" George W. Bush is, and how he can do no wrong, then they deserve no respect from me, or anyone else. And to think I should turn the other cheek to insults of that nature is, forgive me, simply absurd. Several of us have had insults of that nature thrown at us. gwayneco has done it several times. Why on earth should I ignore that? I could put him on ignore, but I only have one member I've done that with, and the only reason he is still there is that I haven't bothered to take him off. He's not allowed to post in D&D, if that gives you a clue. I don't like doing it. It's a form of censorship, IMO, and too easy to do. I'd rather attempt to work things out with the person. wnes and I had several dust-ups, and he was booted from here for a short while, unfortunately, but he's become one of my favorite posters. gwayneco does what he does to himself. We aren't bringing the problems he's having to him... he's bringing the problems on himself.

Creepy does the same thing. I'm really not trying to sound like I'm some sort of "worthy," around here, that folks ought to listen to, far from it, but common sense should tell Creepy that if he'd tone it down a bit, and try to be less confrontational, and worse, that he could really be a valued member here. In my opinion, he asks for whatever he's getting.

If it seems to get beyond "proper decorum," with those two, then examine their posts. They've consistantly insulted other members, ignored backing up assertions with facts, and, in my opinion, gone off the "deep end" more than once. Then, when someone gives them a hard time, because they were insulted, we're supposed to join hands and sing kumbaya?

Again, I'm no angel, and have never said I was one. I really enjoy this forum, because I'm an admitted political junkie. I always have been. And I want this forum to stick around, because I think it's a valuable part of ClutchFans, where those of us who share a love of the Rockets can discuss other things as well... subjects besides a problem with a girlfriend, or whether other people pee in the shower (I don't!). You know, more serious stuff that adults frequently have an interest in, as you do. We should all be civil with one another. If members are civil to me, then I'm civil to them.

It's not Rockets science. That's in the GARM. Sometimes. ;)

And thanks, updawg. :)

Keep D&D Civil, and You'll Find Members being Civil to You!

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I completely understand about getting defensive to someone calling you names. I'm not so much talking about that. I understand that tendency.

I'm just talking in general about the way we tend to present our views (including myself most likely). Much of the discussion in here lately hasn't been an attempt at understanding anything except our own viewpoints. There is an arrogance on both sides that is quite troubling.

Look at any thread in this forum about the president or started by any conservative poster. 90% of the thread won't be people attempting to understand/debate the other poster. Instead it's an endless string of 29% jokes (which were funny at first but get old after a while) and others patting eachother on the back. The minute someone comes in to defend the actions of the president, they're labeled a Bushbot and shut down.

The same thing happens on threads started by people who have views differing from mine but there just aren't enough conservative posters to equal the piling on from other threads. Sadly, the conservative posters who DO tend to pile on are quite obnoxious and therefore stand out more to some.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I would have been happy if his apology was followed by his resignation, and the resignation of Cheney, Rummy and Condi too.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel bad for Cheney,
    First they fire him, now Isiah has hired Larry Brown and he couldnt do anything with that team. We love you Don Cheney!

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bush's "apology" is not really an apology. It is just another ploy to play to the a key part of his 29% support , who identify with his alleged lack of sophistication. It is part ot the sthick where he of the multignerational wealth and Andover, Yale and Harvard pretends to just be a humble small rancher guy from West Texas who likes to wear tool belts.

9. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

That wasn't an explicit apology over his actions, it was showing regret over some of the language he used.

Now as far as what Deckard said above, I don't bring anything on myself...I've endured some of the worst name-calling on this site. I've asked others to focus on the issues and stop their name-calling, but they continue to do so, thus, I respond in kind.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clinton apologized for the same reason. However, the political stakes were higher for Clinton, and Clinton's apology wasn't about his foreign and military policy.

But it still shows how Bush's reactions have been trying to mimic what Slick Willy did despite Bush initially claming to be about honesty and directness, aka Not-Clinton.

If anything happens out of this wreck of an Admin, I hope Bush's demographic realize that and the Clinton demographic remembers that.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Does anyone really think that Jr would be issuing this "apology" if his poll numbers weren't so low?

He might get a bump from the true belivers, but this changes nothing.

12. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

**Applause** Couldnt have said it better.

13. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Jump down the shelters to get away
    The boys are cockin' up their guns
    Tell us general, is it party time?
    If it is can we all come

Don't think that we don't know
    Don't think that we're not trying
    Don't think we move too slow
    It's no use after crying
    Saying

It's a mistake, it's a mistake

After the laughter as died away
    And all the boys have had their fun
    No surface noise now, not much to say
    They've got the bad guys on the run

Don't try to say you're sorry
    Don't say he drew his gun
    They've gone and grabbed old Ronnie
    He's not the only one saying

Tell us commander, what do you think?
    'Cos we know that you love all that power
    Is it on then, are we on the brink?
    We wish you'd all throw in the towel

We'll not fade out too soon
    Not in this finest hour
    Whistle your favourite tune
    We'll send a card and flower
    Saying

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I think its a good start but it is a little late. My question regarding what this does to the morale of the troops is an honest question for debate and not an aside. Many posters have brought up the issue that criticism and questioning of our strategy is bad for morale. Well now that the President himself is expressing regrets does that affect the morale of our troops since its not outside critics but the C in C himself admitting to mistakes?

15. Sishir Chang

If GW Bush is going to look to previous Admins to see how to handle damage control and mea culpas Clinton is about the best. I doubt there's any president who's had the scandal that Clinton had and still remained so popular.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh you poor baby ~ btw who are you?

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Frankly most Americans are level headed enough to realize a blow job did not have much to do with running the country. That is why there was never more than about the same 29% who still support Bush who were in favor of impeachment for a blow job or even for lying about one while the country was at peace with a good economy.

18. Sishir Chang

^ I will agree it was kind of a ridiculous scandal but there have been people brought down by far more ridiculous scandals. It still took a person of great charisma with a keen political mind to not only weather it but also gain from it. If the Lewinsky scandal had hit GH Bush or Carter I'm guessing they're not only impeached but removed from office.

19. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Massive attempt to regather lost favor. Massive failure.

What is the guy trying to achieve other than the afforementioned? ... I concede he may have helped his chances of having Hollywood one day attempt to chronicle his mis-adventures on the big screen.

Is that his ultimate goal?

Call the movie 'Brokeback President'.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Where is the apology exactly? Dear Mr and Mrs America, I apologize for throwing this nation into war with less than all the facts, with insufficient troop levels, with terrible planning, and without the legitimacy of international law. Where is that?