1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

burglary, need advice on door security ....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 16, 2009.

1. what

what Member

First of all, let me say that I have just been robbed for the second time in the span of 7 months. Both times they took my big screen tv. I believe I must be a target because they see that I have an hd satellite dish. I also believe that there is an absolute 100 % chance they are going to hit me up again, which is the reason for the thread.

After the first break in, let me just say I secured the door jam with the strike master II. The stike master 2 basically prevents the door from being kicked in.

Here is the link: http://www.asafehome.net/index.html

I figured that if I had that then it would deter the thevies, and I certainly don't want to become best buy for my neighborhood. However, they just brought in a crowbar and bend the damn jam until they could force their way in.

So here is what I am thinking:

I obviously need multiple layers of security. Just a head up about my apartment. I have a front door & backdoor. The backdoor is what they use, it provides supreme cover, because when you are on the patio you can't be seen in any direction.

Question, has anybody used or had any experiece with a Katy Bar?

I am thinking about using a Katy Bar, in conjuction with a Strike Master 2 and some sort of door handle alarm system. Home Depot sells one for about 10 dollars. This way I've made it extremely difficult for them to get in and to get in they will have to set off the alarm system.

Will this work, and what's your opinion. Is their a better way, and what about window entry, I know if thieves what your crap bad enough they'll do anything. Should I reinforce the windows with those sticks and add an alarm system to them as well?

2. updawg

updawg Member

I'd move

3. what

what Member

Moving really doesn't help. Yes, I understand people saying move because obvious I have somebody looking at me. But really, this kind of think happens no matter where you are at. And also, I have a lease that I have to keep for another 7 months. Breaking the lease would be equivlent to buying another tv 2 twice over since I'm going to have to get another tv anyway.

I've even contemplated getting a projection screen and a safe, but that's so problematic because who wants to put their things in a safe every time they leave the house.

Also, renter insurance really isn't a long term solution since apparently all they want is the tv which is a little over 800.00. If you count the deductible, it ain't worth it.

Sucurity is the key, and more rather than less, it seems is the trick.

4. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

Alarm for when you are not home?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some ideas:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/90FR8m-zEH4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/90FR8m-zEH4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Brinks aka Broadview Security.. it's award-winning... I guarantee you, you won't get robbed again if you have one of these things installed.

7. what

what Member

Have you ever been robbed genius? It takes a theive all of about 15 seconds to get in and out, without any reinforced doors, alarm won't deter your stuff being lifted and gone.

You fail.

8. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

The first reply had it right, just move.

9. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

At least there is an Audible sound that may alert others. With an alarm and the strikemaster this will make a great deterrent for many burglars.

10. what

what Member

I will when my lease is up, but that is 7 long months away. And moving still doesn't guarantee anything anything. Especially living in an apartment complex, where out of work lowlifes watch your every move & know your schedule like the back of your hand.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

which part of town to do you live in?

12. what

what Member

That's what i'm thinking. Do you think I need the katy bar too? http://www.katybar.com/

I wish I could find out of this really works

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the alarms are deafening. someone kicked in my parents back door once, presumably to rob them. the alarm went off...there is zero evidence the person even stepped in the house. nothing was taken.

having said that...if you live in an apartment, you shouldn't be installing an alarm system like that.

14. what

what Member

I live in Memphis, TN. Not in Texas.

15. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Try to find a town home to lease or a smaller house when you leave. If you go back to an apartment try finding an upper echelon complex that may help. The area where you live matters. You may have to pay more to live there, but it could be a place where you do not have to worry about the people you call "Low Lifes"

16. what

what Member

I group of thieves stole a 50 million dollar Picasso with a jack and a crowbar. I realize that an Alarm is important part of security, just not the only part. If your parents didn't get anything stolen, they were lucky. I mean the alarm is cool and it helps a lot, which me, as soon as they kick in the door my TV is right there. Why not grab it and go? The alarm is already going off. Maybe the thieves panicked.

17. what

what Member

Well I don'tt exactly live in the ghetto. I live in Bartlett which is outside of memphis. Mostly older people live here, but still there is crime.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

get a german shepherd. if that's not feasible, get one these at home depot:

alarm

attach them to all your windows and doors. as soon as a window or door is open the alarm will sound immediately. it won't call the security company like brinks but it's an immediate deterrent. trust me, it's really loud.

19. what

what Member

Yeah, I'm going to invest in some alarms.

Have you heard any success stories with the katy bar?

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I would think being broken in twice in 7 months is an acceptable excuse for the landlord for you to move out. Have you ever reported the first and second breakins to the apt management/cops? Try installing a video survellance camera and catch the thieves in the act.